HQL Training: Do you issue a certificate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HQL Training Certificates: To issue, or to not issue?

• I'm an HQL trainer, and I DO issue Certificates of Training.

Votes: 6 75.0%
    • I'm an HQL trainer, and I DO NOT issue Certificates of Training.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I may or may not be an HQL trainer, but I think that certificates SHOULD be issued.

Votes: 1 12.5%
    • I may or may not be an HQL trainer, but I think that certificates SHOULD NOT be issued.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Some HQL trainers issue students a certificate of training, and some do not.

I'm interested in hearing different perspectives on why certificates should or should not be given to students.

Is it as simple as it's just easier/fewer logistics & expense to not do it, or perhaps there are deeper reasons?

Thanks for your input!

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Instructors are required to issue a certificate under COMAR 29.03.01.37

.37 Qualified Handgun Instructor — Generally.
    C. Upon a person’s satisfactory completion of an applicable firearms training course, a Qualified Handgun Instructor shall:
    (1) Provide the person a Firearms Safety Training Certificate that includes:
    (a) The person’s name and date of birth;
    (b) The instructor’s name;
    (c) Whether the completed course was a Firearms Safety Training Course or a Handgun Permit Training Course;
    (d) The length in hours of the course;
    (e) The date of course completion;
    (f) The location of the training;
    (g) A declaration certifying that the course met the minimum standards prescribed by the Secretary; and
    (h) A declaration certifying that the person completed the course; and
    (2) Submit the requisite information to the Licensing Division, Department of State Police, as prescribed by the Secretary.

If it were me, I would issue a "Certificate of Attendance" as opposed to a "Certificate of Completion". A certificate is also beneficial to the student should the MSP lose the paperwork.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Instructors are required to issue a certificate under COMAR 29.03.01.37

.37 Qualified Handgun Instructor — Generally.
    C. Upon a person’s satisfactory completion of an applicable firearms training course, a Qualified Handgun Instructor shall:

If it were me, I would issue a "Certificate of Attendance" as opposed to a "Certificate of Completion". A certificate is also beneficial to the student should the MSP lose the paperwork.

The perfect answer - of course it would be from you! :thumbsup: I have a "Certificate of Training", but I think changing it to a "Certificate of Attendance" makes sense. Also, thanks for the verbiage, I have most, but not all of the items.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    FYI: I am really liking Regonline.com for course & registration managment.

There are many appealing features. Besides being almost completely hands-off, and the option to pass fees on to the registrant, I can take credit cards, manage menus, and print certificates (or name badges, place cards, etc.) for attendees with a click of the mouse.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Saving trees?

Although I provide a certificate, (suitable for framing!), I email the student a PDF instead of chopping down trees. Something about being a BoD officer in a conservation club or something. Now I just gotta get the club to stop using styrofoam coffee cups!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom