• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    OP, those are some nice pictures, but the one where he's hanging up on a gambrel is suspiciously missing. You should rectify that.

As for hunting from the house. The previous owner of my current house used to shoot any groundhogs from inside the house by way of a 12ga and an open window in the bathroom, rear bedroom, or dining room. Between being a retired artilleryman and that activity, it's no reason he's deaf as a stump!
    What?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    OP, those are some nice pictures, but the one where he's hanging up on a gambrel is suspiciously missing. You should rectify that.

As for hunting from the house. The previous owner of my current house used to shoot any groundhogs from inside the house by way of a 12ga and an open window in the bathroom, rear bedroom, or dining room. Between being a retired artilleryman and that activity, it's no reason he's deaf as a stump!
    Based on where they often are around my house, I am often popping ground hog's from my son's bedroom window. It is the one window in the house I haven't gotten around to fixing the screen, so it is the only one that doesn't have a screen in it (he has two windows). Nice and low window sill so I can sit on the ground and have a nice rest. Just crack it open 6 inches. My neighbor wants them gone too, and her shed is 25yds from my son's window. Usually, 2-3 a season burrow under the corner of her shed. Most of the rest take up residence under another neighbor's shed 100yds further down and happen to wander on to my property from time to time...

The occasional one takes up residence in my back woods and wander up on to the limited lawn I have. I popped one out my back slider as it prairie dogged on the edge of my back porch. Some out of my garage window in the side yard. Heck, I think 75% of the ground hogs around here get shot from in my house. My wife has gotten tolerant of it, but my son has given me crap finding 22lr brass in his bed a couple of times. At some point I need a 22lr bolt gun rather than just my suppressed 10/22.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah that brass goes everywhere. when i shoot from my garage, the brass ends up in the dog's water dish, shoes and boots, behind piles of clutter, some bounces off the wall and ends up under my vehicle on the other side...

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    30 years ago, I was shooting at a groundhog from inside my house through an opened window . I learned a lesson about scope site line vr. barrel height at close range that day. ...yup....22 went through the lower part of the aluminum storm window. I can still hear that loud pinging noise in my head. BTW....I missed the target that time

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Full disclosure, I pop them from my basement sliding door with a Remington Mod. 33 often using CCI .22 Shorts (hollow point, copper washed). The neighbors never even know a shot was fired.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    brother came over after work, we had a few does in the corner of the backyard about 100yds, popped one with rifle resting on the garbage can surround. only the 2nd deer i've seen that truly bang-flopped, didn't move an inch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom