• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluemoon

Jul 24, 2022
    Benton LA Bossier Parish
    Thank goodness as a Retired Louisiana State Trooper I am able to carry concealed as long as I carry my retired ID and have qualified with my firearm. Fortunately my local sheriffs office qualifies any retired officer for free and furnishes the ammunition. The Bossier Parish Sheriff also furnishes any retired LEO in Bossier Parish (County) with a Sheriffs commission. Nice way to have a lot of help if needed.
    How does this work in Maryland?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Thank goodness as a Retired Louisiana State Trooper I am able to carry concealed as long as I carry my retired ID and have qualified with my firearm. Fortunately my local sheriffs office qualifies any retired officer for free and furnishes the ammunition. The Bossier Parish Sheriff also furnishes any retired LEO in Bossier Parish (County) with a Sheriffs commission. Nice way to have a lot of help if needed.
    If you’re carrying under the provisions of LEOSA… there is nothing to worry about, so long as you do not carry into areas where the applicable laws prohibit the practice.

Read here: https://le.nra.org/understanding-leosa/off-limit-areas/

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Clarify first.
    Are you moving to Maryland? If becoming a resident, you have to qualify here in Maryland. You can't live in one state and shoot your LEOSA qual in another.
    If visiting, do what LEOSA states and carry within the carry laws of the states you visit.
    There ya go.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Call or contact your local Sherrifs Office near where you live in MD. They may require you to up date your shooting qualifications. Also, in MD there are areas you cannot carry in. Check out the link it has some good info.

A person shall have a permit issued under this subtitle before the person carries, wears, or transports a handgun.
    Put simply, unless one has a permit issued by the Maryland State Police, they cannot carry a handgun legally in MD (not counting law enforcement or those issued a permit under LEOSA). Residents of other states can apply for a Maryland permit no differently than Maryland residents, however. Applicants must be trained (or training exempt) by a MSP Qualified Handgun Instructor and must be LiveScan fingerprinted by an entity in Maryland. Many states do recognize Maryland permits and some states will issue their permit to a Maryland resident who holds a Maryland Wear and Carry permit. See the HandgunLaw.us page for Maryland for more information on reciprocity.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Call or contact your local Sherrifs Office near where you live in MD. They may require you to up date your shooting qualifications. Also, in MD there are areas you cannot carry in. Check out the link it has some good info.[/URL]
    An out of state LEOSA carrier cannot be qualed from another state. It HAS to be done in the state of which you reside. So, no. No agency in Maryland can qual a person from Louisiana.

And on a side note, if you move to MD and have say 6 months left on your LEOSA, it's no good. You have to qual in Maryland to be valid.
    Or let's say, your LEOSA card and your Driver's license need to be from the same state.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Residents of other states can apply for a Maryland permit no differently than Maryland residents, however. Applicants must be trained (or training exempt) by a MSP Qualified Handgun Instructor and must be LiveScan fingerprinted by an entity in Maryland.

Just to add, unless he would claim a Veteran exemption for the training, he would need to do the training. Any law enforcement exemption would be ACTIVE LEO's, retired federal and retired from a STATE OR LOCAL agency WITHIN Maryland.
    And out of state retiree cannot claim LEO exemption. Sort of like a dc cop doesn't qualify for an HQL exemption.

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    At least you're covered in the state if you miss a LEOSA qual. Same reason I am getting my MD permit. At least I can carry in the state until I get a qual appointment should I miss one.
    I live and work in the same state, but it's a Federal LEO ID.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Clarify first.
    Are you moving to Maryland? If becoming a resident, you have to qualify here in Maryland. You can't live in one state and shoot your LEOSA qual in another.
    If visiting, do what LEOSA states and carry within the carry laws of the states you visit.
    There ya go.
    Under LEOSA , you may qualify with your old agency , OR any any agency in your current state of residence . Never say never , but most agencies in Md charge . if they are will to do the quals at all .

Once upon a decade ( before 218) at least one Sheriff in Md would issue Deputy creds to any retired Fed LEO in his County . But with subsequent changes in Cert standards , they would have had to meet all the inservice training requirements of active Deputies , so it isn't a thing anymore .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Under LEOSA , you may qualify with your old agency , OR any any agency in your current state of residence . Never say never , but most agencies in Md charge . if they are will to do the quals at all .

Once upon a decade ( before 218) at least one Sheriff in Md would issue Deputy creds to any retired Fed LEO in his County . But with subsequent changes in Cert standards , they would have had to meet all the inservice training requirements of active Deputies , so it isn't a thing anymore .
    Not sure what you're saying? Of course you MAY qualify with your agency, if they do it. Many don't. Charles County SO charges 50 bucks. MPTC in Sykesville charges 50 bucks too. CCSO after covid stopped doing outside agencies because they couldn't handle onslaught of apps. St. Mary's also just quals their own. AA county quals their own.
    PG community college charges 125.
    I've qualed with CCSO twice and once with the state in Sykesville. I will always qual with them because we can make a yearly appointment that day so we lock our slot in.

Not sure how the sheriff (back in the day) would "deputize" Feds in his county, because the state of Maryland does not recognize Federal Agents and Police as "peace officers of the state" to make misdemeanor arrests, etc.... How can they have powers of arrest and he accept the vicarious liability of retirees running around the state under his purview.

What agency do you qual with?

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Ok, I was gonna post a thread asking about what qualifies for former LEO under LEOSA but I’ll threadjack. I think my dad qualifies and that is better than the permit. He has his dd214 so he doesn’t have to do the training. What is the best route for him to go?

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Thanks. That’s helpful. What do you do to get the card? My dad is retired from fed but was an MP and SPO (more than 10 years).
    ATTENTION RETIRED / SEPARATED MEMBERS OF THE ARMED SERVICES

Based upon information recently received from the armed services, ALL veterans of the armed forces who plan to attend any future LEOSA class at the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission will be required to present a valid “Qualified DOD Law Enforcement Officer” card from their respective branch of the military. This is necessary to ensure service members from all branches have been properly vetted and meet all requirements of 18 USC 926C. We have learned that information contained on DD-214’s does not always give a full or accurate account of the member’s service record, or lack thereof, as it pertains to whether or not the minimum requirements have been met.

This card is required regardless of any documents or paperwork provided on previous training dates. LEOSA training will not be offered to retired or separated members of the armed services who do not have the card on their person at the time of training. New students will be required to possess a valid card before being scheduled for their first training date. If you need further information or have questions on obtaining a card, renewing your card or any other issues, please visit the Defense Consulting Services website at https://leosaonline.com. Further information may be found at:

Defense Consulting Services general.army@defenseconsultingservice.com

15750 IH 10 W general.navy@defenseconsultingservice.com

San Antonio, TX 78249 general.coastguard@defenseconsultingservice.com

1-866-384-3570 general.airforce@defenseconsultingservice.com

Examples of these cards are shown below and it must cite 926C on the bottom left hand corner. Those cards citing 926B will not be accepted as they are for active duty personnel. Please remember some of these cards have expiration dates on them (5 years typically) and some are indefinite. Expired cards will not be accepted.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    If you have any questions, let me know. I've had my LEOSA since 2011. They just sprang this new requirement on us this year. Entailed fingerprints ($50 through fieldprint) and DoD application ($166). I actually got my card in about 2 months. Since you mentioned MP (leosaarmy.com). LEOSA renewal is yearly ($50) and requires 3 hours of classroom instruction along with FBI/MSP qualification (80 rounds, strong arm/weak arm, 3, 5, 7, 15 yards, day fire, simulated night fire (welders googles) and is conducted by the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission in Sykesville, MD.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
      unnamed (1).jpg
      15.4 KB · Views: 52
    • unnamed.jpg
      unnamed.jpg
      14.6 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members