• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    If you want more oddball loadings, look up dum-dum cartridges. Essentially you take a ball loading, pull the bullet, flip it backwards, and reseat it into the case neck. Before partitions and core-lokt's, they were fairly common.

That is not what a dum-dum round is. A DumDum round was essentially a soft point bullet developed in the late 1800s by the Brits in the DumDum arsenal in India for a way to improve expansion and thus, stopping power. Some uquate the term with hollow points and some with backwards loaded bullets, neither of which are accurate.

As to the practice of reseating a rifle bullet backwards, I would wonder what pressures would do and I don't have to wonder about accuracy. I would think that key holes and tumbling bullets would be the result. The only stuff like this that I ever loaded when we used to carry off duty 5 shot Model 36 Smiths was a Speer hollow base wad cutter loaded backwards over Bullseye. They worked pretty good, but I would hesitate to screw around with 50,000 PSI stuff in a rifle.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    That is not what a dum-dum round is. A DumDum round was essentially a soft point bullet developed in the late 1800s by the Brits in the DumDum arsenal in India for a way to improve expansion and thus, stopping power. Some uquate the term with hollow points and some with backwards loaded bullets, neither of which are accurate.

As to the practice of reseating a rifle bullet backwards, I would wonder what pressures would do and I don't have to wonder about accuracy. I would think that key holes and tumbling bullets would be the result. The only stuff like this that I ever loaded when we used to carry off duty 5 shot Model 36 Smiths was a Speer hollow base wad cutter loaded backwards over Bullseye. They worked pretty good, but I would hesitate to screw around with 50,000 PSI stuff in a rifle.

:thumbsup:truth.

I was moreso saying to google "dum-dum" because of how common it's been used recently to describe backwards bullets and bullets with other alterations. In speciffic, googling "dum-dum bullet" brings you straight to here...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot32_4.htm

thanks for elaborating on the topic though and providing more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom