Hilarious: My 'Debate' In Text, Against An Anti-Gunner.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    This was on a YT comment board. I thought some of you guys might find this a funny read. It is a real conversation(albeit long) I had with someone. Enjoy:

Me: "Nowhere else in the Constitution does the phrase "Shall not be infringed" appear. Also note, "the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." NOT the right of the *militia* to keep and bear arms. Also note the placement of this amendment, 2nd.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." - James Madison"

Him: "You're right... the people are the ones to bear arms...FOR THE SAKE OF FORMING MILITIAS! Deranged teenagers, gangs, and good 'ol boys shooting beer cans is NOT a well-regulated militia. Your analysis is self-serving and silly. I don't care how many of your co-fetishists gave you a thumbs up, you're dead wrong."

Me: "Explain how my analysis is wrong. Go ahead, take your best shot. I honestly can't wait to hear this."

Him: "Already explained it, Dweeb. You can't parse the words as you have done. Simple. Self-evident. Yes...people..but for the SAKE of militias, not for the not-so-well-regulated (get it?) way guns are used today. You sitting on that old sofa in front of your double-wide shooting varmints is not the intention, much less how Holmes, Lanza, et al use guns. But I'm sure your co-fetishists just LOVE your sanctimonious little tirade."

Me: "The first clause establishes the importance, the second clause establishes the *actual right*.

Understand? If not, perhaps Mr. Scalia, Justice of the Supreme Court, can explain this even more clearly for you.

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

You had your chance, and you blew it. Lick your wounds and limp away, "dweeb"."

I have many conversations like this, but this one in particular struck me as ridiculously brutal. He replied afterwards, but with curse words and insults, so I omitted it from the conversation here. :)

I could add the reply and censor out any profanities if anyone shows interest lol...

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    This thread is useless without the last message

Him: "Your disagreement doesn't make it fact, no matter how huffy you get, Scooter.
    Yes, I'm aware that your self-serving interpretation is out there. Defies common sense.

Scalia, (on Fox *Freaking* News, no less): "My starting point and ending point probably will be what limitations are within the understood limitations that the society had at the time. They had some limitation on the nature of arms that could be born. So, we’ll see what those limitations are as applied to modern weapons."

*Buttregion*."

Me: "Except that it isn't *my* interpretation, it is the Supreme Court's. That wasn't just a quote given during a "Fox Freaking News" interview, it was the decision of DoC V. Heller.

In case you STILL do not understand this, you are not arguing with me here, you are arguing with THE SUPREME COURT.

I understand your fragile ego is having trouble coping with the fact that I just handed you your *butt*. But that is why I'm going to put you in time out, indefinitely.

Tantrum away, "scooter". ;)"

I replaced the expletives with softer versions of the word...:rolleyes:

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I personally wouldn't make the argument that "I am right cause SCOTUS says so." What happens when we get a bad court? Does that make us wrong?

Instead, go to the original text that drove them to the decision. "well regulated" doesn't actually mean what it means in modern day English. They would have understood it to mean "well equipped". That is, with the current arms of the day.

Re: Militias, they defined them as both organized and unorganized. Where the latter is all military aged males. Thus the people, even those not in an organized militia, are part of the unorganized militia and still need to be "well regulated" or rather, well equipped.

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    I personally wouldn't make the argument that "I am right cause SCOTUS says so." What happens when we get a bad court? Does that make us wrong?

Instead, go to the original text that drove them to the decision. "well regulated" doesn't actually mean what it means in modern day English. They would have understood it to mean "well equipped". That is, with the current arms of the day.

Re: Militias, they defined them as both organized and unorganized. Where the latter is all military aged males. Thus the people, even those not in an organized militia, are part of the unorganized militia and still need to be "well regulated" or rather, well equipped.

So regardless, all citizens make up some form of a militia ?

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Libs always resort to name-calling & vitriol the minute they are called out on something. Glad to see your friend fit right in.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    You can always go back to statements from various founding fathers of the United States that support the Second Amendment individual rights.

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson

That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms…
    – Samuel Adams, in “Phila. Independent Gazetteer”, August 20, 1789

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    - Alexander Hamilton

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?"
    - Patrick Henry

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."
    - Patrick Henry

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed -- unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    - James Madison

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson quoting criminologist Cesare Beccaria, from "On Crimes and Punishment", 1764

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
    — George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Don't argue with a fool, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom