Hello from Charles County. I got the bug!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ak47drummer

May 5, 2023
    Laurel
    Welcome and just like everyone else has said, buy from a Md shop, it's cash & carry if you pass the quick background check. A Md compliant AR15 rifle has to be heavy barrel(whatever that is) and have a 10 rounds or less magazine. You can own magazines greater than 10 rds but you can't buy them in Md.

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    Yeah I keep reading about the AR being heavy barrel. I went to check out a few at the local shops. But there isn’t anything I like. I went to local gun pawn shop and their in store prices are higher on used rifles than MSRP lol plus the used ones didn’t feel all that great. Kind of clunky. I did also visit Fred’s Outdoors just to see what they got a same thing. Nothing really exciting that I want to jump on at the price point they were selling. They had some Ruger around $900 and to me when I held the gun it just didn’t feel like it was worth the price.

I did end up going to Gun Monkey’s Armory in La Plata and it’s a nice little shop. Spoke to the gentleman there. All that had on hand was some nice fancy AR’s that were WAY out of my price point but he did suggest I could order something cheaper off the website and it should be there in about a week or so and I can pick it up. I’ll be checking out the website later this evening.

Today I also plan on driving 1 1/2 hours after work up north to go see SGSG in Woodbrine and see what they got on hand/stock (hopefully something in my price point ~up to 6-700) and have a little chat and if not then maybe talk about ordering some parts to build a decent one in that price point.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yeah I keep reading about the AR being heavy barrel. I went to check out a few at the local shops. But there isn’t anything I like. I went to local gun pawn shop and their in store prices are higher on used rifles than MSRP lol plus the used ones didn’t feel all that great. Kind of clunky. I did also visit Fred’s Outdoors just to see what they got a same thing. Nothing really exciting that I want to jump on at the price point they were selling. They had some Ruger around $900 and to me when I held the gun it just didn’t feel like it was worth the price.

I did end up going to Gun Monkey’s Armory in La Plata and it’s a nice little shop. Spoke to the gentleman there. All that had on hand was some nice fancy AR’s that were WAY out of my price point but he did suggest I could order something cheaper off the website and it should be there in about a week or so and I can pick it up. I’ll be checking out the website later this evening.

Today I also plan on driving 1 1/2 hours after work up north to go see SGSG in Woodbrine and see what they got on hand/stock (hopefully something in my price point ~up to 6-700) and have a little chat and if not then maybe talk about ordering some parts to build a decent one in that price point.
    Last time I saw, Brian at SCSG had a couple of deltons in that general range. He can and will build up a rig for you but you may be out of your price range by the time you are done picking out candy from the case. Just a warning.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Welcome! Talk with Perrin and Brad at Genesis. Both are a wealth of knowledge.

ak47drummer

May 5, 2023
    Laurel

Next time you're headed North, stop by Hanover Armory in Hanover(near BWI Airport). You can buy one of their manufactured AR15 lowers(yes, they have milling machines) and parts to build yours or have them build it or just buy a complete rifle. It feels good to buy locally made

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    Next time you're headed North, stop by Hanover Armory in Hanover(near BWI Airport). You can buy one of their manufactured AR15 lowers(yes, they have milling machines) and parts to build yours or have them build it or just buy a complete rifle.
    Oooo that sounds like a great idea! I do want to experience building one at one point. I have some work up in Glen Burnie this Monday so I think I’ll check them out for sure. Thanks for the suggestion! Everything I’ve read so far building one seems to be the cheapest route to take and can score some good uppers on sale. Just need to find the right upper that can be shipped and is Hberrel.

ak47drummer

May 5, 2023
    Laurel
    If you never assembled a lower, it can be tricky, especially the springs and you need special tools. I'd recommend buying a completed lower or have the store put it together after you choose your parts for a stripped lower. It took 20 minutes while I waited and it wasn't expensive.

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    If you never assembled a lower, it can be tricky, especially the springs and you need special tools. I'd recommend buying a completed lower or have the store put it together after you choose your parts for a stripped lower. It took 20 minutes while I waited and it wasn't expensive.
    Any chance you can tell me what parts you ended up ordering/ had them put together? I didn’t see any parts or lowers on their website at the moment except for complete rifles. Maybe you can send a picture of what you ended up building?

ak47drummer

May 5, 2023
    Laurel
    Any chance you can tell me what parts you ended up ordering/ had them put together? I didn’t see any parts or lowers on their website at the moment except for complete rifles. Maybe you can send a picture of what you ended up building?
    Hanover Armory - stripped lower, Aero Precision Lower parts kit(Hanover assembled the lower)
    Primary Arms online order - Buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, castle nut, stock.

Ordered the BCG & charging handle, forgot where
    Upper from Hanover Armory
    Optics from optic planet online
    Magpull backup iron sights
    Magpull sling

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Last time I saw, Brian at SCSG had a couple of deltons in that general range. He can and will build up a rig for you but you may be out of your price range by the time you are done picking out candy from the case. Just a warning.

Delton is an excellent entry level firearm.

My first firearm was a Delton AR-15. I ended up taking it to one of Chad’s SOTAR build classes, where we took it apart, checked specs and put it all back together. Everything checked out well within spec.

I used that rifle for my first NRA High Power match. I was the guy who showed up in a tee shirt and cargo shorts and a furniture moving pad as my shooting matt. Shot 412/500 and the rifle was not the limiting factor.

The funny think is, that I got the bug to upgrade parts. First the stock, then hand guard, then trigger, and then everything else until the only thing original was the upper and lower. Eventually I brought a new upper and lower, then rebuilt the rifle with most of the original Delton parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    Delton is an excellent entry level firearm.

My first firearm was a Delton AR-15. I ended up taking it to one of Chad’s SOTAR build classes, where we took it apart, checked specs and put it all back together. Everything checked out well within spec.

I used that rifle for my first NRA High Power match. I was the guy who showed up in a tee shirt and cargo shorts and a furniture moving pad as my shooting matt. Shot 412/500 and the rifle was not the limiting factor.

The funny think is, that I got the bug to upgrade parts. First the stock, then hand guard, then trigger, and then everything else until the only thing original was the upper and lower. Eventually I brought a new upper and lower, then rebuilt the rifle with most of the original Delton parts.

This is literally what I see myself end up doing or most likely end up doing. I haven’t even decided on a rifle yet and I’m already looking at different online retailers for upgrades for triggers and hand guards lol. I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive hobby and rabbit hole I’m digging myself into.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    This is literally what I see myself end up doing or most likely end up doing. I haven’t even decided on a rifle yet and I’m already looking at different online retailers for upgrades for triggers and hand guards lol. I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive hobby and rabbit hole I’m digging myself into.

I’m not going to deny that I’ve made many bad firearm related purchases over the years. I’ll define bad as money spent on something that didn’t improve any aspect of the firearm’s performance and/or actually decreased performance.

What I learned about that first Delton rifle was that the only two changes that were really beneficial me. That was, changing the stock and the trigger. I would have saved myself about $500 if I had just stopped there.

Now, on the flip side, I learned from those costly mistakes. I was able to build some pretty decent rifles myself later on down the road, that have remained in their original build configuration after sending thousands of rounds down range.

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    Yeah I think I need to make a decision today or tomorrow regarding purchasing a fully built rifle or go DIY route. I found a Diamondback DB15 at $558 and I think this is probably the cheapest functioning MD legal I could find. I’ll make a new post in the proper section and get some opinions. I feel like all the YouTube videos I’ve seen seem to be kind of marketing samples lol.

Attachments

• 82605986-24EF-4614-9A5D-AB6277153BC0.jpeg
      82605986-24EF-4614-9A5D-AB6277153BC0.jpeg
      115.7 KB · Views: 34

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Yeah I think I need to make a decision today or tomorrow regarding purchasing a fully built rifle or go DIY route. I found a Diamondback DB15 at $558 and I think this is probably the cheapest functioning MD legal I could find. I’ll make a new post in the proper section and get some opinions. I feel like all the YouTube videos I’ve seen seem to be kind of marketing samples lol.

Welcome.

I agree with the others recommending visiting some local FFLs. We all like to shop online and find the best deals, and I understand budget constraints. Having said that, it is good to develop a relationship with an FFL for both current and future needs. Or several. When you find a good one, you may be surprised how competitive they can be and no shipping or transfer fees to account for.

Also, and I’m not being snarky but how is that AR MD legal? Just curious how you came to that conclusion.

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    Welcome.

I agree with the others recommending visiting some local FFLs. We all like to shop online and find the best deals, and I understand budget constraints. Having said that, it is good to develop a relationship with an FFL for both current and future needs. Or several. When you find a good one, you may be surprised how competitive they can be and no shipping or transfer fees to account for.

Also, and I’m not being snarky but how is that AR MD legal? Just curious how you came to that conclusion.
    That Diamondback DB15 I was told was MD legal by Gun Monkey’s in LaPlata when I went to go visit them. They didn’t have one on hand but I was told I can order through their website and she should get it in about a week. I had actually drove up to SCSG and unfortunately they were closed for vacation the day I visited so I ended up going locally to Gun Money’s the next day.

Last edited:

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    That Diamondback DB15 I was told was MD legal by Gun Monkey’s in LaPlata when I went to go visit them. They didn’t have one on hand but I was told I can order through their website and she should get it in about a week.

Fair enough. I’ll be interested in the replies you get on the other thread. I’m an AR neophyte. I went with a basic Colt and called it a day years ago but sometimes I get the itch for one of these fancier builds I see .

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    Yeah the eye candy on some of those builds are #drooling lol

I work with Carbon Fiber so maybe on a long weekend I might make my own parts for it such as hand guard is something I want to make from a two piece mold ever since I rented that fancy Christensen Arms CA5five6. Such a lovely piece but I can’t justify the cost of that pretty looking thing. It was surprisingly light compared to some of the cheaper ones I’ve gotten to hold at the local shops around town last and this week.

Attachments

• 0D84C1F8-2EB5-42A0-AA77-C73E52B55B9C.png
      0D84C1F8-2EB5-42A0-AA77-C73E52B55B9C.png
      473.5 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads