• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Does anyone have any experience with using horizontal magazine carriers, specifically:
    https://magholder.com/

I am using a vertical style at about 8 o'clock that interferes with getting my phone in and out of my hip pocket. Not a fan of pocket carry.

Thank you!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Years ago when off-duty and was allowed to carry a self-loader I carried a spare mag horizontally. It was less obtrusive and just as fast to remove if needed (it never was). Dual mag carriers were easier vertically.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    I can't tell from the website but does it have a lock that retains the mag in the same groove that lets it lock into the gun?

They seem to be gun specific, not caliber specific. So they might be customized for the mag catch.

If so I'd feel very secure with that. Assuming it still comes out with a good tug and no release buttons.

Horizontal OWB would be preferable to verticle or anything IWB

Last edited:

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I can't tell from the website but does it have a lock that retains the mag in the same groove that lets it lock into the gun?

They seem to be gun specific, not caliber specific. So they might be customized for the mag catch.

If so I'd feel very secure with that. Assuming it still comes out with a good tug and no release buttons.

Horizonst OWB would be preferable to verticle or anything IWB
    Zooming on the pictures I think it's all a friction hold, no catches

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I use a spandex/elastic type horizontal mag pouch. I dont want to use anything else.

There is one you can buy on amazon for about 15, and there is someone that makes one where you get 2 for about the 15 IIRC.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Zooming on the pictures I think it's all a friction hold, no catches
    That was my take on it as well.
    I use a spandex/elastic type horizontal mag pouch. I dont want to use anything else.

There is one you can buy on amazon for about 15, and there is someone that makes one where you get 2 for about the 15 IIRC.
    Thanks, Spandex usually makes me nervous, but I'll have a look.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    That was my take on it as well.

Thanks, Spandex usually makes me nervous, but I'll have a look.
    I looked the thread up, This is the one that some else found. Its cheap enough I would say give it try. Maybe even just for those times you need to be even lower profile, not every day use.

here is the amazon version, it looks like it would work better for longer mags. amazon linky

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I looked the thread up, This is the one that some else found. Its cheap enough I would say give it try. Maybe even just for those times you need to be even lower profile, not every day use.

here is the amazon version, it looks like it would work better for longer mags. amazon linky
    Thank you!
    Just don't keep the mag in the spandex/elastic when not in use. They will stretch to memory and become loose.
    Yeah, that's the thing tho, I'm basically lazy and would probably ruin it. I have a vertical leather carrier that easily goes on and off the belt and the mag just lives there, but it doesn't look as much like a knife case as I'd like and gets in the way of my phone.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you!

Yeah, that's the thing tho, I'm basically lazy and would probably ruin it. I have a vertical leather carrier that easily goes on and off the belt and the mag just lives there, but it doesn't look as much like a knife case as I'd like and gets in the way of my phone.
    Yeah, I feel ya. Last time I carried a spare mag, I was working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom