• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • should_have

Aug 9, 2013
    My HQL checklist status shows "Questions" as "Incomplete".

Does that mean the questions I submitted are incomplete on my application?

Will MSP email something is wrong with my application or am I supposed to try and figure out what is wrong?

Or are the "Questions" in MSP hands?

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• HQL Checklist.png
      HQL Checklist.png
      15.3 KB · Views: 97

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Why not wait a week or two to find out if you even need one anymore?

should_have

Aug 9, 2013
    That would be a nice early Christmas present but I'm sure Scrooge will somehow succeed in putting coal in our stockings.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    My HQL checklist status shows "Questions" as "Incomplete".

Does that mean the questions I submitted are incomplete on my application?

Will MSP email something is wrong with my application or am I supposed to try and figure out what is wrong?

Or are the "Questions" in MSP hands?

Thanks, Mike
    Hello Mike,

Have you also included your attachments? I would review it and see if you missed a question.

You can also write to msp.hql@maryland.gov for assistance.

should_have

Aug 9, 2013
    Hello Mike,

Have you also included your attachments? I would review it and see if you missed a question.

You can also write to msp.hql@maryland.gov for assistance.
    Yes I included attachments and didn't think I could submit an application if something was missing on said application. I'm afraid to go in and review anything as terrible as this web site is. I had to go in a third time this morning to reset my account, could not log-in last night! Fortunately I'm able to keep the same password :)

I'm thinking I will wait a day or two since it will be over 30days before buying a hand gun because I just bought a Complete Lower for an AR-15 last night :)

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Yes I included attachments and didn't think I could submit an application if something was missing on said application. I'm afraid to go in and review anything as terrible as this web site is. I had to go in a third time this morning to reset my account, could not log-in last night! Fortunately I'm able to keep the same password :)

I'm thinking I will wait a day or two since it will be over 30days before buying a hand gun because I just bought a Complete Lower for an AR-15 last night :)

Okay, the msp responds within a day and they should be able to help you if it doesn't work.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That's fine, if you only purchase handguns from out of state that are on the C&R list or 50 years old or older. 03 FFL is not allowed for handgun transfers between two entities within MD,
    Yes they are, still requires a 77R and a 7 day wait, but no HQL required.

and won't work for modern handguns.
    Depends on what you consider modern since 1973, and in a little over a month 1974 somewhat modern.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yes they are, still requires a 77R and a 7 day wait, but no HQL required.

Depends on what you consider modern since 1973, and in a little over a month 1974 somewhat modern.

So, I've yet to find a 01 in MD that will take a 03 and no HQL. And while the law may say one thing, we all know that in the end, the 01 (or 02) imposes whatever rules they wish, above and beyond the law, to cover their rears. Not saying there aren't any FFLs that would allow 03 without HQL, but I've yet to find one.

By "modern" I mean recent. Sig P365, Glocks, etc.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Apply for a designated collector letter from MSP and forget all about that one a month BS. And it's no charge too.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So, I've yet to find a 01 in MD that will take a 03 and no HQL. And while the law may say one thing, we all know that in the end, the 01 (or 02) imposes whatever rules they wish, above and beyond the law, to cover their rears. Not saying there aren't any FFLs that would allow 03 without HQL, but I've yet to find one.

You can't use the 03 within Maryland but if a handgun is C&R eligable no HQL is required, 77r and 7 day wait still applies. There's an HQL exception right on the 77r for it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

An 03 is NOT required to purchase a C&R without an HQL.
    A C&R handgun DOES NOT require an HQL per State Statute, it does still require a 77r and a 7 day wait. C&R is an HQL exemption on the 77R.

If you can't find an FFL that understands this, then you need to find a better class of FFL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So, I've yet to find a 01 in MD that will take a 03 and no HQL.

Since we are speaking Handguns specifically , in Maryland :

Take the 003 out of the equasion either way .

C&R Eligible Handgun + No HQL = No Problem ( well no more than 77R & 7 days inherently ) .

When 77R was dead tree , there was a box to check . Online , click on exempt , a Dropbox will appear , click on the C&R option .

I did this for 10 years .

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    An 03 is NOT required to purchase a C&R without an HQL.
    A C&R handgun DOES NOT require an HQL per State Statute, it does still require a 77r and a 7 day wait. C&R is an HQL exemption on the 77R.

If you can't find an FFL that understands this, then you need to find a better class of FFL.
    Yes this is correct. I just bought a Browning Hi-Power made in 1969 from Erie, PA, had it shipped to my FFL (minus the 13 round magazine).
    I do NOT have an HQL. I do NOT have a C&R.
    I filled out the 77r online and checked EXEMPT, then checked the reason C&R.
    After 7 days I got the "not disapproved" and picked up my gun.
    Somewhere it also says that the FFL and State police will verify the C&R statis of the handgun.
    Of course all of this does not apply to the OP's question.

should_have

Aug 9, 2013
    That's fine, if you only purchase handguns from out of state that are on the C&R list or 50 years old or older. 03 FFL is not allowed for handgun transfers between two entities within MD, and won't work for modern handguns.
    "and won't work for modern handguns." I believe this sums it up for me. Never say never but I will only be, probably, purchasing a modern hand-gun. Additionally I don't foresee more than 3 handguns.

Thanks

should_have

Aug 9, 2013
    Ok, so I have not received any correspondence from MSP about my HQL License. Per the web site:

Pending - Application has been received. Application is being processed or waiting for required documentation from applicant. You will be contacted for any shortage.

Checklist Information:

Questions: Incomplete
    - have not received documentation from applicant

What Documentation? This morning I will send correspondence to MSP to see what to do to remedy the situation. Against my better judgement, I Logged-in yesterday to see if I can review anything that I submitted, but that was a nogo.

I did some googling on the internet and found a MD Dealer had posted some pictorial directions for applying for an HQL. There is a section where you filled out a 3-page questioner with Y or N that you were required to print, sign, scan and upload said document! That part I did not do, I filled out the form but I thought I just acknowledged electronically all of the above is correct!

Fingers crossed it is something simple…

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Ok, so I have not received any correspondence from MSP about my HQL License. Per the web site:

Pending - Application has been received. Application is being processed or waiting for required documentation from applicant. You will be contacted for any shortage.

Checklist Information:

Questions: Incomplete
    - have not received documentation from applicant

What Documentation? This morning I will send correspondence to MSP to see what to do to remedy the situation. Against my better judgement, I Logged-in yesterday to see if I can review anything that I submitted, but that was a nogo.

I did some googling on the internet and found a MD Dealer had posted some pictorial directions for applying for an HQL. There is a section where you filled out a 3-page questioner with Y or N that you were required to print, sign, scan and upload said document! That part I did not do, I filled out the form but I thought I just acknowledged electronically all of the above is correct!

Fingers crossed it is something simple…

Here are the instructions I send my students after completing the HQL course. You may have already seen this. I'm sure they will notify you if additional information is needed; if not, call or e-mail within a few days.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Licensing Division Documents/HQL guide.pdf

should_have

Aug 9, 2013
    I literally was going to send an email to MSP when I received an email from
    Christopher Hall, Master Trooper, that your FBI Privacy Act statement is missing from your application. Please read, sign and email it back to this email.

Done, hopefully I will have my HQL shortly :fingerscrossed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom