I’m new to shotguns could someone please help?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daniel09

Mar 24, 2023
    Maryland
    Hello, so I’m looking for a new affordable gun and I’m interested in a GForce Arms GF25 12 Gauge 20" Barrel. Two things… does someone recommend this shotgun? And most importantly is it legal to buy and possess in Maryland? I will leave the link with all the specifications on the shotgun.

Thanks

Attachments

• 8AF6590B-3C60-4A05-81B3-100B03068DDE.jpeg
      8AF6590B-3C60-4A05-81B3-100B03068DDE.jpeg
      27.6 KB · Views: 50

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    As appealing as those Turk shotguns may be to be eye...a lot of them are simply Bob Marley guns (always jammin') from seemingly vaporware companies that change name every 6 months, and I'd avoid them like the plague unless they're absolutely DIRT CHEAP. If you want a fun gun? Sure. If you want something you'd trust your life to? Buy a simple Mossberg Maverick for under $300 or a 500 for a little more than this Big Turkish and it'll last you a literal lifetime and always be dependent.

For semi-auto steer clear of ANYTHING Turkish or cheap, if it's both it's absolutely trash and WILL start shedding parts sooner than later. Good luck with the warranty on most of them too....as the companies, as mentioned above, change names so often and put out the same gun under another name to avoid poor reviews stacking up.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    The main question I have always wanted to ask people regarding these cheap 'tactical' turkish shotguns is "What do you want to do with this gun." IMO it doesn't do much of anything particularly well, except look cool.

If you want to shoot trap/skeet, I think you'll find you are better off with an over/under, SxS, semi, or pump in a traditional layout with a longer barrel. If you want to hunt, you are way better off with a purpose made slug gun. If you're looking for home defense, would you really want to trust your life to a shotgun of questionable quality? IMO something like a Mossberg 500 will do all 3 of these things better than the GForce.

So I would start by asking yourself, what do you want to accomplish with that gun?

I apologize that this doesn't answer your original question but you posted asking for advice and want you to make sure you spend your hard earned money on a gun that will meet your needs.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    The main question I have always wanted to ask people regarding these cheap 'tactical' turkish shotguns is "What do you want to do with this gun." IMO it doesn't do much of anything particularly well, except look cool.

If you want to shoot trap/skeet, I think you'll find you are better off with an over/under, SxS, semi, or pump in a traditional layout with a longer barrel. If you want to hunt, you are way better off with a purpose made slug gun. If you're looking for home defense, would you really want to trust your life to a shotgun of questionable quality? IMO something like a Mossberg 500 will do all 3 of these things better than the GForce.

So I would start by asking yourself, what do you want to accomplish with that gun?

I apologize that this doesn't answer your original question but you posted asking for advice and want you to make sure you spend your hard earned money on a gun that will meet your needs.
    To this I'll add Remington 870, Ithaca 37.
    I'm a Mossy guy but others prefer the Remmy.
    I also like my Ithaca.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Hello, so I’m looking for a new affordable gun and I’m interested in a GForce Arms GF25 12 Gauge 20" Barrel. Two things… does someone recommend this shotgun? And most importantly is it legal to buy and possess in Maryland? I will leave the link with all the specifications on the shotgun.

Thanks
    What is your intended purpose in buying a shotgun. They’re versatile firearms.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The big question :

Do you want an oversize EBR that just happens to be chambered for shotshells , or a " real" Shotgun ?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The most important piece of information, as has already been mentioned: what do you want to do with it?

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Depends on the intended purpose. If you want a tactical looking range gun then go for it. If you want a cheap reliable defense and range gun get a pump. I have had great durability and reliability with Remington 870, mossberg 500, the hr pardner pump, Stevens 320. The Steven’s 320 can be easily had with ghost ring sights and pistol grip for 2 something last I looked.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Agree with the previous posts - what is the primary intended use? If for home defense, I would go the path of a pump (Mossberg 500, Remington 870; both quality starting options that can be had in the $300-$500 range depending on sub-model) or non-AR/AK pattern semi-auto. For the latter the Stoeger M3000 Freedom series offers some affordable options. Stoeger is owned by Benelli and incorporates their inertia system into the M3K SAs.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    That gun is, uhh, not the best. Lot of cheap (in price as well as quality) Turkish shotguns out there. There are decent quality Turk guns out there (I have a great CZ Bobwhite G2 for example), but this is not one of them.

If you just want a toy to play with that goes bang 7 out of 10 times you pull the trigger, go for it. If your life will depend on it, or you want to hunt or compete with it (in other words, it will go bang 10 out of 10 times) get one of the above mentioned guns.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Another consideration is where will you be shooting it?

Something more traditional, you can take skeet shooting or hunting to stay proficient with it.

One like that, I think, would mostly be a range only gun. So, need to check to see if you have a range on which to shoot it enough to know that it works.

There are used police 870's for around $300 out there which could be a great option.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

$150.00​

Stevens 320 12 Gauge Pump Action Police Trade-In Shotgun​

$330.​

Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 Gauge Police Trade-In Shotgun with Telescoping Stock​

… does someone recommend this shotgun?

Food for thought: SHOW ME A LINK to where you can buy (actually order) additional magazines for that gun - today - cuz, if you can’t (and you don’t buy em same time you buy the gun) as soon as something happens to the mag you get w that gun you have a very tactikool-looking single shot … ;-/

Sirex