• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I have a small (20acre) property I hunt that's mostly mature woods. There is limited cover but there's a small section that is a transition area that has been productive. I'd like to do some cutting and planting to make the rest of the property more attractive. I am trying to figure out my access relative to possible bedding and transition areas before I start cutting. I'd like to get this right the first time so I'm looking for someone with experience. Does anyone have, or know someone who has, expertise in habitat design?
    Thanks!

Duckaneer

Jan 29, 2013
    Are there oaks on the property? Also what direction do you have to approach your stand? Fall and winter winds in Maryland are out of the north and west, your best approach would be from the south or east.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Check out a youtube channel called Sean's outdoor adventures. He hunts in MD and PA and gives some really good advice on this exact topic. I actually paid for one of his more comprehensive videos last year and found it well worth the small fee (I think like $5 or $10).

As duckaneer mentioned, figure out the prevailing wind direction as a starting point. 20 acres is kind of small but you should have enough space to set up several stand locations in different areas. That way you can pick a stand to hunt based on wind direction and time of day.

Personally, I would just hunt it this season as it is. You don't want to go do a bunch of messing around at this point. But in February or March, you can go ahead and get it set up for next year.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Personally, I would just hunt it this season as it is. You don't want to go do a bunch of messing around at this point. But in February or March, you can go ahead and get it set up for next year.[/QUOTE]

That's the plan. Thanks for the tip on Sean - I'll check him out later today. I took a nice buck on opening day that had been hanging out in a small thicket near a fence line. He'd been using that spot for at least two weeks prior. That got me to thinking that late season cover would go a long way to holding the deer. I'm well aware of scent and wind - that's what makes particular property tricky. With limited space it's hard to ensure stealthy access even if I write off a south wind as a non-hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom