• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Looking for someone who does handyman/home improvement and could give me a quote on repairing this awning.

The roof is bowing and the rain gutter is leaning. The concrete pad it's on is settling and slanted.

Would like to get estimates on getting this all fixed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Just an observation...you went through the trouble to edit the addresses on the posts, however you left them visible on the trash cans.

Good luck with your fix-it. Suggestion would be to run it past the neighbor and see if they want to split it and get it all done at the same time.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    It's going to be a lot more than the $500 allowance you mentioned in the other thread - probably better off selling to the investor if this has to be fixed..

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    My amateur guestimation is 5000. That's based on my diy experience fixing similar things on my own house.
    Cheaper to tear down the awning if it wasn't shared.

Could they just install a new support column to fix it for the interum?

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

This. For a sale, I would jack up the sagging roof, put in a new post, and then just clean everything up.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Problem with the roof is it is shared , whatever you do to one side will effect the other side . You will be fixing both sides in the long run . IMHO

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    This. For a sale, I would jack up the sagging roof, put in a new post, and then just clean everything up.

No hand rail next door, get their OK for a new post on their side of the middle on your dime, jack the middle to level, New 4x4 on your side tied into hand rail, new 4x4 on their side, 4x4s toenail to overhead, maybe a bracket to the slab to secure the bottom, paint both, call it a day

Or, even better, get the OK, loosen tops of 4x4s, jack the center to level, add short blocks or 4x4 to fill the gap between existing posts and roof, paint to match

Last edited:

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Well heck - if we are just trying to get the water to go the other way lower the downspout and gutter in that direction. downspout is smashed so it needs replaced anyhow...

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville

What I see looks like replacing the slanted slab, and complete roof replacement. I also thought you owned both units. I have no experience with multi family homes. You could do some jacking and gutter adjustments to make it better as long as everything isn't a rotten mess. Depends on the goal, do you want to fix it or just make it look not so bad?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I don't own both units. The owner of the other unit fixed their side when they sold it. They said they were going to get a price to get both sides fixed and I asked them to tell me, but they never did.

I really just need to fix it enough to sell the house, and I need to get some estimates.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You do know that everybody that has been following this knows your address now, since you linked the listing in that other thread.

To fix that thing the right way, it would probably take $500 just in materials between concrete, lumber, and shingles. Probably be a couple days worth of work if I did it myself.

Try to get estimates to jack the slab up (i.e., way cheaper than tearing it all out and pouring a new slab).

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    You do know that everybody that has been following this knows your address now, since you linked the listing in that other thread.

To fix that thing the right way, it would probably take $500 just in materials between concrete, lumber, and shingles. Probably be a couple days worth of work if I did it myself.

Try to get estimates to jack the slab up (i.e., way cheaper than tearing it all out and pouring a new slab).

WRONG. That is an expensive process. My neighbor just had a section of his driveway done. It was about $5k for an area about twice the size in the OP. There's no way I would have paid that for what he got in the end.

You can probably get some skim coat concrete to go over the top of what is there. That'd be my recommendation for a cheap(er) fix. To have someone do it though would be more than $500 I'd bet.

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    If you really need to raise the concrete, the best, cheapest and quickest solution is polyurethane raising foam. It's an amazing product that's done by drilling some 1/2" holes and using a foam injector. The foam sets up like a rock and is permanent. This isn't your Home Depot foam out of a can either.

I have used Chesapeake Concrete Raising in Bel Air, 443-655-1199 and I'm guessing it should run about $1K for that area. Mike and Pam are good people but you'll likely need to wait 3-4 weeks as they are always booked.

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    If it was me and it's more about rain flow I would lower the right side gutter and put on new down spout. Might even give it a little more uniform look. Good luck.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    If you really need to raise the concrete, the best, cheapest and quickest solution is polyurethane raising foam. It's an amazing product that's done by drilling some 1/2" holes and using a foam injector. The foam sets up like a rock and is permanent. This isn't your Home Depot foam out of a can either.

I did that same process to lift a portion of my sunk patio in Arizona. The slab next to sinker was 1.2-2" higher, creating a lip that my (then) 2 year old would trip and fall on, regularly. $1200-1300 well spent.

However, as with all settling or heaving issues, one needs to look at the root cause unless they want a quick fix and sell. In my case, rain water from the pool deck and three separate roof soffits was ponding in that area and slowly washing away the dirt under the slab. So following the slab being lifted with foam, I cut in a trench drain to capture all rain water from the pool deck. That trench drain tee'd in with the downspout and I sent it all out to a better spot to go away.

That patio was completely bone dry on all but the nastiest storms after putting in gutters and the trench drain. In our first storm at that house, we had 2-3" of standing water on the patio with nowhere for it to go.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I had a water line break on a rental a few years back and the line was close enough to the concrete driveway that one corner of the slab noticeably sunk (perhaps 2-3 inches or so) - the pad did not crack but the other end was noticeably up and it made for a pretty nasty bump to drive over.. Once the line had been fixed I decided to have a company "Slab-Jackers" come out and they did their thing. It cost about $1200 but the result was *perfect*, it was dead flat after the fix and they re-caulked an expansion joint that had broken as a result of the slab moving so much after the water line break. I could not have been happier and the driveway still looks perfect a couple of years after the fix.

Dunno how much cheaper you could do it yourself, but it seemed to be that having experience doing that sort of thing makes it more likely the results come out well versus experimenting and possibly cracking or damaging the concrete pad, etc.. The guy that came out took a few measurements and the machinery he used to get it all done did not exactly seem like something worth investing in for one job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom