I’m new to shotguns could someone please help?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daniel09

Mar 24, 2023
    Maryland
    Kalashnikov usa,if You want a semi-auto shotgun.
    Pump action i would go with a Benelli.

Lastly,i would go with a 18" barrel not a 20" unless You are using it for clays/skeet shooting.
    Great thanks for your help! I’ll look into the ones you mentioned

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    OP, I’ll try to find the link but there is a defensive shotgun class being hosted at AGC next month maybe. If I remember right, they will provide shotguns to use and ammo with the cost. I have no first hand experience with the instructor but sounds like fun.

Also taking a class at a trap and skeet range is a great intro to shotguns in general. Most places will let you rent or borrow for the class.

ETA: I was way off. It’s in August.

https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/home-defense-shotgun-class.274036/

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Guess the OP missed all the times you guys asked him what his intended use was.

I was talking to my neighbor this morning at the bus stop. He has a Remington 870 and really likes it for the home, but he started talking o/u for shooting clays. I tried to hide my SHOCKED face. Found out he has gone clays shooting before, but just trap. Then, another neighbor saw us out talking and he came out and started chatting too. Going to try to shoot some sporting clays the first weekend of May as both of them have only ever shot trap.

Somewhat surprised either of them have shot clay discs before.

OP - what do you want to use the shotgun for? Baseball bat, paddle, home defense, clays, hunting...........................

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    As an NRA Shotgun Instructor and NSCA Clays Instructor, my first comment about an AR style shotgun.....RUN as far as you can. Most people I've seen try to shoot these can't hit the proverbial "broadside of a barn" and most were decent shots with their regular shotguns.

Now, the second comment/question would be "intended use"?? Hint! Hint!!

For an inexpensive general use shotgun, my recommendation would be a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 combo. They are fairly inexpensive, built like tanks, and have a long service history. The shorter "slug" barrel for home defense and big game hunting (my Mossberg smooth bore slug barrel will hold "minute of pie plate" at 150 yards, plenty accurate for big game in MD). T.I.A.- 3x9 scope on that gun. The 28" barrel with interchangeable chokes will handle anything else...Clays or hunting.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Did anyone encourage him to do an "Intro" first? Now that his first post/question has been answered will he disappear never to contribute?
    Nah, OP started another very similar thread on which SA .22 is a good one. Might be out after that one though unless he's also thinking about needing a .380. :innocent0

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Guess the OP missed all the times you guys asked him what his intended use was.

I was talking to my neighbor this morning at the bus stop. He has a Remington 870 and really likes it for the home, but he started talking o/u for shooting clays. I tried to hide my SHOCKED face. Found out he has gone clays shooting before, but just trap. Then, another neighbor saw us out talking and he came out and started chatting too. Going to try to shoot some sporting clays the first weekend of May as both of them have only ever shot trap.

Somewhat surprised either of them have shot clay discs before.

OP - what do you want to use the shotgun for? Baseball bat, paddle, home defense, clays, hunting...........................
    Second weekend at Littlestown???...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Second weekend at Littlestown???...

I actually mentioned Littlestown and the 2nd and 4th weekend of the month. They were amenable to it. Probably going to bring my son, daughter, brothers, and dad along too if they have the time. My daughter is shooting some, but not well enough to shoot sporting clays. However, watching will help her understand what it entails.

Had a great time when I shot there with you and Possumman last June.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Did anyone encourage him to do an "Intro" first? Now that his first post/question has been answered will he disappear never to contribute?

Ehhh .

We're a vast storehouse of knowledge . Someone searching for information of any intersection between Guns and Maryland . will have the majority of search results br MDS . Any gun topic generally . will semi frequently have a MDS hit

If someone asks a reasonable - ish , non suspicious question , recieves several pertinent answers . cool . ( occasionally anyway ) .

Not necessarily This particular OP , but similar posters won't yet know enough to know what they don't know , until they delve in further to ( what they asked about ) . to have further questions , or provide progress reports .

If they don't have anything to say for a while . do you want them to troll or s***post just to be doing something , or just chill ?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Are you implying that if he did an intro he would stick around longer? My guess is he is new to firearms. He is looking for a shotgun, rimfire rifle, and maybe a centerfire rifle to round out the "collection".

I still haven't done my intro.

"Hey there guys, I'm fabsroman. I live in Carroll County and I have been a gunaholic for the past 47 years, since I was 4 years old. Not sure I will ever recover from this affliction, and I think a couple of my children have inherited the gene from me. To make matters worse, my wife is accepting of the affliction and has even joined in on a couple of occasions. My dad, brothers, and sisters also suffer from the same affliction and my sisters married guys with the affliction."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom