• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonofagun1267

May 9, 2012
    Silver Spring
    Well my buddy really wants to get into hunting. We both bought rifles his is a Sako I bought an AMERICAN rifle, a Remington 700 Police in .308. Well I know little about this rifle. I just installed an aluminum rail on it and plan to stick a Trijicon accupoint 5-20X50 on it. I was gonna go with the BAC triangle configuration but mil dot would be better for range estimation. The rail is a 20 MOA, I hope that will be fine, I was gonna go with the 0 MOA but I got shipped a 20MOA. I'm looking at shooting anywhere from 100-600 yards. I hope you fine folks could give me some advice on anything related to the 700 or hunting and long distance shooting.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    The Remington 700P is a fine rifle but in my view a bit heavy for hunting. Why did you choose this model?

Where do you plan to hunt with your rifle? Most areas near Montgomery County only allow hunting with shotguns.

On your choice of scopes - impressive and expensive. Perhaps a bit bigger than I would choose but at least you did not buy an expensive rifle and then install a cheap scope on it.

On your comment about 100-600 yards for shooting - while the rifle and scope setup you have selected is certainly able to support long range shooting where can you shoot more than 100 yards? Maryland is not known for having long distance ranges available.

Ultimate Member
    Well my buddy really wants to get into hunting. We both bought rifles his is a Sako I bought an AMERICAN rifle, a Remington 700 Police in .308. Well I know little about this rifle. I just installed an aluminum rail on it and plan to stick a Trijicon accupoint 5-20X50 on it. I was gonna go with the BAC triangle configuration but mil dot would be better for range estimation. The rail is a 20 MOA, I hope that will be fine, I was gonna go with the 0 MOA but I got shipped a 20MOA. I'm looking at shooting anywhere from 100-600 yards. I hope you fine folks could give me some advice on anything related to the 700 or hunting and long distance shooting.

I thought everyone wanted to shoot 1,000 yards? To get to a range over 100 yards you'll have to drive a bit outside of the area. I also heard people in DC get scared when they know others have precision rifles. Which direction do you want to go? Stay in MD, head to VA, head to WVa?

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    If you're looking for a range with a little bit of distance check out the PA public range on the game lands in Carlisle, PA. Rifle out to 300 yds, and you can buy a pass online for $30 and print it out - that gets you and a guest access for an entire year. Probably one of the longest (and definitely cheapest) ranges you will find in the area within easy driving distance. I also recently bought a Rem 700, got a special run SPS LT. Tactical, just put it in a Bell&Carlson stock with Leupold glass. Shoots like a dream, I'm sure you will be happy with yours.

sonofagun1267

May 9, 2012
    Silver Spring
    The weight feels right, its heavy but I am used to it. I chose this model because of its long and successful history in the military and in the civilian sector. I am willing to travel to find some good hunting grounds, maybe take a week off work and go on a road trip. As far as the scope, I wanted to broaden my options of the distances so I am looking at high power scopes. Who know's I may like long distance shooting, I don't know yet, sounds exciting though.

The Remington 700P is a fine rifle but in my view a bit heavy for hunting. Why did you choose this model?

Where do you plan to hunt with your rifle? Most areas near Montgomery County only allow hunting with shotguns.

On your choice of scopes - impressive and expensive. Perhaps a bit bigger than I would choose but at least you did not buy an expensive rifle and then install a cheap scope on it.

On your comment about 100-600 yards for shooting - while the rifle and scope setup you have selected is certainly able to support long range shooting where can you shoot more than 100 yards? Maryland is not known for having long distance ranges available.

sonofagun1267

May 9, 2012
    Silver Spring
    Lol yea after the DC sniper people are afraid of precision rifles. I don't mind traveling I hope to explore WVa, MD, and Virginia maybe head out West.

I thought everyone wanted to shoot 1,000 yards? To get to a range over 100 yards you'll have to drive a bit outside of the area. I also heard people in DC get scared when they know others have precision rifles. Which direction do you want to go? Stay in MD, head to VA, head to WVa?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Your 20 minute base will be fine.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Some thoughts if you're looking at primarily using this rifle as a hunting rifle and you've got some money to work with (guessing you do given your choice in scope).

- Lighten it up with some barrel fluting (you'll need a decent gunsmith to do this for you)
    - Consider replacing the HS Precision stock with something a little lighter and with a higher cheek piece / comb (you'll want something that raises the comb to align better with that large 50mm bell). A McMillan HTG general purpose hunting stock with adjustable cheek piece would work nicely and has a classic look to it.
    - If you stick with the HS stock, consider adding a cheek rest. Again, it compensates for the low comb on the HS stock and the large telescope you just put on your rifle. It's an easy DIY job. Link below.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-hunting-stock-list.php?subnav=branch2d
    http://www.tacticalworks.com/Karsten-s-Custom-Cheek-Rest-A-Model.html

General purpose things to consider on upgrading your 700P (hunting and/or long range target shooting).

- Good aftermarket trigger (I personally like Timney). If you're using this rifle to hunt, I wouldn't get it set lower than 3#
    - Once you've settled on a stock, get it pillar bedded (skim bedding works if you stick with the HS Precision stock since it's aluminum blocked to begin with).

Good luck and let us know how it shoots!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom