• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Hi all,

I reloaded my first bullets ever yesterday. I used once-fired .22-250 Winchester brass that were fired in my .22-250. I'm using Nosler Varmagedon .22 caliber 55 grain bullets with a Lee Classic Loader kit. The finished bullets are 2.365" and the max OAL for .22-250 is listed as 2.350" on both the Lee Loader documentation and my Lyman Reloading manual.

Is there a way to adjust the length of the bullet seating rod so I can seat the bullets a little deeper?

I'm also thinking it may be the OAL of the empty brass. I checked the length of the cases before I started and they were within spec, but when I use the resizing die does this increase the length of the case? Should I trim the case before starting or after resizing?

Thanks!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I know nothing about the Lee loader, but you should measure and trim (if needed) after resizing as the brass will grow with full length sizing.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Its been years since I have seen one but I thought the die body was threaded and adjustable ?

There is a lock ring under the stop collar and when you loosen the lock ring you can adjust the stop collar in or out for what you need.

Morgan321

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 6, 2013
    SOMD
    The lee loader neck sizes only. It won't change case length significantly. I've reloaded some brass many times with a lee loader without ever checking brass length after the first time. 22-250 headspaces from the shoulder so case length isn't critical as long as it fits in the gun.

FWIW, I get the same accuracy using a lee loader as I do with a press. Get some case lube and the sizing will be lots easier. If you ever get brass that wasn't shot in your gun size it and check that it fits your gun before loading it so you don't waste supplies. Wash brass with vinegar and dish soap.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    The lee loader neck sizes only. It won't change case length significantly. I've reloaded some brass many times with a lee loader without ever checking brass length after the first time. 22-250 headspaces from the shoulder so case length isn't critical as long as it fits in the gun.

FWIW, I get the same accuracy using a lee loader as I do with a press. Get some case lube and the sizing will be lots easier. If you ever get brass that wasn't shot in your gun size it and check that it fits your gun before loading it so you don't waste supplies. Wash brass with vinegar and dish soap.

I would caution against loading bottleneck rifle cases without checking the OAL, AFTER sizing. If you are too long the case mouth can enter the rifling, causing pressures upon firing to spike dangerously high. Also, doing this can get the bullet stuck in the barrel if you try to eject the cartridge.

Also, you should only neck-size cases that have been fired in YOUR gun, all gun chambers are not exactly the same. Full length size all new brass and brass that has not yet been fired in your gun yet - you could save your gun.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

Case length/trimming on bottleneck cases, has nothing to do with headspacing, its to avoid a bullet pinch situation at the case mouth if its too long. Bullet pinching can cause the case pressure to spike to dangerous levels, to the point you can get a case rupture.

Buy a cheap, Lee trimmer & pilot, and check your cases lengths as an insurance.

22-250 does like to grow, and you will find various trim to lengths stated in manuals. The pre commercialized 22-250 (called 22 Varminter then) tend to have a shorter throat, and trim to lengths on those will probably be shorter then SAAMI chambers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom