• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm a noob. I'm doing my reading trying to figure out this reloading thing but in the meantime, I need to finish getting all the gear. I will be reloading (at least) 9mm, .45, 5.56 and .308.

So far I have this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/rcbs-rc-supreme-master-kit-9361.html

I know that I still need dies, calipers, case timmer and a way to clean brass (thanks stu929).

For a tumbler, I was looking at this: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...roduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D731769&WTz_l=Product Any thoughts?

I found a bench at Harbor Freight that I will probably use.

How about the rest of the stuff? Any brands recommended over others? Best places to shop for reloading supplies?

I was hoping there would be a sticky in this section to get noobs up and running. If any of the experienced reloaders wanted to take that on, I think it would be a great resource :innocent0

ETA: I saw the Dillon thread that is stickied, but something more general and not geared just towards getting a Dillon up and running is what I was hoping for.

Due to the calibers you listed, I recommend that instead of going with a single stage that you go with a turret, or better yet a progressive press.

You can run the 550 as a single stage if you want to, I do when making 308 match loads.

As for taking a crack at making a new sticky, I'll start work on it this afternoon/evening. Just like my last mega post, If I forget something, I'll give credit to those who remind/inform me where I missed something.

Mental list to start...

Press (or kit)
    Dies
    Powder thrower
    Scale
    Tumbler
    Brass trays
    Boxes (completed rounds)
    Labels
    Books
    Bullet puller

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff.

OP, where are you located? I have a few extra buckets that I use to store/separate brass by firings. If you would like a few, they are yours.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Why? Is stainless harder to use? And I haven't started reloading or buying yet. Still reading on the subject so I'm always looking for information and opinions from you experienced guys.

Some just want the brass clean to protect their dies. They don't care about cleaning the primer pockets or shiny brass. To each their own. For me, the crushed walnut and dust was about as much a pain as the water and drying with pins. The steel pins don't get dusty, or wear out. Find what floats your boat.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    interesting thread... not a know it all... basically what works for you. Everyone on here has their favorite press, dies, trimmer, tumbler, powder, brass...etc.
    Rockchucker is a good press still kickin here after 25-30yrs.

There are many ways to go.
    How much do you want to reload?
    How much shooting are you going to do?
    the above go hand in hand, the more you reload the more you shoot, so
    spending the least amount of time reloading and more shooting.

To start the Rockchucker will work, I've used mine to swage boolits, form wildcat cases etc. As time goes on you will continue to "expand" your reloading
    to include faster ways to cut down on "prep time", to be able to do things in bulk.

As you will find here people like Lee, Dillon, RCBS, and on, single stage, turret, progressive. There is a saying buy once, cry once....;)

Current setup:
    Presses: RCBS Rockchuckers, Dillons, old Pacific Pro 7's
    Scales: Dillon Digital, RCBS 10-10 (reworked) Lyman beam scale, RCBS 505
    Dies: Dillon, RCBS, Redding
    Powder measures: Ohaus(old) RCBS, Redding, Harrell.
    Brass tumblers: Dillon, Rock tumbler (corn cob or walnut shells) Homemade stainless steel wet
    Case Trimmers: Old Lyman, WFT, Giraud
    Neck Trimmers: Forester
    Funnels: RCBS, Satern, homemade out of solid brass
    Hand priming tools: Lee, RCBS
    Powder Tricklers: RCBS, Redding
    Bullet pullers: Kinetic, Collet
    Loading blocks: what ever works, homemade from wood blocks
    Hornady Lock n Load bushing kits for RCBS press and plenty of bushings makes swapping out dies
    quicker.

Primers: CCI, Federal or what ever is the cheapest for what I need
    Powders: 231, Bullseye, IMR8208, IMR4895, H110, IMR7010, IMR4064
    Surplus Mil WCC844, WCC846.. the list goes on and are outside Md.
    Bullets: Lapua, Sierra, Hornady, Surplus, cast etc..
    Calipers: Craftsman, Starrett (fathers)
    Good reloading manuals, several ....
    Log books for load record keeping or spreadsheet for reloading (prints labels also)

And last but least... practice safety..safety...safety...stay focused...
    the list goes on... I have acquired these over the years...

once again choose what works for you and your needs, you can always build
    on it.

No-one knows it all...we all learn everyday....

-Rock

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm a noob. I'm doing my reading trying to figure out this reloading thing but in the meantime, I need to finish getting all the gear. I will be reloading (at least) 9mm, .45, 5.56 and .308.

So far I have this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/rcbs-rc-supreme-master-kit-9361.html

I know that I still need dies, calipers, case timmer and a way to clean brass (thanks stu929).

For a tumbler, I was looking at this: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...roduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D731769&WTz_l=Product Any thoughts?

I found a bench at Harbor Freight that I will probably use.

How about the rest of the stuff? Any brands recommended over others? Best places to shop for reloading supplies?

I was hoping there would be a sticky in this section to get noobs up and running. If any of the experienced reloaders wanted to take that on, I think it would be a great resource :innocent0

ETA: I saw the Dillon thread that is stickied, but something more general and not geared just towards getting a Dillon up and running is what I was hoping for.

You wanted a thread for just single stage? Ask and ye shall receive. Want me to ask the mods to make it a sticky?

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=136557

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Progressive press only makes sense if you shoot a LOT.

On my Dillon 650 I produce pistol rounds at a rate of 800 - 1000 per hour. .223 rifle rounds at about 600. So unless you only want to reload once a year (if you have enough brass, bullets, and powder to go so), a single stage will do fine.

I recommend starting with a single stage press. As you will always have use for one. Working up loads, I prefer a single stage. Using a collet puller, and some other jobs.

If you want REALLY shiny brass, SS pins are great. I use a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media and a bit of polish. Gets the brass clean and somewhat shiny. Not much dust with the corn cob media. I had not had a need to use walnut hull media.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Hey, Know-it-alls,

That leaves me out. Just call me SGT Shultz...

hogans-heroes-cbs-198-b.jpg

( smartass comments to follow I am sure...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom