• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Can someone answer this for me? I have everything completed everything and am ready to submit but I am at a loss on how to answer a couple of important questions on the application. There's 3
    Have you ever been arrested
    Have you been convicted of a crime
    Have you been charged with a crime, I could be wrong on this one. The reason I am stuck is I got a DWI back in the early 80's and I was arrested and spent the night at MSP jail. So answer yes to that one I suppose. the next two I don't remember/know the answers to. I got Probation before judgment according to my attorney and paid a fine, that's what they did back then I guess. How should I check the other two boxes?

PBJ is not a conviction. I would check "yes" to arrested and charged, as they are truthful responses. You will almost definitely be contacted by a trooper once your application goes into review to get more information. Answer the questions honestly and to the best of your knowledge. Assuming what your attorney told you is accurate, you should be good to go.

If you have, or can otherwise secure, documents spelling out your PBJ/lack of conviction, I would attach them to the initial application ahead of the phone call from the trooper.

treasurehunter

Jul 22, 2018
    PBJ is not a conviction. I would check "yes" to arrested and charged, as they are truthful responses. You will almost definitely be contacted by a trooper once your application goes into review to get more information. Answer the questions honestly and to the best of your knowledge. Assuming what your attorney told you is accurate, you should be good to go.

If you have, or can otherwise secure, documents spelling out your PBJ/lack of conviction, I would attach them to the initial application ahead of the phone call from the trooper.
    Thank You, sounds good. Is there any way I can get this information from the state police directly? Now I'm curious.

treasurehunter

Jul 22, 2018
    I found this info
    Is PBJ considered a conviction in Maryland?

No, a PBJ is not a conviction in Maryland. If a defendant receives a PBJ then the guilty finding has been stricken and the defendant has not been found guilty. Therefore, a PBJ is not a conviction in Maryland.

DOES PROBATION BEFORE JUDGMENT SHOW ON A BACKGROUND CHECK?​

No. Since your PBJ does not count legally as a conviction you will not have a criminal record. Though you still must complete the terms required by the court to keep it clean. Since it is not a conviction, you also do not need to share your PBJ with a potential employer.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Hi everyone, I have 2 questions.

1. I live in Michigan. Will the MSP accept fingerprint cards for out of state residents since they don’t have any livescan contractors outside of MD?

2. I’m an NRA certified instructor, do I need to become a qualified handgun instructor to be exempt from training?

Thanks everyone.
    1- no. They only accept livescan fingerprints provided by a Maryland vendor.

2- yes, you must apply for your QHIC to be recognized as training exempt.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I am probably over thinking this.
    I have worked at the same health care facility for 29 years. However being in management that has been contracted out 3 times 3 different contractors in 12 years.
    Would I list my employer as contract company I presently work for or the location I have been working at for the last 17 years or so ?
    Questing present contract employer but thought I would ask.
    Thanks

bunnybunny

Mar 3, 2016
    Any suggestions for classes in baltimore area? I'm willing to drive a hour or so. Many places are filled up and I'm not sure where to look.

Preach

Feb 10, 2013
    Germantown
    Shouldn't Convicted be the only thing that matters? Does it matter that you were arrested, charged or issued a summons? If you have not been Convicted of a disqualifying crime what's the point of all the other questions? Just don't get it...oh wait this is Maryland.

bunnybunny

Mar 3, 2016
    Email Jen at vanguardjln@gmail.com. Day 1 class near Carney. Day 2 at Elk Neck State Forest range. $150

Thanks, I found one for the beginning of september and already paid, but it's outside baltimore.

Could someone clarify the fingerprinting rules/order? I take my class in Sept 3/4, THEN I go get fingerprinted, or can I do it before? MSP says fingerprints are good for 72 hours, but I don't know if that applies to WAC permit as well, just the HQL?

edit: Oops, see the posts above. I guess I'll just wait until after the class.

Last edited:

bjmsam

The Skeptic
    According to the MSP Handgun Wear and Carry Permit page:

The initial Handgun Permit expires on the last day of the holder’s birth month following two (2) years after the date the permit is issued.

For someone with a birthday in July, would a permit issued in July 2022 expire in July 2024 vs. a permit issued in August 2022 expire in July 2025?

My sister is born in Feb and got her permit in March, it expired in 23 months where it should have been 35 months.

Approved: 8/16
    Expiration date is July 31, 2025 because I have a July birthday. So I got an extra 11 months.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    You are an active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard.

Being an honorably discharged National Guard members (not collecting retirement or pension) it appears I am training exempt and only need new fingerprints, photo and pay the app fee, yes?

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    I guess I'll have to bring my truck load of bowling balls (got over 400# between mine and my wife's. Great psyop showing up to league night looking like a scratch bowler) up on a weekday so I can get a fingerprint scan done before the final move up. The tech will have fun trying to get a clean scan of my right thumb. It is dry and cracked from an eczema flare up. Scanners don't like that.

cwalker3

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    I was looking at the Wear and Carry application, in regards to references it states you need 3 unrelated references that have known you for 2+ years. What is the definition of relation? Is a Son In Law related? Also, can a reference be an adult over the age of 18 or do they have to be 21? Do they have to be Maryland resident? If this was in application I did not see it. Most of my long time friends/acquaintances are in nearby states.
    Has anyone found out anything more about the definition of unrelated family?

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    Has anyone found out anything more about the definition of unrelated family?
    I certainly hope it doesn't have to be a Maryland resident that has known me for 2+ years. I seriously doubt that a colleague I've had work related meetings over Skype counts as "known."
    References shouldn't even be required. It's not like the actually call them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    They know if they do they’ll get called on it. References can be from any state. Only one of mine lives in MD

I was approved 7-20

If not a blood relative I’d say you’re ok

Ianal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads