• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    I actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I just kind of zone out on it and next thing I know it's been 2 hours. They're all pretty spotless. I clean them all every time I shoot them.

Old Marine Corps habit. I know it's not necessary, but like I said, I enjoy it.

I'm in the market for a SHTF battle rifle right now and when I finally get one I want to put it through the ringer to test it's reliability. It's going to KILL ME to leave it all dirty and gross for a while.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    It is well documented that there are literally dozens of CQB Training Schools
    that run thousands and thousands of rnds. thru their AR's with no cleaning.

However, since the bolt is steel and the upper receiver is Aluminum.....you had better keep that bolt carrier "LUBED" with a High Temperature lubricant.
    I use Hi- Temperature Wheel Bearing Grease and LIGHTLY paint it on with a small brush onto the 4 bearing/sliding surfaces of the bolt. Oil tends to sling off.....grease is a little more tenacious.

Regarding the 3 gas seals, during a good tear down I apply a little FP-10 to the inside the cylinder....but again, after a few rnds. that gets blown out

Personally, I like shooting guns, smelling guns, cleaning guns, fondling guns....catch my drift !!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    One is clean enough meaning BCG scrubbed, upper receiver scrubbed out and barrel brushed wet with Hoppe's then allowed to soak overnight with Hoppe's and finally patched out. Relubed with Mobil 1.

The other is about 200 rounds dirty and will not get cleaned until after a club shoot the 13th. It will get a touch of oil on the BCG before the shoot.

The clean one is a Bushmaster NM and is my back up high power rifle, the other is a WOP upper on a Double Star lower with Geissele SSA. I generally don't get too happy with cleaning until close to 500 rounds.

BCG's, uppers and chambers I clean with Ed's Red and I let the disassembled BCG soak overnight in it, the carbon falls right odd after that. The barrel I let soak overnight with Hoppe's or if I want fast I use Ed's Red for the carbon and Sweet's for the copper followed by Ed's Red to clean out the Sweet's.

S

sOps

Scratches

For some reason there are minor scratches in random places on mine. Idk where they are coming from but whats the best way to get rid of them?

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    For some reason there are minor scratches in random places on mine. Idk where they are coming from but whats the best way to get rid of them?

Take it out to a 3-day high round count training course and drop it in the dirt a few times, bang it against your kit while on the move and during transition drills, scrape up against a few barriers, go prone, get in and out of vehicles. You'll never notice those small scratches again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom