HUH ? Loose Fitting .50 Cal Muzzleloader Sabots...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    This is a Bullet Casting / Reloading question, so, I have to post here as well.

I went to sight in my Rossi .50 muzzleloader today and I found that my cast bullets, which I make several different sizes for all of my muzzleloaders, would not seal tightly in the bore of this Rossi. Anyone else ever have a problem with a sabot Muzzleloader bullet being just loose enough that you literally push it down with a finger ? I even triple checked to make sure they were the same .50 sabots I have been using for a few years now and make sure they were not .45 sabots. I have made thousands of Muzzleloader bullets and I can create this same combination blind folded, but, this Rossi is a hair over bore it seems. I can solve this issue, but, I wish I didn't have to.

I make several grain weight bullets in .45 cal and I size them to be used with a Harvester Crush Rib #H15045BR sabot. They all work great in all of my other Muzzleloaders, but only one version fits in this gun snug enough to use the ramrod. I guess I am going to cast the bullets and not run them through the .45 sizing die.

I'm confused. I have never had this problem, nor do I know anyone who has.

I can only get one of my bullet/sabot combo's to fit, but, I don't even cast this bullet, so, that really sucks. I can also get the 50 cal Lee REAL bullets to fit, but, I hate those things. I may have to use them in this gun regardless.

Slug the barrel on the Rossi and see what you get. I've never had bullets so loose that I can start them with my fingers. If a bit loose, you can knurl the bullet between two flat files. I had to do that to a box of Barnes Originals (.458) that for some reason seemed loose in my Savage barrel.

Plastic sabots do change in hardness as they age and probably in size. I've never thought that they do enough to matter, but perhaps it's true that they do.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Slug the barrel on the Rossi and see what you get. I've never had bullets so loose that I can start them with my fingers. If a bit loose, you can knurl the bullet between two flat files. I had to do that to a box of Barnes Originals (.458) that for some reason seemed loose in my Savage barrel.

Plastic sabots do change in hardness as they age and probably in size. I've never thought that they do enough to matter, but perhaps it's true that they do.

These sabots are brand spanking new. I just got them in last week from Bud's Gun Shop because they had the cheapest price this time. That doesn't mean that they have not been setting on the shelf for a while of course, but, I can not imagine for a second that they have shrunk that much. I know plastic can get hard a brittle over time, but, these new sabots are nice and soft like they should be. LEE R.E.A.L. bullets fit perfectly, but, I have come to dislike these bullets.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have resolved the loose fitting bullet issue. At least I have a plan...

I put a small circle of paper around the base of the bullet and then seated the bullet in the sabot. The fit is 110% perfect. I think if I cast my bullets at .45 cal and don't size them like I do for my other ML's then this issue is solved. The problem is I don't have .45's cast that are not sized... I will fire up the melting pot later.

I tried a small section of my 5/8" shrink tubing and that was way too much. I then tried a single wrap of electrical tape and that was too much. I also tried a single wrap of paper ink jet label and that was too much.

My last attempt of course was a small paper circle placed under the bullet and that was perfect. The paper circle acts like something of a gas check and expands the sabot walls to the right diameter. The sabot and bullet do not fit so tightly that you have to break the ramrod to get it home, but, it is easy enough to seat in the barrel without over-excersion. Now to cast some .45 cal and try to remember not to size them.

Attachments

• .50 cal Rossi fit issue.jpg
      .50 cal Rossi fit issue.jpg
      16.1 KB · Views: 439

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well I cast 125 bullets tonight for the Rossi. I only sized one at .452 to check the fit with my sabots and come to find out I don't have to size them at all. .457 works just fine.

So now I have a brand new .452 sizing kit I don't really need. Don't that figure. I ran 4 of the .457 bullets with the sabots down the bore and they fit perfectly without sizing. I can simply load this muzzleloader with bullets as cast. Now I have 125 super shiny bullets I can go sight this gun in with and enjoy shooting it.

That raps up the issue with this gun. Problem solved.

Attachments

• 125 .45 CAL NO SIZE FOR ROSSI CAST AS .457.jpg
      125 .45 CAL NO SIZE FOR ROSSI CAST AS .457.jpg
      34.3 KB · Views: 451
    Well I cast 125 bullets tonight for the Rossi. I only sized one at .452 to check the fit with my sabots and come to find out I don't have to size them at all. .457 works just fine.

Yes, you can use .457 and .458 with the Harvester Crush Rib Sabots. They have enough give in the ribs to fit with the bigger bullet. You can also use the MMP Orange sabots that you ordered.

I only shoot .458 bullets now. With more of the bore taken up by bullet and less by plastic, the sabot will withstand higher pressures. At least that's the theory.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yes, you can use .457 and .458 with the Harvester Crush Rib Sabots. They have enough give in the ribs to fit with the bigger bullet. You can also use the MMP Orange sabots that you ordered.

I only shoot .458 bullets now. With more of the bore taken up by bullet and less by plastic, the sabot will withstand higher pressures. At least that's the theory.

When I use the Harvester Crush Rib sabots in all of my other guns I have to size my .457 bullets down to .451 or they will not go in to the muzzle at all. This Rossi is well over-sized compared to all of my other guns. The only issue with using the as-cast .457 bullet is that it does not fully seat in the base of the sabot, but, it seats enough to do the job. If I could only size that first band at the base of the bullet it would be a super perfect fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom