• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    I received my call from the investigator today for my interview. I am a little over 30 days in after submitting my application.

I need to provide more banking information and my references will be contacted soon

It looks like MSP is still moving forward with G&S required, as they have not received any updated guidance.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I got this today in an email blast from 2A Maryland:
    2A Maryland Zoom Meeting with MSP Licensing Division​

We are pleased to announce that First Sergeant Donald R. Pickle, Jr., Commander of the Firearms Services Section of the MSP Licensing Division will join us to discuss the SCOTUS ruling and its impact on Maryland.
    Thursday, June 30th @ 7:00 pm​
    Topic: 2A Maryland Zoom with MSP Licensing Division
    Time: Jun 30, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82068751140?pwd=eFNKdWxuSC82eWl6ZTRKUkxzYUIrQT09

Meeting ID: 820 6875 1140
    Passcode: 098181
    One tap mobile
    +13017158592,,82068751140#,,,,*098181# US (Washington DC)
    +13126266799,,82068751140#,,,,*098181# US (Chicago

Please RSVP using the poll below. We will send a reminder and any needed meeting updates to those who plan to attend.​

Oct 14, 2019
    Please read: This thread is intended as a living document so that we can collect any and all information surrounding the application process and keep up with any changes that may occur along the way. The first set of replies will be reserved for future use, so when this Title pops up as a thread. Allow us time to get some information in order.

Thank you for you patience.

As of now PLEASE Post a reply with any information you may have about the permit application process.*

*PLEASE refrain from posting any information you are not sure of.
    Just because your cousin Zeke told you his neighbor said it, does not necessarily make it true.

Verified information will be updated on an ongoing basis. Be patient.

Topics of interest:
    Finger printing / Live SCAN / CJIS
    Photos
    How to fill in pages and lines on the Application Form
    Link to the Application Form
    Updates and Changes to the Process as things unfold

NOTE 3-7-2012: as of this time, if you can afford it, MSI suggests submitting an application. DO NOT use your rent money or try this if you are having trouble paying your bills. Your money may be "held" for a while, worst case scenario, you could lose the amount and not get a permit..worst case.
    *If you do no apply immediately, but have some spare change, consider donating to MSI so we can push this issue over the top of the mountain and care for the politics, public education and any other necessities that may arise.
    Donate here: http://marylandshallissue.org/joindonate-now/
    Would be nice if MD extended some reciprocity to those of us that had to go the UT non-resident CCW permit route just to have SOMEthing for when we travel. Wonder how long before MD follows NY?

art42

Jan 13, 2021
    Does anyone know an exact definition for what Maryland means by “closest domestic relationship such as current spouse, significant other, or cohabitant”? Specifically the cohabitant part. I have no recent romantic relationships to list but I am not sure if I am supposed to put my family members that I currently live with? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Took my LiveScan on Monday at 12 noon, came home filled out the MSP Handgun permit online. Submitted my DD214 and 2x2 passport picture electronically with my reason as Self Defense in the manner prescribed in the SCOTUS Bruen case. The site allowed me to submit without the required documentation of threats. Received an email from MSP that my submission has been received and I will be contacted.

Because I suspect the MD tyrants will play shenanigans I'm preparing now to secure an attorney and sue and anything else the attorney can come up with. If there are any attorneys out there in the Frederick area taking on this very important matter, please advise.

I'm in it for the long haul.

Last edited:

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Just notified app accepted. Applied exactly a week ago

App number 0117**

Took my LiveScan on Monday at 12 noon, came home filled out the MSP Handgun permit online. Submitted my DD214 and 2x2 passport picture electronically with my reason as Self Defense in the manner prescribed in the SCOTUS Buell case. The site allowed me to submit without the required documentation of threats. Received an email from MSP that my submission has been received and I will be contacted.

Because I suspect the MD tyrants will play shenanigans I'm preparing now to secure an attorney and sue and anything else the attorney can come up with. If there are any attorneys out there in the Frederick area taking on this very important matter, please advise.

I'm in it for the long haul.
    swinokur applied in the same way you did, and his was accepted.

I think (hope) you will be good. :thumbsup:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Would be nice if MD extended some reciprocity to those of us that had to go the UT non-resident CCW permit route just to have SOMEthing for when we travel. Wonder how long before MD follows NY?
    That depends exactly on who we wind up with as AG and (in practice, nearly ornamental) Governor. Those are who decides to extend reciprocity to other states. And I sincerely doubt Lame Duck Fat Larry and The Baron will expend a single calorie to do that between now and the Inauguration.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Before I decide whether to spend the time and $$$ to submit, I'm going to listen to this:

Topic: 2A Maryland Zoom with MSP Licensing Division
    Time: Jun 30, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time

Join Zoom Meeting:
    https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82068751140?pwd=eFNKdWxuSC82eWl6ZTRKUkxzYUIrQT09

Meeting ID: 820 6875 1140
    Passcode: 098181
    One tap mobile
    +13017158592,,82068751140#,,,,*098181# US (Washington DC)

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    ROUGH UPDATE/Salient point notes:

Bruen effects/changes:
    MSPLD has no guidance from Frosh yet. Will broadcast it as soon as they get it. Check the MSPLD web page for official changes.
    For anyone with an application in process, there is nothing else to do. Applications without G&S will be held pending AG guidance.
    There is currently a "Personal Protection" category on the application, use that and "fill out the application as complete as possible. Don't leave anything blank."
    Retired or Honorably Discharged Military are still exempt from training.
    They only anticipate removing G&S as a requirement. All other requirements will probably remain.
    They punted on reciprocity, and there currently will be NO Constitutional Carry.
    Still no legal requirement to show W&C Permit if stopped, but it is recommended.
    Changes to the existing law have to wait for the MGA.
    Open Carry: ONLY with a W&C Permit, and use common sense, considering the current environment.
    HQL: Once you get a W&C Permit, go to the MSP web site and request a "Permit Exempt HQL". Specific instructions remain unclear.
    Training: ONLY the MD W&C Training can be used for the permit.
    Separate fingerprints are required for a W&C permit if you have an HQL, but not the other way around. Fingerprints are valid for 30 days until submitted. Once submitted, they will be retained "...for about a year".
    Lifting current W&C permit restrictions is being looked at, and will be addressed in the guidance.
    Resubmission of denied applications is also being looked at, and should be addressed in the guidance.
    MSP is looking at "streamlining the application process."

Ghost guns: MD will recognize Federal S/Ns and MD PINs. The Feds will not recognize the MD PINs after 1 Aug. After 24 Aug, an FFL must use the Federal S/N. If there is a MD PIN, it must be registered; those with a Federal S/N need not be registered, but that is encouraged.

Last edited:

HUMONGO

Jan 23, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I was pulled over for speeding by a MSP Trooper. Gave my W&C permit with my license and he was flummoxed. Younger guy, said it was the first one he saw. Gave me a warning for 43 in a 25.

ETA- Got mine as a legislator

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Until the General Assembly changes the law, that’s not happening.

Only instructors who are certified by MSP may submit the required MSP Form 29-14.

Or you may seek one of the other exemptions- military service, graduate from an MPTC academy, or become a federal law enforcement officer, or a LEO from another state, or become a qualified instructor yourself.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Does anyone know an exact definition for what Maryland means by “closest domestic relationship such as current spouse, significant other, or cohabitant”? Specifically the cohabitant part. I have no recent romantic relationships to list but I am not sure if I am supposed to put my family members that I currently live with? Thanks

IMHO, Siblings, parents, children and other relatives are not included. Their term isn’t defined in the statute.

Unless of course someone is- what’s the word? “Intimate” partner- this is Pride Month.

IMHO, they may also mean a roommate who is not biologically related to you but is on the lease as a cohabitatant.

You may contact licensing division directly for more clarification.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    IMHO, Siblings, parents, children and other relatives are not included. Their term isn’t defined in the statute.

Unless of course someone is- what’s the word? “Intimate” partner- this is Pride Month.

IMHO, they may also mean a roommate who is not biologically related to you but is on the lease as a cohabitatant.

You may contact licensing division directly for more clarification.
    Concur, FWIW.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Run this by me again...the 16 hours has to be recent? And 8 for renewals?
    The 16 hours of training must have been conducted by a Maryland State Police Certified Handgun instructor and must have provided you with MSP form 29-14, and it must have been issued less than 2 years before you submit the application.

Out of state classes do not count, unless conducted by a law enforcement agency, the military, or a MSP QHIC instructor

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom