Have you ever been called out for carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I came clean to the wife a few days ago. Two months or so of daily carry and she never noticed. That is a confidence booster.

We had a minor incursion on the homestead. Some ne're-do-wells climbed our dark, steep driveway to get in to both our cars and steel a few things. We had been lazy about locking the car doors because who would make their way up for petty stuff? Well...I now have approval for cameras. And the wife gave me absolutely no grief about carrying, which surprised me. Also, she wants a place to keep a gun in the living room where it is readily accessible but out of sight. I'm having a hard time reconciling the "don't you have enough guns? Maybe you should sell some" wife of a few months ago with this new permissive model I seem to have found myself with.
    My neighbor didn't lock his truck most nights. Some POS opens the door, roots around and swipes a few bucks worth of parking meter money out of the ashtray, and in the process does enough damage to the ashtray and dash that it took $300 to fix. Ugh! Lock 'um up boys.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    My neighbor didn't lock his truck most nights. Some POS opens the door, roots around and swipes a few bucks worth of parking meter money out of the ashtray, and in the process does enough damage to the ashtray and dash that it took $300 to fix. Ugh! Lock 'um up boys.
    They stole the tray out of my wife's center console. The bastards. Probably gonna far exceed the cost of what was in the tray.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Yes several times, once in Wegmans in owings mills, once in REI in Hunt Valley and once in target also in Hunt Valley.

In each instances I was asked if I was off duty LE, to which I responded “no”. Then just got weird stares and looks.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I came clean to the wife a few days ago. Two months or so of daily carry and she never noticed. That is a confidence booster.

We had a minor incursion on the homestead. Some ne're-do-wells climbed our dark, steep driveway to get in to both our cars and steel a few things. We had been lazy about locking the car doors because who would make their way up for petty stuff? Well...I now have approval for cameras. And the wife gave me absolutely no grief about carrying, which surprised me. Also, she wants a place to keep a gun in the living room where it is readily accessible but out of sight. I'm having a hard time reconciling the "don't you have enough guns? Maybe you should sell some" wife of a few months ago with this new permissive model I seem to have found myself with.

Steal. You may now steel your resolve to lock your cars but the dindus came to STEAL from you.

Carry on....

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yes several times, once in Wegmans in owings mills, once in REI in Hunt Valley and once in target also in Hunt Valley.

In each instances I was asked if I was off duty LE, to which I responded “no”. Then just got weird stares and looks.

Were you open carrying, or just not giving a damn if someone saw it?

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    If he really thought you were a desperate criminal, then seeing you come back into the store might have made him think that you had decided to eliminate the witnesses.

In that case, it might have been reasonable and prudent for him to meet your return with a drawn gun of his own.
    I never even thought of it that way.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I never even thought of it that way.

I heard about a defensive gun use in Texas some years ago.

Broad daylight in a small store front carry out restaurant. Customers standing around waiting for their food. Armed robber hits the place, gets the loot, and runs out the door. No one resists, no one is hurt.

Robber gets halfway across the parking lot and has second thoughts. Stops. Turns around and starts back toward the place he just robbed.

One customer is carrying. Sees the robber coming back, and decides it's go time. He stands in the doorway and fires several rounds toward the robber: don't know if he missed on purpose or what. Maybe he hit the robber.

Anyway, the robber suddenly remembered an appointment somewhere else, and went on his way.

In my vague memory of the story, there was universal agreement among customers and cops that the armed civilian had saved everybody's lives.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I'm having a hard time reconciling the "don't you have enough guns? Maybe you should sell some" wife of a few months ago with this new permissive model I seem to have found myself with.
    It's amazing the logical shift that takes place when people who previously have never felt the need for protection, suddenly are confronted with the fact that they do in fact need protection,

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

A tissue box makes a good concealment in the living room:

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    Sorta called out. I've been using a SuperTuck, so my wife is accustomed to it. She wasn't aware of the appendix holster I bought. My wife noticed the black clips next to my belt buckle and asked if I was carrying.

The J-clips are now going on to eliminate that giveaway. I haven't tried them yet as I like how the stock clips are supported on the belt as opposed to the pants.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I'm surprised by all the "wife doesn't/didn't know" comments.

How does that not come up in conversation or even getting ready together when going out or getting undressed at the end of the day etc?

Y'all living the I Love Lucy separate beds lifestyle out there or what?

o_O

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    We took the w&c class together so I'm not hiding anything. She loves to shoot & owns plenty of guns but isn't interested in carrying right now. The fact is that I don't flaunt the fact that I carry, not even at home.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    We took the w&c class together so I'm not hiding anything. She loves to shoot & owns plenty of guns but isn't interested in carrying right now. The fact is that I don't flaunt the fact that I carry, not even at home.
    Nothing wrong with that ;)
    concealed is concealed.jpg

owldo

Ultimate Member
    I confess! I'm a newb at the whole W&C thing. But I've been trying to make it a regular part of my routine so that it eventually becomes second nature.

I'm curious if anyone has ever been called out for carrying? I discovered the hard way this weekend that one of my shirts is not as well suited to carrying as I thought. Apparently it gets hung up on the grip texture of the gun I carry, so it does not slide down over the weapon as easily as it should. That resulted in someone seeing what they shouldn't have while I was visiting my dad at his assisted living facility. Thankfully, it was handled in a very reasonable fashion, but someone did ask me to put my gun in my car while I was there. *sigh* I guess I've got some more work to do.
    Being a sweatshirt kind of guy it always appears not to be noticeable especially with a jacket on ! I use a canted cross draw which I believe lends itself especially well for concealment !

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I'm surprised by all the "wife doesn't/didn't know" comments.

How does that not come up in conversation or even getting ready together when going out or getting undressed at the end of the day etc?

Y'all living the I Love Lucy separate beds lifestyle out there or what?

o_O
    My wife knows I carry, but always acts surprised when she finds out that I am. Typically it is a comment about something "hard or pointy in my pocket" after holding my right hand and eventually brushing against me. (I carry IWB at 3 o'clock.)

We spent one night in downtown Fredrick recently for a few hours, visiting multiple shops and went to a restaurant. I had thought she knew for sure, but when we got back and I took it off, she asked, "you had your gun?" Since I'm still new to carrying, I was always wondering if others would notice, but after this it was a nice reassurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom