How Far Inside Md Would You Travel For Training?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you travel 60-90 minutes within the state for training?

• Yes!

Votes: 69 74.2%
    • Nah. Too much driving.

Votes: 24 25.8%

• Total voters

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Now that people are getting permits that will alleviate the BGOS regarding transport, how long would one go to train?
    For example,
    Something around 6-8 hours. Consisting of situational awareness, use of force, conceal carry techniques, then hit the range. The range can be basic shooting techniques leading into some light shoot move stuff, multiple targets, and some out of ordinary position shooting, say laying and shooting at a threat as if you were shooting from bed. Something better than just "Here's how you hold a pistol".

People don't have a lot of time for multiple classes dealing with 1 or 2 subjects. I can get something put together that can get the novice familiarized with a lot in a day. Maybe something couples can do together. The ultimate goal is to build a shooter's confidence in a relaxing atmosphere.
    We will have some advanced stuff, but initially we think we can do well with a hybrid type thing, especially after all these crappy W&C classes.
    No NRA or USCCA type outlines. Neither of us have NRA patches. Just our extensive career experience.

So that being said, it seems proper ranges to do this are definitely out of the Balt. area. Somewhere on the Eastern Shore an hour to 90 minutes from Balt. I am thinking.
    I am going to partner up with a former co worker and get the ball rolling if a venue works out. Well, even if it doesn't. We would also be available to travel within the state if someone has a facility. Just spit balling the idea.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm interested depending on location (coming from frederick area) and price.

I suck the worst at pistols, so anything should help me

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Much depends on the curriculum, creds and facility. For a basic HQL class, maybe 30min travel tops. For something specialized, CQB, or advanced tactics, good tactical ranges or shoot houses, then not unusual to drive a day or fly to something like Sig or Gunsite. You have unique creds, might try a basic carry class and an all out advanced class, and see what fills up first. IMO a basic "which end do the bullets come out of" course would be a waste of time.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'd be interested in picking up some good training. Give delmarva sporting clays a call. I've been there as some other trainers were running students through handgunnery on their short ranges. When I go there by myself, I've been able to draw from the holster and do movement on the handgun range.

Are you going to have prerequisites for the more advanced classes? I've shot forever and competed in most shooting things(idpa, 3gun, falling steel, shotgun games,...etc.), but don't have training certificates outside of Utah and md's concealed carry classes.

I know there's a balance between accessibility to higher end classes and safety/making sure inexperienced students don't slow the class down. Didn't know how you were planning on addressing that.

Mr. Anderson

May 22, 2022
    Severna park
    For a basic class I. (Permit Renewal and such) I wouldnt travel more than15min
    But if it’s advanced I’d travel however far I have to as there aren’t many places that offer good advanced training

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Certainly not a noob class. My buddy has been doing those on a one on one basis. He already made a website, and I am waiting to become an IP before we do a soft intro.
    However, most classes, if you have 10 people, you have 10 different ways people shoot. Certainly do some diagnostics.

The space I like right now are those who have shot(even a little) maybe not even owning a holster, to those who say "I've been shooting since I was a kid", because I have seen many who have been shooting terribly since they were kids :)
    I can easily take someone who just picked up a pistol, got them landing center mass shots progressed to the most basic of shooting off the X and contact shot to target. It's all at their pace speed.
    I'll figure it out. Especially with everyone's here input.

We need to get up and running first to get "advanced". And really, what's advanced? To me it's special environment shooting in shoot houses, SIMS scenarios. We will never have the money to get into those things.

I'm going to be with GBRS in Va Beach tomorrow(Monday) and I will pick their brains about some class ideas.
    I'm also still working them to put on something here in Md. Hopefully at DelMarVa. Or even just get DJ up here to do a smaller one as just a guest. Who knows. I just want to try and bring some training excitement to the state now.

But definitely make it a great day worth a drive. I have no clue about cost. I would like to keep it manageable with just us 2 running the thing. I figure, smaller the class, the less hired help, less the cost and better quality. I'd rather do 1 class of 10 for 2 days instead of 1 big class of 20 in one day. I can't see anything over 300 for 6-8 hours. But I haven't done a cost analysis.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Delmarva consented to letting me train there, but they will charge everyone present their standard range fee and could not guarantee privacy or a dedicated area for my group. In other words, "sure, pay your fee and have at it, but we will probably have other regular customers using the range at the same time.".

You might try asking Mayberry. They have a small pistol bay that is independent of their rifle/shotgun areas and may be willing to rent the pistol area to a trainer for a day.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Delmarva consented to letting me train there, but they will charge everyone present their standard range fee and could not guarantee privacy or a dedicated area for my group. In other words, "sure, pay your fee and have at it, but we will probably have other regular customers using the range at the same time.".

You might try asking Mayberry. They have a small pistol bay that is independent of their rifle/shotgun areas and may be willing to rent the pistol area to a trainer for a day.
    I talked to them about having GBRS group holding a class there and they were good to go, using that back range. They just want X amount per student. Which was CHEAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom