• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There is a guy I know at work who has a form 1 which is pending approval, and is being told by a "range master" that he has to have an HBAR barrel for his form 1 rifle. I am trying to explain the difference between a copy cat banned rifle and what Maryland considers a short barreled rifle.

My explanation is; "in Maryland, an SBR is not considered a rifle and does not fall under the banned copy cat laws but does fall under the evil feature and overall length restrictions."

Is that fair? Is there a better way to explain it?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    There is a guy I know at work who has a form 1 which is pending approval, and is being told by a "range master" that he has to have an HBAR barrel for his form 1 rifle. I am trying to explain the difference between a copy cat banned rifle and what Maryland considers a short barreled rifle.

My explanation is; "in Maryland, an SBR is not considered a rifle and does not fall under the banned copy cat laws but does fall under the evil feature and overall length restrictions."

Is that fair? Is there a better way to explain it?
    Yes that’s why you can buy an AK pistol, then file a form 1 for 29” OAL and build an AK SBR. But you can’t buy an AK in 7.62x39 with a 16” barrel as a rifle.

Rimfire is exempt for the 29” OAL. Oh and you can also own it as a transferable Machine gun too. The laws make a lot of sense…

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Its confusing to me too because I am just now getting into SBRs.

If I get a 11.5 inch upper from BCM, go buy a stripped lower from LGS, put everything together, can I then use the Form 1 amnesty for braced pistols for a free stamp? Or does it have to be purchased with a brace, which is now not legal in MD?

I'd just buy a factory SBR and fill out the form 1 at time of purchase, but I'm impatient. :lol:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    All centerline semiautomatic SBRs must be over 29" in length. Measure with butt stock fully extended to the permanent muzzle end.
    All other SBRs, single shot or bolt action center fire as well as rim fire do not have the 29 inch restriction.
    .223/5.56 do not have to have heavy barrels no matter the action type.
    Telescopic stocks are not folding stocks nor are LAW type folders.
    Cannot have two of the three evil features; folding stock, flash hider(muzzle brakes are gtg), and or grenade/flare launcher.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Any discussion on Maryland or Federal firearms laws needs to start with:
    "First, you can't expect this to make sense....."

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Its confusing to me too because I am just now getting into SBRs.

If I get a 11.5 inch upper from BCM, go buy a stripped lower from LGS, put everything together, can I then use the Form 1 amnesty for braced pistols for a free stamp? Or does it have to be purchased with a brace, which is now not legal in MD?

I'd just buy a factory SBR and fill out the form 1 at time of purchase, but I'm impatient. :lol:
    If you buy a factory SBR it’s a form 4. If you want to build an SBR you need to submit a form 1 , pay the $200 and wait for approval to assemble it. If you owned a braced pistol before 1/31/23 you can do a free form 1 if you want to SBR it or you must remove the brace/stock.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This disconnect when I try to explain it is; why a non-SBR is a clone and has to follow the copy cat laws, and an SBR is not, and does does not.
    I have had the "copy cat" rules explained to me a hundred times and they still makes no sense to me. They seem arbitrary and capricious. As long as you follow the basic rules I laid out, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom