• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    Archery talk forum is a good one for getting used bows and equipment as well. Like MDS, you gotta be active on there for a bit with posts and such though.
    maryland whitetail fourm is another good resource , used bows come up from time to time .

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys for all the input! Autumn sky is on my way home from work, I think I’ll try those guys out. Lancaster archery certainly looked well set up but it is a bit of a ride. I’m not against buying a used bow if it’s gonna work for me. I’m in no rush and don’t mind shopping around or being coached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The guy who runs Bailey's Archery in Glen Rock PA who I highly recommended earlier in this thread used to work with one of the guys who runs Autumn Sky. He said that is a great store and the staff really knows their stuff (and this guy never seemed like the type to give out BS compliments, so I trust him)

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I'll take a different tack than outrider, although I don't necessarily disagree with him. I don't think you need the most bow you can afford. Any basic, brand (Bear, PSE, Diamond, etc) name bow will be fine (even a house branded bow is probably fine) for many years. A good setup and fit is what's critical, not the bow - especially for hunting/a beginner.

I shot a bear whitetail 2 for like 25 years. It wasn't the best by any means. Bought a PSE stinger kit (cheapest PSE made at the time I think) about 4 years ago for about $300 and believe me, I will always be the limiting factor. I'm solid at 30, could easily get solid at 40-50 if I spent more time with it.

Shoot a lot of arrows.

And don't get drawn to crossbows just because!! I picked one up a few years ago and I hate it. Suck a pain to cock each time. I could shoot 20 arrows out of a compound for every 1 out of the crossbow. Conventional bows are just so much more fun to shoot (at least for me, and yes, I know that there are better/easier crossbows). But lets face it, Bo and Luke Duke shot compounds, and that's why we all do it right? Or at least, that's why put the bug in my head as about a 7 year old...

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Shoot what ever you feel comfortable shooting. The DNR allows 30# but I think it should be recommended at 40#. My first deer was with a 45# recurve and a pass through. In 1990, I remember older guys then backing their bows down to 45# as the rage was 60# as more was manly and you know the typical chest beating guys do. One guy said "45# bow puts the arrows through the ribs and sticks it in the ground on the far side, sounds like more than enough bow to me." Plus heavy bows are proven to be harder on your shoulders.

The Whitetail 2 brings back memories. I always shot a Bear Black Bear, but I had friends that shot the whitetail 2. One even told me I was being unfair to the game still shooting the Black bear. All those old bows are decommissioned and gone mostly. Spare parts gone and my Bear Black Bear is still shot by my son.

IMO 45# is the sweet spot for killing whitetail and shooting more is okay, if you and your shoulder can handle it. Shooting over 60 is just straining yourself. If you grunt, groan or anything pulling the bow, it is too much for you to hunt with. My daughter shoots 40# and it knocks them dead. She is aiming for 45# but doesn't practice enough to build the muscles for it. She uses the Diamond bow Eva Shockley was pushing. She started at 35# and it just did not seem to have the same punch on the target and even she agreed.

Don't over bow yourself with money or draw weight. My daughter didn't do the latter but she did the first and spent way too much money. The cebelas bows are cheaper and they use major manufacturers to crank them out. They are probably last years models from Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt or who ever they can get an agreement with.

Last edited:

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Shoot what ever you feel comfortable shooting. The DNR allows 30# but I think it should be recommended at 40#. My first deer was with a 45# recurve and a pass through. In 1990, I remember older guys then backing their bows down to 45# as the rage was 60# as more was manly and you know the typical chest beating guys do. One guy said "45# bow puts the arrows through the ribs and sticks it in the ground on the far side, sounds like more than enough bow to me." Plus heavy bows are proven to be harder on your shoulders.

The Whitetail 2 brings back memories. I always shot a Bear Black Bear, but I had friends that shot the whitetail 2. One even told me I was being unfair to the game still shooting the Black bear. All those old bows are decommissioned and gone mostly. Spare parts gone and my Bear Black Bear is still shot by my son.

IMO 45# is the sweet spot for killing whitetail and shooting more is okay, if you and your shoulder can handle it. Shooting over 60 is just straining yourself. If you grunt, groan or anything pulling the bow, it is too much for you to hunt with. My daughter shoots 40# and it knocks them dead. She is aiming for 45# but doesn't practice enough to build the muscles for it. She uses the Diamond bow Eva Shockley was pushing. She started at 35# and it just did not seem to have the same punch on the target and even she agreed.

Don't over bow yourself with money or draw weight. My daughter didn't do the latter but she did the first and spent way too much money. The cebelas bows are cheaper and they use major manufacturers to crank them out. They are probably last years models from Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt or who ever they can get an agreement with.

+1 on this. I think I used to shoot my old whitetail 2 at 60. It was unnecessary.

I shoot the PSE at 55, but it has much better letoff than the WT2, so hold weight is much lower. I should probably drop the draw on the PSE, but I'm used to it at this point.

#1 is just shoot a lot. That usually equates to being able to shoot in the backyard IMHO...

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    The guy who runs Bailey's Archery in Glen Rock PA who I highly recommended earlier in this thread used to work with one of the guys who runs Autumn Sky. He said that is a great store and the staff really knows their stuff (and this guy never seemed like the type to give out BS compliments, so I trust him)
    autumn sky is a good shop , i've bought accessories from them , never a bow , but they always take time to talk to you .

Layenlo5pt0

Nov 3, 2022
    Port deposit
    You will never financially recover from this! Lol it is a great and fun experience but as with everything else these days it costs a lot of money. It is also very rewarding. Practice a lot, only take shots you are comfortable with. Get a bow that fits you and one that you just flat out love to
    Shoot! Enjoy
    So I went in Lancaster archery with a buddy today and holly cow! Think I wanna go down this rabbit hole. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapat

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom