• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    My problem is my dumbass has stocked up and range/plinking ammo and neglected my hunting stash.

I’m good for a while but I’d like 200-300 rounds of my hunting stuff so i don’t have to worry for a while

You are not a dumbass. I've struggled w/ the same dilemma. The fact of the matter is that for my favorite whitetail hunting rounds, I only use 1-4 rounds per year and usually only 1-2 rounds. That is 6+ years per box. Do your own math, but I only need about 120 rounds of hunting ammo before my hunting expiration date. The other stuff will also work, just not as well as the hunting rounds. YMMV

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Depends on how much you practice. I blow through 150 rds of pistol ammo every time I hit the range. At least 50 of those rounds are self-defense cartridges.

Funny though. I rarely shoot more than 20 or 30 rounds of rifle ammo. Even when I'm just shooting the barn* with a 223/556 I usually keep it under 40 rounds.

* Something I can hit. Usually just the side.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Depends on how much you practice. I blow through 150 rds of pistol ammo every time I hit the range. At least 50 of those rounds are self-defense cartridges.

Funny though. I rarely shoot more than 20 or 30 rounds of rifle ammo. Even when I'm just shooting the barn* with a 223/556 I usually keep it under 40 rounds.

* Something I can hit. Usually just the side.

The broad side is usually easier to hit than the narrow side. For me, being inside the barn makes it more likely

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    You are not a dumbass. I've struggled w/ the same dilemma. The fact of the matter is that for my favorite whitetail hunting rounds, I only use 1-4 rounds per year and usually only 1-2 rounds. That is 6+ years per box. Do your own math, but I only need about 120 rounds of hunting ammo before my hunting expiration date. The other stuff will also work, just not as well as the hunting rounds. YMMV

I've had 2 boxes of 06 hunting ammo that are from the same lot so I use one to confirm zero and the other too hunt with. Well the hunting box has 6 rds to go and will have collected a deer a round fo that box then I'll have to find a replacement set of boxes that shoot as well.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Well this video says most responses posted so far are wrong. If you believe the guy who made it. I think he was just trying to reduce demand so he could stock more for himself. But I will post a link just to reduce the demand so I can replace the ammo I have used for practice and fun which is a lot more than anything he talks about in the video. Remember a gun without ammo makes a poor club.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I guess it really depends on which caliber. I doubt I'll ever shoot all 500 rounds of 25 ACP I own considering my lil Bufalo is made from pot metal. OTOH: My 9mm disappears at an alarming rate. So if I get in a shooting mood 500 rounds won't last a month.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Interesting video.

To summarize his points...

1. "Elite" hunters use at most ten rounds a year. Four to zero. One to kill. Six deer equals ten rounds. So, 100 rounds should easily last ten years. Past that, get a bow.
    2. The most prolific gunfighters use thirty rounds in their lives.
    3. If you match the most elite sniper ever, 300 rounds total.
    4. There is no point in even trying to fight a militia event.
    5. Don't barter. Hell, don't open a gun store either.

So... one hundred hunting rounds for ten years.
    Thirty self defense rounds. For your whole life.
    Three hundred "sniper" rounds if you think you are a badass.

The last thing he said makes sense. Stock as much as you want to. The rest...

If meals get scarce, hunters are gonna take more than just deer. Small ammo for small game. I think "Elite" hunters probably practice as well as zero when not actively hunting. Otherwise, how do you get elite? Maybe I'm wrong.

Gunfighting is not a high survivability occupation. That said, if you gotta do it, you are better off practicing very regularly with lots and lots of repetition to increase your odds. And comparing the "Old West" gunfighters, and their single action sidearms, to todays higher firepower weapons might not be fair.

Sniping is a very specialized skillset that is only likely to come into practice if we go full Mad Max. That said, I've heard it said that those in this occupation, or who like to prepare for this scenario, fire between hundreds and thousands of rounds a week. I don't really know. But I am certain that the "elite" sniper he talked about didn't only shoot in live combat.

I don't think his Afghanistan example of only (IIRC) six dead Americans is exactly apropos. It's more complicated than what he suggests with folks beyond Americans being involved, kills not being the only definer of success, and probably not a one shot, one kill scenario. Let's all pray we never have to test this idea. But if we end up in civil warfare, I can easily see some folks going through hundreds of rounds, while others never get a chance to pull the trigger once.

The "bartering" he talks about being such a bad idea in SHTF is limited as well. There is also the potential to arm allies. Perhaps Elmer Fudd from down the road has a change of heart when the mindless zombies come rushing up from Baltimore. It may behoove you to supplement the ten rounds he has on hand for this year's "elite" hunting.

He never mentions the desire for recreational shooting either. When I shot a lot, I'd sometimes go though a thousand rounds a month. Now-a-days I probably do less than that a year. It's a year to year thing, though. Next year could be a heavy trigger year for me.

I think his premise is messy at best. But it has some benefit for planning. It wouldn't be too expensive to buy his worst case assessment...one hundred rounds for hunting, thirty for self defense, and 300 for sniping. Then I'd say add in a infantry mans basic loadout (7x 30 round mags for an AR style .556) or 210 rounds, because if it's good enough for Uncle Sam it should be good enough for you. THEN add in all the practice you expect to do over the next however long you expect the next ammo shortage to last. Two years? Five years? Ten years? Shoot 1000 rounds of 9mm a year? Expect ammo shortages to last under 5 years? Keep 5000 rounds available. Compute for everything.

And buy more if you find it cheap and have the room to store it. Ammo lasts practically forever if you treat it half way decently. You never know when and if ammo prices will come back down. Political forces are unpredictable. For some calibers, what was once plentiful and cheap are now not. Who here wishes they would have stocked up on Russian 7.62 when they were practically giving it away? I seem to remember SKS rifles being sold for under a hundred bucks. Damn sure wish I had bought a bunch of them, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom