• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    Curious if anyone has any official word on how transfers will be handled after oct. 1 on purchases before oct. 1. I purchased a handgun but likely wont be transferred before oct. 1. Will I have to go through the new procedure Fingerprinting,etc? Hopefully pre 10/1 purchases will be grandfathered in otherwise there may be a reason the MSP is taking so long.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    It all depends on who you ask. I've been told that if you pay for and do the paperwork before Oct 1st your ok. You just need proof that you did it before hand. So keep you receipts. But who knows, I could be wrong.

the Uub

Jun 11, 2013
    I've also been told the same thing by a guy at the Tackle Box who was trying to sell me an AR. From what he said, as long as the paperwork was submitted and the transaction was completed before the deadline, it would go through fine. Another saleslady at the same store told me that this does not apply to special order purchases if the gun is not in the store, because they need to have the gun there and get the casing from it to comply with laws. So, the gist that I got was that if the gun was on-hand, and they could submit the paperwork ahead of time, then yes, the paperwork would still proceed on the "before" schedule, and if the firearm is not in stock, and they won't get it until after Oct 1st, then the paperwork will proceed on the "after" schedule. Take it for what it's worth, two different sales people from the same store who should know the law. That still leaves a lot of gray area in my mind, but I plan to buy and have all of my transactions totally complete before the deadline so that I will not get 'boned'

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's being discussed in several other long threads , but for the quick gist :

Soon to be banned rifles are treated differently. This is where the explicit Purchase Order language is in the law. Wether the specif rifle in question must be in state before 10/1 , or still being mfg. And not yet delivered is still not nailed down.

As to handguns ordered/ paid for prior to 10/1 , at this point everyone is speculating. The procedures ( and presumably Regulations ) will be desiminated to dealers in September. In the case of real Regulations , they must be published for public comment 30 days in advance , impling publish for comment on either 7/1 , or 8/1 . Prior to that everything is WAGs .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Exactly. NO one KNOWS how handguns will be handled.

The regulations have not been written, and the MSP has not started interpreting those regulations.

So your guess is as good as any.

MSP may allow previously purchased to be delivered, or they may not. There may be a lawsuit if they require a HQL and they are not set up to issue them.

Better deal, only deal with FFLs who are transferring in a timely manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom