• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Back in ‘13 I purchased the Savage 11VT. At the time I thought it was necessary to have a heavy barrel and a heavy chassis for accuracy and realized that’s not 100% true.
    I randomly came across the Sig Sauer Cross .308 today after work and fell in love!
    I’ve maybe put 100rds down range (Savage) and love it but it’s heavy and difficult to transport when traveling with friends.
    Is it worth forking out the $1,600 for the Sig or is it possible to cut the Savage to a threaded 16” barrel with an ~identical chassis (and optional 5-10rd magazines)?
    How much would that cost, and what would you do?

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Back in ‘13 I purchased the Savage 11VT. At the time I thought it was necessary to have a heavy barrel and a heavy chassis for accuracy and realized that’s not 100% true.
    I randomly came across the Sig Sauer Cross .308 today after work and fell in love!
    I’ve maybe put 100rds down range (Savage) and love it but it’s heavy and difficult to transport when traveling with friends.
    Is it worth forking out the $1,600 for the Sig or is it possible to cut the Savage to a threaded 16” barrel with an ~identical chassis (and optional 5-10rd magazines)?
    How much would that cost, and what would you do?
    It’s in the arsenal and I want to keep a bolt for 500+ yrds but I rarely bring it out cause it’s hard to manage space

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Put simply is it worth it to build the Savage or purchase the Sig? Compact & Lightweight.

Attachments

• 65E75408-380C-44B8-B578-BB0263670F9F.png
      65E75408-380C-44B8-B578-BB0263670F9F.png
      157.8 KB · Views: 41
    • EED9E207-92FE-4E49-B324-627F55AF8821.jpeg
      EED9E207-92FE-4E49-B324-627F55AF8821.jpeg
      539.1 KB · Views: 45
    Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The availability of aftermarket chassis and stocks for savage is somewhat limited due to the insistence on changing basic dimensions (think screw spacing) and function (think bolt release location and method) at savage.

If you want a cross, buy it. No argument from me about buying more guns.

If you want to keep the savage, you will need to do some.serious research to be sure a chassis is available in a form factor that you like that also fits your action.

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    The availability of aftermarket chassis and stocks for savage is somewhat limited due to the insistence on changing basic dimensions (think screw spacing) and function (think bolt release location and method) at savage.

If you want a cross, buy it. No argument from me about buying more guns.

If you want to keep the savage, you will need to do some.serious research to be sure a chassis is available in a form factor that you like that also fits your action.
    Thanks! This what I needed.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Thanks! This what I needed.
    I'm heavily biased towards custom rifles even for hunting so take my opinions with that in mind.

The cross is, in my opinion, a cheap Q Fix. I have not owned either rifle but have shot a cross and several Fixes. The Fix is definitely superior but it should be for the price.

I'm a huge snob for how a rifle "feels" both in hand and when cycling the bolt. The cross feels sloppy but so do savages and Remington. Indeed most factory offerings. Are seriously deficient in this area. Standout exceptions are Sako products like the 75/85 series and their Tikka t3 line. On par with surgeon and stiller custom actions right off the shelf (my opinion). For the price of a cross, you can buy a used sako trgs (rarer model but excellent) and I'd put my money on the sako in a shoot off every time. Add in that every trgs or 75 or 85 I've shot/owned cycles like it was a hand fitted custom rig and it's a winner for a factory gun. One 75 in particular is almost as slick as one of my Defiance actions. One of my t3s is on its second barrel (in 308) so it has some rounds on it. It's like glass and almost as good as my "best " Defiance.

If you plan on shooting a lot, be aware that the cross folding mechanism is not "time tested" and looks a bit questionable to me. Again I am a snob and dont like wobble in mecchajisms. I've owned a few folders and the only one I suggest without any qualifying statements is the krg whiskey 3. I own a gen 1 (on 6 currently) that has seen a lot of use. It has been an anvil. I don't own an AX but three guys I know who use their gear hard have all said that they are solid. The MPA folder sucked so bad I went back to a fixed rear end.

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    I'm heavily biased towards custom rifles even for hunting so take my opinions with that in mind.

The cross is, in my opinion, a cheap Q Fix. I have not owned either rifle but have shot a cross and several Fixes. The Fix is definitely superior but it should be for the price.

I'm a huge snob for how a rifle "feels" both in hand and when cycling the bolt. The cross feels sloppy but so do savages and Remington. Indeed most factory offerings. Are seriously deficient in this area. Standout exceptions are Sako products like the 75/85 series and their Tikka t3 line. On par with surgeon and stiller custom actions right off the shelf (my opinion). For the price of a cross, you can buy a used sako trgs (rarer model but excellent) and I'd put my money on the sako in a shoot off every time. Add in that every trgs or 75 or 85 I've shot/owned cycles like it was a hand fitted custom rig and it's a winner for a factory gun. One 75 in particular is almost as slick as one of my Defiance actions. One of my t3s is on its second barrel (in 308) so it has some rounds on it. It's like glass and almost as good as my "best " Defiance.

If you plan on shooting a lot, be aware that the cross folding mechanism is not "time tested" and looks a bit questionable to me. Again I am a snob and dont like wobble in mecchajisms. I've owned a few folders and the only one I suggest without any qualifying statements is the krg whiskey 3. I own a gen 1 (on 6 currently) that has seen a lot of use. It has been an anvil. I don't own an AX but three guys I know who use their gear hard have all said that they are solid. The MPA folder sucked so bad I went back to a fixed rear end.
    Amazing, Thanks! I know distance shooting isn’t best with a folding stock. I’m not Military just distance for hunting.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Amazing, Thanks! I know distance shooting isn’t best with a folding stock. I’m not Military just distance for hunting.
    I shot a gallon challenge at a mile with a 260 in my whiskey 3 folder. If the lockup is well designed folders are fine. Most are not well designed. At least from a durability point of view.

My friend hunts with an AIAX in 308 and it is a folder. Been rock solid for him.

I've never been in the US military either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom