• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    MDS Brain Trust,

As the title states, I have a few inexpensive Damascus blades that have surface rust on them, how do you clean it off, and how do you keep it from coming back? I know to keep the blade oiled, but what kind of oil works best.

Also, can you re-profile a blade without having to heat treat it again? I am looking to take a straight edged skinning profile and put a slight upward curve to the straight edge.

Thanks,

Q

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    MDS Brain Trust,

As the title states, I have a few inexpensive Damascus blades that have surface rust on them, how do you clean it off, and how do you keep it from coming back? I know to keep the blade oiled, but what kind of oil works best.

Also, can you re-profile a blade without having to heat treat it again? I am looking to take a straight edged skinning profile and put a slight upward curve to the straight edge.

Thanks,

Q
    I use food grade mineral oil. I have some Damascus kitchen knives. Works fine on the couple of Damascus “working” blades I have.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    light oil & scrub with an old toothbrush. Removes rust even down in etched sections.
    Mineral oil or 3 in one electric motor oil.
    Do NOT keep it in a leather sheath.
    I wrap mine in a piece of old t-shirt that's lightly oiled.
    The "White Hunter is Damascus, the Khukhri just regular non stainless spring steel.

Attachments

• Damascus - Copy.JPG
      Damascus - Copy.JPG
      282.5 KB · Views: 88
    • DSCF0379 - Copy.JPG
      DSCF0379 - Copy.JPG
      307.5 KB · Views: 94
    Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    light oil & scrub with an old toothbrush. Removes rust even down in etched setions.
    Mineral oil or 3 in one electric motor oil.
    Do NOT keep it in a leather sheath.
    I wrap mine in a piece of old t-shirt that's lightly oiled.
    The "White Hunter is Damascus, the Khukhri just regular non stainless spring steel.
    Nice looking blades

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    MDS Brain Trust,

Thanks,

Q

For keeping rust off, I recommend this oil. For getting the rust off, depends on how deep it is. If it really is just surface rust, you might be able to get it off using a toothbrush. If you need more, gradually increase the scrubbing power until the rust comes off.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    would soaking blade in EvapoRust do any good? I use it for old car parts and it works well. it will strip blueing from gun parts tho, don't ask me how i know

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    would soaking blade in EvapoRust do any good? I use it for old car parts and it works well. it will strip blueing from gun parts tho, don't ask me how i know
    If the pattern is etched or stained it will strip that too.
    Also the "silver" finished parts will be dulled back to grey, as the tell you, because of the chelating process bringing carbon to the surface.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Damascus patterns are usually acid etched, and you have to be careful with caustic cleaners or chemicals, general rule, if it isn't oil, don't use it. Usually a brush and oil will clean minor rust, very fine steel wool and oil will clean deeper pitting, but risks damaging the pattern if not cleaned carefully. If it's a good knife the manufacturer might be willing to re-polish and etch it if there is too much rust to clean out.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    These work well for scrubbing rust or patina. They are pretty gentle with just water and seem to leave the underlying surface polish unmarred. Abrasives can leave J-hook scratch patterns or swirls. You can re-etch in strong instant coffee solution. Do short etches followed by gentle polish to remove the topmost patina until the pattern is stable and smooth.

Amazon product ASIN B00FS0BFJC

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks, Folks. I used 0000 Steel wool and Japanese mineral oil. It came off without too much difficulty. Oiled it up they are put away.

What is the interval for checking oiling status?

Q

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I wrap my blades in an oily rag & then put it in an open Ziplock to keep the mess in. I check semi annually or if the rag has dried out.
    My oil is "3 in one electric motor oil", in the blue & white container..

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Thanks, Folks. I used 0000 Steel wool and Japanese mineral oil. It came off without too much difficulty. Oiled it up they are put away.

What is the interval for checking oiling status?

Q

I am revisiting this thread. I have been reading and found a thread on another forum that did a test over summer to see which things protected metal the best. They concluded that Frog Lube Paste and Bert's Bees Lip Balm worked great compared to most oils. Now his test was extremely harsh (outdoors, lots of rain and humidity). He is redoing the test again this summer and is using:

1 Frog lube
    2 Burts bees lip balm
    3 my homemade beeswax mix
    4 mineral oil
    5 bare steel
    6 3-1oil
    7 Break free
    8 Casey sheath
    9 petroleum jelly
    10 Kroil

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts