• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    b21f560d8304e5db01ce1e25e77bb6fd.jpg

Like I said. You have to fill out harvest record before moving the animal from place of kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    You are incorrect. The first thing you MUST do upon finding your deer is tag it. You can gut it whenever you wish(no law on that). If you fear losing the tag, you can put it in your pocket til you get the deer to your truck. You do not want to be caught with an un-tagged deer by the DNR Nazis. Before removing it from the woods, you MUST enter the kill in big game harvest record. It is a hefty fine if you fail to do so in Md.

Read what I said. I am 100% correct. I did not say CHECK IT IN. I Said you have to log it in your harvest record before moving it. I will post the proof on next post.

Place of kill is where the animal died. Approximately 400.00 fine to move that deer without harvest record being filled out

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    The regs say place of kill. It doesn't say upon recovery of the deer. This opens it up to inturpatation. To you it is whete the deer is found, to me it is before I leave the property I hunt on. The wording in the regs leaves a lot of argue room but one thing is clear for not be on the road with a deer that isn't taged.

You do not have to immediately check the deer in and put on harvest record. It is clear that you have 24 hours to do that part.

The reg is very clear this year as posted above. It is where the deer died.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I was out of a stand but not real high maybe 12 feet up. And only at 25 yards.
    On this farm I have shot more deer that didn't bleed for long time or only little bits here and there. For tracking I spend more time following the other signs this includes with my m.l. pistol 20 and 12 ga shot gun and arrows. Two years ago I using my m.l. pistol and made a bad hit. It hit to far back and littlerly gutted the deer I could see all the insides falling out. The deer ran several hundred yards before dieing not a single drop of blood could be found. I was able to recover that deer.

This EXACT thing happened to me last year. It was almost like I unzipped it. I couldn't believe my eyes at first. All its guts fell out and then it slowly trotted off. It only made it about 50 yards but I had trouble finding it since there was no blood.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Read what I said. I am 100% correct. I did not say CHECK IT IN. I Said you have to log it in your harvest record before moving it. I will post the proof on next post.

Place of kill is where the animal died. Approximately 400.00 fine to move that deer without harvest record being filled out

Don't know what you're talking about henn5849. I'm in full agreement with you. You are quoting my response to rickyp unless I just entered the Twylight Zone????? As to the fine, I know all about it, though not through personal experience.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Newbie hunter and haven't had the situation, but I would have tagged it and checked it (then pulled the tag after I dropped it elsewhere). Only if I confirmed it dead. If I hit it and could never find it I wouldn't (because there is a chance it wasn't a fatal wound). I'd feel torn up even more if it was a buck, but I would probably take the antlers in that case at least.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I had a similar thing happen to me my second year of hunting. I arrowed a deer and it ran off. I waited an hour and then tracked it for six hours through very thick thorns and vines. There was a long, long blood trail but I took my time and tried to do it right. I had never hit a deer before and didn't know for sure if I was going about it the right way. This was a Saturday. On Sunday I looked and looked more, but couldn't find it. I thought it might have survived. The following Saturday I returned and found it, extremely rotten and half eaten by birds. The arrow was still sticking in it and it looked like the arrow had hit the liver but not the heart or lungs. I was not pleased myself but also decided this was probably as bad as it could get. It was about 80 degrees and it smelled horrible.

I called it in, took a picture of it, but didn't tag it or move it. It would have fallen apart if I had tried to move it and I didn't see any reason to tag it since I wasn't going to take it anywhere. I added it to my harvest card since I killed it though, and retrieved the arrow. That arrow is still in my quiver of four arrows. It's the fourth string as I'd use the arrows hunting, but it's mostly a reminder of that deer and to always make the best shot I can.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    Don't know what you're talking about henn5849. I'm in full agreement with you. You are quoting my response to rickyp unless I just entered the Twylight Zone????? As to the fine, I know all about it, though not through personal experience.

I hate quoting people. I always mess it up. Sorry.

swimtb

Jul 17, 2013
    crofton area
    A little late to the rodeo here, but I have to agree with If you kill it(and find it) you need to report it or you are a poacher. As for using up a antler tag ain't gonna happen was really disappointing to hear. Honor as a way of life!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A little late to the rodeo here, but I have to agree with If you kill it(and find it) you need to report it or you are a poacher. As for using up a antler tag ain't gonna happen was really disappointing to hear. Honor as a way of life!

The next time you drive over the speed limit, please make sure to write yourself a ticket for your infraction.

Don't forget to calculate how much over the speed limit you were going prior to mailing your payment to the MVA.

You need to report it or you are a menace.

Honor as a way of life. In all things. At all times.

That's what I thought...

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Tag the deer --- move it --- then don't report the deer to the DNR --- unless you possess and keep any body part of the deer. Backstraps might still be good. Harvesting a Maryland black bear might be a different story...since the Maryland DNR sends you a printed questionnaire after your hunt.

"Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms."

Josey Wales

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The word is ethics.

It's been tought in current hunter education class. I guess some fell asleep during that lesson.. Lol

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Crap, I didn't know you had to fill the harvest report in the field at kill sight. I thought you just needed the field tag, then you do the report when you get the conf#. Hard enough to do the field tag in the dark with frozen hands... ( I partly fill them out prior, just adding the date to it at the kill sight)

And yes I worry about the tag falling off during the drag and load up. DNR needs a sticker tag like some states have, it sticks around the antler base or a leg and is a tough material. Or a nose tag like Quebec bear LOL

All these game regs, and even the DNR police don't know 3/4 of them. How are we to know them all? geeze

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Crap, I didn't know you had to fill the harvest report in the field at kill sight. I thought you just needed the field tag, then you do the report when you get the conf#. Hard enough to do the field tag in the dark with frozen hands... ( I partly fill them out prior, just adding the date to it at the kill sight)

And yes I worry about the tag falling off during the drag and load up. DNR needs a sticker tag like some states have, it sticks around the antler base or a leg and is a tough material. Or a nose tag like Quebec bear LOL

All these game regs, and even the DNR police don't know 3/4 of them. How are we to know them all? geeze

Md used to make tags out of Tyvec but, everyone complained they couldn't write on them in cold weather(Sharpies worked) so they stopped making them. I finish filling my tag out at sight of the recovery. If it's a buck, I zip-tie it to the antlers. If it's a doe, I carry it in my pocket til I get it back to my wheeler or truck, then zip-tie it through the hock. I don't use the ear because they tend to tear off easily and most butchers prefer them tied to the hock so the tag stays on after they skin it.

swimtb

Jul 17, 2013
    crofton area
    The next time you drive over the speed limit, please make sure to write yourself a ticket for your infraction.

Don't forget to calculate how much over the speed limit you were going prior to mailing your payment to the MVA.

You need to report it or you are a menace.

Honor as a way of life. In all things. At all times.

That's what I thought...

What exactly did you think? I was going to comment about your dishonesty on not reporting deer that you are not going to eat or you misguided theory on why animals need to be tagged and reported, but I'll pass. Hopefully you read from others the legal reasons why. The unlimited does comment was a big miss on your part and ain't gonna happen on antlered deer was just equally disappointing from someone who types "Honor as a way of life, in all things and at all times".
    I don't want to get into a pissing contest with a member of the worlds police so my final comment will be....Hang up and drive.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    In South Carolina, on opening day, in the middle of August, at a commercial hunting place, it's just not possible to recover and process all the deer they shoot the first afternoon. Even though they use dogs, soon it's 2 am and they shot at 20 some deer and still have a handful to look for.

A friend of mine who was a regular down there, when told by the owner that they would have to look for his deer in the morning, said, I guess that deer will be going to the gut pile. The owner said you will either take it home and eat it or eat it here for supper next year. They found it the next morning, he had it butchered and said it was one of the best deer he had ever eaten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom