How do you SBR a braced pistol under 29"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tpe187

Mar 8, 2019
    I have a B&T APC9 with a brace. There is no easy way to SBR it and be over 29". Is there any discussion going for an exception to register currently braced pistols that would be under 29"?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Having said that, there's probably a market for telescoping HK-style stocks with extra-long rods.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    just remove the brace and keep it a pistol. Unless it in that in between area too short to call it SBR and too long to really call it a pistol.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It'd be like trying to get down off an elephant. How might you get down off an elephant you might ask? You can't. You can only get down off a duck...

tpe187

Mar 8, 2019
    Are there any other states that have the weird rule about OAL for an SBR? If it comes down to it, I'll SBR it at 29" and then get a suppressor pinned. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Are there any other states that have the weird rule about OAL for an SBR? If it comes down to it, I'll SBR it at 29" and then get a suppressor pinned. Not ideal, but it is what it is.
    I don't know of any, off hand. I'm sure there there are one or two with outright bans(guessing). I'm moving out of Md. in the next couple years and I will SBR all my AR9s at that point.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I don't know of any, off hand. I'm sure there there are one or two with outright bans(guessing). I'm moving out of Md. in the next couple years and I will SBR all my AR9s at that point.
    There are a few states that don't allow any SBRs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There are a few states that don't allow any SBRs.
    I looked it up and there are several.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    It gets worse than trying to meet 29". It seems that there is a new discovery about imported braced pistols in the new rule where you may not be able to be in compliance even if you remove the brace. The only options would be destruction or turning over to the ATF. This new rule is just full of infringement.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    May as well just throw a stock on it, you'd be in for the same charges.

The difference is this. In my lifetime, a stocked firearm with a barrel length under 16" has always been an SBR that needed to be registered, so I complied. I thought it was BS BUT that was the way it had been since I came on the scene. A brace is different. It was ruled LEGAL and remained so for around a decade. Now, out of the blue, they are changing the rules to the game AND they are doing it illegally. I am not required to follow an illegal order nor will I. I will continue to go to the range with my firearms as I have always done. If that lands me in a court room, so be it. I will win and I will sue the hell out of the state for the pain and suffering. OR, I might end up dead because I refuse to surrender my LEGALLY owned firearm. It all just depends on my frame of mind that day. Either way, I WILL NOT abide by an illegal edict. I recommend that every Patriot do the same. If everyone stood up and said "NO!", nothing could defeat us. If, instead, we decide to be bootlickers and bow, we deserve whatever we get. Each of us has a choice. I've made mine. I prefer a tea party to a walk in the yard.

Remember "two weeks to flatten the curve"? The same applies here. Had the majority stood up and said "NO!" NONE of that mess would have happened. Instead, the vast majority of people sheepishly took the government at its word and we all paid the price for their naivete/cowardice. Unfortunately, I fear those same people are as weak now as they were then.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The difference is this. In my lifetime, a stocked firearm with a barrel length under 16" has always been an SBR that needed to be registered, so I complied. I thought it was BS BUT that was the way it had been since I came on the scene. A brace is different. It was ruled LEGAL and remained so for around a decade. Now, out of the blue, they are changing the rules to the game AND they are doing it illegally. I am not required to follow an illegal order nor will I. I will continue to go to the range with my firearms as I have always done. If that lands me in a court room, so be it. I will win and I will sue the hell out of the state for the pain and suffering. OR, I might end up dead because I refuse to surrender my LEGALLY owned firearm. It all just depends on my frame of mind that day. Either way, I WILL NOT abide by an illegal edict. I recommend that every Patriot do the same. If everyone stood up and said "NO!", nothing could defeat us. If, instead, we decide to be bootlickers and bow, we deserve whatever we get. Each of us has a choice. I've made mine. I prefer a tea party to a walk in the yard.
    Good internal monologue there, but, again, same charges. If you don't want to comply, go the whole way. Put a stock on it.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Good internal monologue there, but, again, same charges. If you don't want to comply, go the whole way. Put a stock on it.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Did you actually read what I wrote?? The SBR laws were created under the National Firearms Act of 1934. It's a Federal law created by an act of Congress. So, I abide by the law. This brace rule is illegal and holds no weight per the Supreme Court. As a citizen, I'm not required to follow the rule. I cannot be touched. If I am, I am due redress from the government. You seem to be forgetting that WE THE PEOPLE are in charge, NOT the government, whose purpose it to SERVE US. They will serve me, not the other way around. I'm continually amazed by how many people in this state have battered gun owner syndrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom