How Soon To Submit W&C Handgun Permit Renewal. 90 Business Days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    I am due to renew by the end of September 2024. I understand that my DD214 still holds me training exempted. I understand that I am not required to resubmit fingerprints (unless they question my identity).

I am expecting a crush of renewal applications. I am expecting "YOUR" General Assembly to attempt to "Fart Around" with the qualification/application/process.

How early is to early? Any thoughts?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Mine expires Oct 16. I am waiting to see what Oct 1 looks like. I have LEOSA also so it's not so crucial for me immediately.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am due to renew by the end of September 2024. I understand that my DD214 still holds me training exempted. I understand that I am not required to resubmit fingerprints (unless they question my identity).

I am expecting a crush of renewal applications. I am expecting "YOUR" General Assembly to attempt to "Fart Around" with the qualification/application/process.

Even if they do change something it would probably take effect Oct 1 and you would have already sent in your renewal application. As Miles says, 90 days prior and you will be fine.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland

When I got my renewal letter I'm pretty sure it told me when the earliest date was that I could submit the on-line renewal. I received the letter well in advance of 90 days. Only took a few days to receive approval on my renewal.

ETA: Yeah-- my above information is incorrect. I corrected it in Post #7. Getting old sucks!

Last edited:

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    When I got my renewal letter I'm pretty sure it told me when the earliest date was that I could submit the on-line renewal. I received the letter well in advance of 90 days. Only took a few days to receive approval on my renewal.
    Thanks! Thats the information I was looking for.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Thanks! Thats the information I was looking for.
    Ok-- So sorry... I got that pretty much ALL WRONG. I just went back and checked my files. Apologies! So here is what really happened:
    MDSP sent me an e-mail reminder that included the latest date I could submit my renewal without threat of lapsing in coverage to carry (which wound up being 14 calendar days from the expiration date). They sent me the renewal reminder e-mail 88 calendar days prior to the expiration date of my permit.

Again- apologies...I hate giving out bad information.

Last edited:

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I tried submitting my renewal VERY early and the website gave me an error that you can only submit a renewal application 120 days before the expiration. So you can’t submit any earlier than 120 days before your HGP expires.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Thanks all, for the info, I'm just trying to understand the renewal process. I did see this:
    e. ensure approval or denial of all renewal applications within 45 days of the receipt of an accepted application.

about mid-way down on the MSP portal here:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    90 days is the rote answer, and backed up by MDSP. That said, one thing lead to another and I didn't submit my last renewal until well inside 30 days. I had the renewal in hand in about two weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom