How do you Mount a Dot Scope on a pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    This is the best I have found. It's not cheap but depending on how many times you need to swap sights out, it pays for itself. Fit and finish and machining are all outstanding. You buy this, and then you buy a shoe for each of the types of gun you need. So for example I have shoes for FNX45, Glock, one for the P365 family, etc. The shoes are all $15 each.

But this will also allow you to do the front sight.

Gets pricey, but I generally change the sights whenever I buy new gun so it's paid for itself by now. Plus changing them for friends, etc, it's good to have in the toolbox like you said.

There may be cheaper ones out there but I think this is sort of like the gold standard.

I got the below in I saw several YouTube videos where they were using this one and it seems to work well. I also got the mounting plate in. The dot is on the way hopefully I get it by Friday. And hopefully it fits I could not find anything that definitively says it will fit or not. If the Leupold is the same footprint and screw pattern as the Vortex then I should be golden.

Is there a specific direction I need to press the rear dovetail sight out? Like left to right? Also when I put it back do I use a dab of blue loctite? The plate has 2 set screws that screw from the top of the plate down onto the slide so maybe that is all it needs.

20230412_092058.jpg

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I got the below in I saw several YouTube videos where they were using this one and it seems to work well. I also got the mounting plate in. The dot is on the way hopefully I get it by Friday. And hopefully it fits I could not find anything that definitively says it will fit or not. If the Leupold is the same footprint and screw pattern as the Vortex then I should be golden.

Is there a specific direction I need to press the rear dovetail sight out? Like left to right? Also when I put it back do I use a dab of blue loctite? The plate has 2 set screws that screw from the top of the plate down onto the slide so maybe that is all it needs.

View attachment 409557

Conventional wisdom is you push it out left to right and then back in right to left. I don't really know how much of a difference that actually makes anymore but that's what people say.

I would not put any Loctite on the dovetail itself but definitely blue Loctite on the screws, and making sure you use a torque driver to make sure you torque everything down to the proper specs. I use a Wheeler fat wrench but anything will do. I mean you can get by without one but I'm just paranoid about my dots moving so I like to make sure they are loctited and torqued to spec.

On a gun that's just for fun I wouldn't be that paranoid.

I also like to take a silver Sharpie and sort of make witness marks on the screws to see if anything starts backing out. Probably excessive :lol2:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Finally finished! Not too bad this sight extractor works great for removing sights. However, the base for the red dot was way to wide to work with it. I realized this once I removed the stock rear sight which came out like butter. I had to put the new base on with a brass hammer. I covered the edge with electrical tape and then a piece of cardboard. A little bit of wacking and it's centered. Tightened down the set screw and will take it to the range to adjust for windage and elevation.

Attachments

• 20230526_114609.jpg
      20230526_114609.jpg
      202.4 KB · Views: 36
    • 20230526_114614.jpg
      20230526_114614.jpg
      230.1 KB · Views: 39
    • 20230526_114626.jpg
      20230526_114626.jpg
      210.7 KB · Views: 39
    • 20230526_114837.jpg
      20230526_114837.jpg
      219 KB · Views: 38
    • 20230526_114952.jpg
      20230526_114952.jpg
      216.2 KB · Views: 37
    • 20230526_115600.jpg
      20230526_115600.jpg
      191.9 KB · Views: 37
    • 20230526_120625.jpg
      20230526_120625.jpg
      158.7 KB · Views: 42
    • 20230526_120641.jpg
      20230526_120641.jpg
      186.4 KB · Views: 43
    • 20230526_121230.jpg
      20230526_121230.jpg
      255.2 KB · Views: 41
    • 20230526_121246.jpg
      20230526_121246.jpg
      96.5 KB · Views: 39

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Finally finished! Not too bad this sight extractor works great for removing sights. However, the base for the red dot was way to wide to work with it. I realized this once I removed the stock rear sight which came out like butter. I had to put the new base on with a brass hammer. I covered the edge with electrical tape and then a piece of cardboard. A little bit of wacking and it's centered. Tightened down the set screw and will take it to the range to adjust for windage and elevation.

****Wow! That came out great! I have the same sight pusher and have only ever used it for iron type sights versus optics. Absolutely works better than beating the old sight out with a steel punch and a hammer as one of my range mates did and ended up breaking the globes in his sights and scratching the crap out of the slide. He wanted to save some $$$ and not buy a sight pusher and I doubt he saved any money having to re-buy the sights *and* buy a sight pusher after his first experience.. :shocked4:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    ****Wow! That came out great! I have the same sight pusher and have only ever used it for iron type sights versus optics. Absolutely works better than beating the old sight out with a steel punch and a hammer as one of my range mates did and ended up breaking the globes in his sights and scratching the crap out of the slide. He wanted to save some $$$ and not buy a sight pusher and I doubt he saved any money having to re-buy the sights *and* buy a sight pusher after his first experience.. :shocked4:

It sits up rather high I have read it is too high to adjust elevation down to the target. It came with two 2mm(ish) rings I think those are supposed to go under the screws to help angle the scope down bit. I will try and see if I can get the elevation to work at 15 yards. It is also kind of big for a pistol. If I get another I think I will get a smaller one. Sig has a smaller one. Holosun too. Not sure I would ever CCW a full-sized USP anyway but for sure not with this scope.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't guess you could even cut that slide, even if you wanted to. Does HK even make a dot ready replacement slide for that gun?

ETA: Actually, you can have it milled.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I don't guess you could even cut that slide, even if you wanted to. Does HK even make a dot ready replacement slide for that gun?

*****One of our RSO's has an optic for the HK, and I'll ask him what the heck it is as I don't see how a cut could be made on that model. Unless it is an HD gun where a bigger optic is arguably better for target acquisition with no real downside since it doesn't go out in public, perhaps something a bit more discrete that is less likely to print would work better on that HK.

It's a nice pistol and a great host for a supressor with the right setup.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    *****One of our RSO's has an optic for the HK, and I'll ask him what the heck it is as I don't see how a cut could be made on that model. Unless it is an HD gun where a bigger optic is arguably better for target acquisition with no real downside since it doesn't go out in public, perhaps something a bit more discrete that is less likely to print would work better on that HK.

It's a nice pistol and a great host for a supressor with the right setup.
    Actually, very doable...

I've had dots on those dovetail plates before. I was not crazy about them at all.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Actually, very doable...

I've had dots on those dovetail plates before. I was not crazy about them at all.
    ****Yikes doesn’t seem that sturdy of a way to mount an optic versus more modern options available now on optic ready platforms.

Cool setup on an HK though assuming the optic doesn’t fling off as you are fighting off hordes of bad guys John Wick style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom