• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Can't seem to log in to access my forms that I've already filled out previously. Keeps giving me this message on log in.
    Maybe they are doing site maintenance to remove the G&S questions.

:indiffere

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    I'm still super confused. Since the permit process was deemed unconstitutional, are we in a period where constitutional carry is legal until MSP fixes the process?

The permitting process was not ruled unconstitutional. The good and substantial reason portion of the law was ruled unconstitutional. The court said permits are fine.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    I'm signed up for a class in August. I know I need fingerprints and a passport photo, but I'm confused about the passport photo part. We submit this online, right? Don't I just upload a picture of my face?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm signed up for a class in August. I know I need fingerprints and a passport photo, but I'm confused about the passport photo part. We submit this online, right? Don't I just upload a picture of my face?
    Yes, you can Please The Crown just using your phone to create a properly formatted digital image file.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    . Does Maryland recognize that the NRA pistol instructor certification (see sig line below) qualifies as satisfying their requirements to waive training?
    Yes. Follow the prompts and you can apply (no fee) to become a Qualified Handgun Instructor and you'll be qualified to teach the 16 hr class. The QHIC comes rather quickly by email.

Then hang up a shingle, start running courses at your convenience.

widderic

Straight Shooter
    Oct 19, 2020
    Baltimore City
    Glad I’m not the only one, as mentioned above probably down for maintenance.
    Thanks for letting me know it wasn't just me. I had the entire form completed years ago... just been waiting for a day like today and then BAM either site maintenance or high activity. Everyone is currently signing up for Wear and Carry Classes, a lot booked until late August.

I'm in Owings Mills, I got my HQL a few years back at Free State in WhiteMarsh/Essex. They're charging 625 for Wear and Carry class, that seems high to me.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Thanks for letting me know it wasn't just me. I had the entire form completed years ago... just been waiting for a day like today and then BAM either site maintenance or high activity. Everyone is currently signing up for Wear and Carry Classes, a lot booked until late August.

I'm in Owings Mills, I got my HQL a few years back at Free State in WhiteMarsh/Essex. They're charging 625 for Wear and Carry class, that seems high to me.
    Shop around - many instructors run classes at Guntry, off Red Run in Owings Mills.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Actually, it IS still relevant.

Sgt Pickle said during the Zoom meeting that applications filed with formerly acceptable "good & substantial" reasons are being processed NOW. Applications citing the USSC decision are being held pending direction from the AG.

This means 'GiveMeABreak' would get processed while the rest of us languish. That seems quite relevant to me.
    No Pickle was sour.

Hogan suspended GS. they are processing them all.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Not to besmirch anyone running the training (and the laws of supply and demand), but yeah, that's about 2x the normal going rate and some instructors are $150-250. I could see $625 if it is one-on-one instruction, but that works out to $39 an hour. Even if you factor in some cost for facilities use, targets, gun rental and ammo (assuming it isn't BYOG/BYOA) that's still probably $30 an hour. Maybe its a bad assumption, but I am assuming it isn't just 2-3 students in a class. So, if you figure maybe 12-20 students to one instructor, that is raking in the money.

Not that I recommend waiting, but I have to figure if MD doesn't find some way to make W&C impossible to get and maintain (probably not, SCOTUS just said IT'S A RIGHT!) supply will go up and things will normalize a lot more in terms of cost and availability and the places charging $$$ won't be able to. If nothing else, instructors can be a lot more confident if they run a class, they can fill it up, rather than worrying if they'll get half a dozen students. So it makes it easier for them to charge a lower rate also since they know they'll have more paying butts in seats.

Last edited:

karleb

Jan 2, 2013
    Frederick
    Been getting the same thing since last night.
    Same here. I got through to the licensing division this morning on the phone and was told that the entire system is down and they have no idea when it will be fixed. Sounds about right to me... portal will probably be down until the GA can pass more infringements.

Big John

Mar 26, 2013
    Not to besmirch anyone running the training (and the laws of supply and demand), but yeah, that's about 2x the normal going rate and some instructors are $150-250. I could see $625 if it is one-on-one instruction, but that works out to $39 an hour. Even if you factor in some cost for facilities use, targets, gun rental and ammo (assuming it isn't BYOG/BYOA) that's still probably $30 an hour. Maybe its a bad assumption, but I am assuming it isn't just 2-3 students in a class. So, if you figure maybe 12-20 students to one instructor, that is raking in the money.

Not that I recommend waiting, but I have to figure if MD doesn't find some way to make W&C impossible to get and maintain (probably not, SCOTUS just said IT'S A RIGHT!) supply will go up and things will normalize a lot more in terms of cost and availability and the places charging $$$ won't be able to. If nothing else, instructors can be a lot more confident if they run a class, they can fill it up, rather than worrying if they'll get half a dozen students. So it makes it easier for them to charge a lower rate also since they know they'll have more paying butts in seats.

I just got a post on Facebook from Heritage Training & Shooting Center (out of Frederick) advertising $800 for the 16-hours of training (and prerequisite holster training). That plus the fingerprinting costs and whatever the MSP application fee is would come to around $2000 for me and my wife to apply for W&C permits. That is ridiculous.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I just got a post on Facebook from Heritage Training & Shooting Center (out of Frederick) advertising $800 for the 16-hours of training...
    This is MUCH higher than the norm, like 2x to 3x higher.
    (and prerequisite holster training).
    Holster training?
    That plus the fingerprinting costs and whatever the MSP application fee is would come to around $2000 for me and my wife to apply for W&C permits. That is ridiculous.
    Yes, it is ridiculous.
    MSP charges $75 for the application.
    I paid $53 for prints.
    Made my own photo.

dinizjr_usmc

Aug 6, 2011
    Incorrect. Criminal Procedure 10-109(a)(2) and (3) clearly answers this. You do not have to disclose expunged matters and the state can’t use your refusal to disclose expunged records as a reason to deny your application. https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-procedure/title-10/subtitle-1/10-109/

I’ve expunged cases for people both inside and outside of Maryland and have restored 2A rights. You do not need to disclose expunged matters.
    I recently got charged with possession of marijuana for "an amount less than 10grams" after a tragic stop. 30 dollar ticket, paid. Will this affect my carry ability? I am a marine veteran and was not a criminal offence.

dinizjr_usmc

Aug 6, 2011
    This is MUCH higher than the norm, like 2x to 3x higher.

Holster training?

Yes, it is ridiculous.
    MSP charges $75 for the application.
    I paid $53 for prints.
    Made my own photo.
    Did you just take a bland picture and crop it for your photo?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Did you just take a bland picture and crop it for your photo?
    Yup, bland, that's me... My office manager took a pic of me in a collared shirt, standing in front of a white wall. I cropped it to show head & shoulders, then resized it to 600 pixels tall using IrfanView. When I uploaded it to the MSP site, I used their software to slightly crop it for best fit to their template.

EZ Peazy.

$625? I just paid $335(with fingerprints) for the wear and carry permit class at Freestate this weekend. Signed up right when Supreme Court released the ruling, maybe they upped the price since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom