Help! Rifle length buffer tube is stuck.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    I recently bought a VLTOR A5 stock kit to slap on to my CMMG lower and attempted to install it. Now I've got the whole A2 buttstock off the lower and on my table, but I can't seem to manage to get the buffer tube off.

The buffer and buffer spring are already out. I'm using a stock wrench and everything, but I just can't seem to manage to get the thing to budge, even with a second person holding the lower.

I've read in some places that this is supposedly a loctite issue, and I need to heat the threads up with a hair-dryer or something, but I don't see any red loctite residue around the threads.

Any tips?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Youll need a padded vise if its on tight. You also dont always see the loctite. If its there a hairdryer wont put a dent in it, you need a propane torch or heat gun.

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    But it is kosher to use a propane torch? I've got one, I was just worried about damaging the lower.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    But it is kosher to use a propane torch? I've got one, I was just worried about damaging the lower.

You don't need to get it too hot. When breaking Loctited things loose I put on a few drops of Kroil, hit it with the propane torch. once I see a tiny bit of Kroil/Loctite bubbling out of the threads or the first hint of smoke, it's hot enough.

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    You don't need to get it too hot. When breaking Loctited things loose I put on a few drops of Kroil, hit it with the propane torch. once I see a tiny bit of Kroil/Loctite bubbling out of the threads or the first hint of smoke, it's hot enough.

Much obliged. I'll go give that a shot.

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    Well, despite my best efforts with a vice, propane torch, and 2 different kinds of oil, that bad boy is still stuck on there. I guess my next logical option is a gunsmith?

M1Abrams

Gunsmith/FFL Type 7 Manf.
    Well, despite my best efforts with a vice, propane torch, and 2 different kinds of oil, that bad boy is still stuck on there. I guess my next logical option is a gunsmith?
    Your issue is not with Loctite. The castle nut holding the Buffer Tube is more than likely staked in one or two spots. I am a Type 7 Class 2 SOT FFL, PM me if it is staked and I'll help you out......

walstib

Jul 4, 2010
    havre de grace
    stuck buffer tube

had the same problem with a colt hbar lower.finally bought the large armores wrench. put a 30 rnd mag in it (empty),locked it between my legs and gave it a quick snap with a cheater bar and buffer tube came loose, i did not notice any locktight but i fought it for a week so somthing didn't want to let loose. thought about heating lowwer but was worried about warpage of the lower. new buffer tube went right in.if you choose to use a vice use a lower reciever vice block. good luck.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Your issue is not with Loctite. The castle nut holding the Buffer Tube is more than likely staked in one or two spots. I am a Type 7 Class 2 SOT FFL, PM me if it is staked and I'll help you out......

A2 Stocks dont have castle nut or staking.

You should also pony up the I.P. Fee in order to sell your Services and Inventory. All of your posts have been selling your business. This is not allowed unless you work for or are an I.P.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm in Annapolis, so I figured Scott's in Glen Burnie.

Scotts can help, if you ask he may even remove it while you wait. It depends on what he is working on and wether his day has gone to shit. Earlier in the day the better. ;)

I wont be in this coming week or I would say swing by and Ill do it while you wait. It wouldnt cost ya anything if I did it. Scott may or may not charge you. If he dosent he always appreciates someone buying something but it isnt required if we give free service.

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    Scotts can help, if you ask he may even remove it while you wait. It depends on what he is working on and wether his day has gone to shit. Earlier in the day the better. ;)

I wont be in this coming week or I would say swing by and Ill do it while you wait. It wouldnt cost ya anything if I did it. Scott may or may not charge you. If he dosent he always appreciates someone buying something but it isnt required if we give free service.

No matter how small the job, people's time is valuable. It's time they could be using to do something else. If it ends up being free, I'm sure I would be able to find a few things I just couldn't walk out of the place without. If it's not... well, that'll probably happen anyway.

I appreciate all the help, especially how prompt it was. I'll have to make a point to stop by sometime when you're back in the shop to say hello and thank you.

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    A2 Stocks dont have castle nut or staking.

You should also pony up the I.P. Fee in order to sell your Services and Inventory. All of your posts have been selling your business. This is not allowed unless you work for or are an I.P.

Agreed Chad! and M1Abrams if you are trying to offer a service atleast know what you are talking about I.E. castle nut/staking

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom