• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    And while we are at it, fvck Bob Ehrlich for pandering to us with empty words and never doing anything on this front.
    With the other end of the same fence post Fat Larry can sit on.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Man, I need to dig up all of the old hate mail from the old guard that accused all of us early MSI people of being the problem, called us dangerous, and to sit down and let experts do their work.
    Nice job, starting this party long ago.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They're going to claim this is in COMAR and they can't suspend I

In actuality I bet it stands but no one gets called. They won't be able to handle the volume

I intend to put down my direct supervisor and no one else
    We can recommend any changes to COMAR to the Secretary, he has 30 days to reply and either accept or decline them.. If he declines the changes, we can take him to court over it.
    COMAR is only the administrative process to administer the law, and can be suspended/changed by MSP at any time. State Statute is the actual law and can't be suspended by MSP.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Where are you seeing evidence of that?
    We have ben told by several MSP and legislative aids that both MSP and the Legislature have folks that pull up MDS and read the "unread posts" from the previous day, many times.
    Confirmed by the Chiefs of Staff of Bush and Miller when they were the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hogan should have done this years ago. On the other hand, maybe it was good that he didn't? As soon as he did it, the MGA with its democrat supermajority would have immediately codified a need for G&S. So it wouldn't have mattered. But because the MGA stayed out of it, more permits were issued under Hogan than anyone.

I don't know, playing devils advocate.

What is concerning me is how the MGA is going to react next session. I bet we get some NY style oppression.
    Ummmm...Have you actually read the Maryland law??

G&S has been codified in law since 1972.
    Hogan could not have changed G&S when he got elected, it is state law, only the legislature or the courts can change it.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    We can recommend any changes to COMAR to the Secretary, he has 30 days to reply and either accept or decline them.. If he declines the changes, we can take him to court over it.
    COMAR is only the administrative process to administer the law, and can be suspended/changed by MSP at any time. State Statute is the actual law and can't be suspended by MSP.
    So MSI could basically send a letter to MSP saying "hey, you should change the following items in COMAR because without G&S they're no longer needed". If they say "nah dog, thanks though" you could then file a suit challenging it IAW Bruen? Or would this letter be sent to whomever in the state actually writes COMAR?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Seems to me that Thomas was thorough in pre-emptively squashing the expected delaying/infringing ploys.

A nice class action suit against the state on behalf of all the permit holders, with legal fees and damages, would appear to be a possible solution. Naming each representative as defendants for civil rights infringement might be a personal expense they'd care to forgo.
    You would need to repeal Article 1 Section 6 of the US Constitution and Article 3 Section 18 of the Maryland Constitution to be able to do so.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So MSI could basically send a letter to MSP saying "hey, you should change the following items in COMAR because without G&S they're no longer needed". If they say "nah dog, thanks though" you could then file a suit challenging it IAW Bruen? Or would this letter be sent to whomever in the state actually writes COMAR?
    MSI, you, me, JeffG, or anyone could send a letter to the Secretary proposing a change to COMAR by the specific section. The Secretary has 30 days to respond. He can either accept the changes and submit them for publishment, or he can deny to accept them. If he denies to accept the changes, the issue can be taken to the circuit courts and go up the judicial chain from there. No need to cite Bruen, but it would help, given the footnotes. And cite any other additional reasons for the section of COMAR to be changed/removed/added.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    MSI, you, me, JeffG, or anyone could send a letter to the Secretary proposing a change to COMAR by the specific section. The Secretary has 30 days to respond. He can either accept the changes and submit them for publishment, or he can deny to accept them. If he denies to accept the changes, the issue can be taken to the circuit courts and go up the judicial chain from there. No need to cite Bruen, but it would help, given the footnotes. And cite any other additional reasons for the section of COMAR to be changed/removed/added.
    Interesting. Learn something every day. I'd think such a thing would carry more weight coming from MSI or another organization in a well written letter with legal backing cited.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I read and tried to understand as much as I could after the ruling came out. I know NY law goes into effect I think in September is there any lawsuits on their way yet?
    Lawsuits won't start until the day of the law taking effect.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Interesting. Learn something every day. I'd think such a thing would carry more weight coming from MSI or another organization in a well written letter with legal backing cited.
    Some years back there was a guy that kept writing the the Secretary of Halth and Mental Hygene about COMAR changes for sections that were out of date. The Secretary blew him off, the guy took it to court and got most of it changed.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Some years back there was a guy that kept writing the the Secretary of Halth and Mental Hygene about COMAR changes for sections that were out of date. The Secretary blew him off, the guy took it to court and got most of it changed.
    So you'd write to the Secretary of the specific state department which oversees that portion of COMAR? Who would that be in this case, the head of MSP? I am a relative dullard with these things

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    And I don’t believe MSP will actually begin processing applications until state and local governments meet and pass ******** like that.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What Hogan has done, can be changed by the next Governor. or so they think.

What we need is the courts to say "self-defense" is a good and substantial reason, so no governor can take it away from us again!
    Since there is no longer G&S, there is no reason fr self defense be enshrined n he law. BTW, self defense/personal protection has been a G&S reason for over 10 years. The issue has been the administrative over reach by MSP to prove the requirement.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    And I don’t believe MSP will actually begin processing applications until state and local governments meet and pass ******** like that.

They’re processing them right now. Those who submitted before Bruen are getting unrestricted permits right now and in around 2 months (hopefully sooner), we will start seeing permits from those who submitted immediately following the opinion. MSP cannot enforce restrictions and cannot enforce G&S. They’re dead (recognize the plaintiffs in Bruen were issued restricted permits. Nash for outdoor activities like hunting, hiking, etc… and Koch for to and from work — restrictions the majority opinion struck as unconstitutional since they prevent carry in “ANY LOCATION typically open to and frequented by the public.” See pp 6-7 https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf).

Prior holdings that protected MD’s unconstitutional roadblocks are wiped out— Woollard, Snowden, and Scherr are all dead. Subjective tests are dead. Maryland officials have the reality of a still live challenge to contend with at the 4th Circuit and they do not want the hole deeper for them than it already is. This is a big win, guys. The legislature isn’t even going to come back until their normal 90-day session starts in January.

Look up and breathe. Folks get to advocate in support of the right to keep and bear arms from a point of strength with a mostly clear decision that puts the burdens on the government to prove that their restrictions comport to the constitution. There will be hiccups and setbacks along the way, but also triumphs.

6/23/22 was the culmination of over a decade of various groups around the country bringing suit and advocating before their governments and to the public. Things don’t come instantly, but here, the work has all paid off. Many said it would never happen here, and well, it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom