Have you ever been called out for carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snardo

Nov 25, 2019
    I confess! I'm a newb at the whole W&C thing. But I've been trying to make it a regular part of my routine so that it eventually becomes second nature.

I'm curious if anyone has ever been called out for carrying? I discovered the hard way this weekend that one of my shirts is not as well suited to carrying as I thought. Apparently it gets hung up on the grip texture of the gun I carry, so it does not slide down over the weapon as easily as it should. That resulted in someone seeing what they shouldn't have while I was visiting my dad at his assisted living facility. Thankfully, it was handled in a very reasonable fashion, but someone did ask me to put my gun in my car while I was there. *sigh* I guess I've got some more work to do.

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    Wife won’t let me leave the house with her if I’m printing enough to be spotted easily, so she calls me out all the time lol. She can spot someone who is carrying with pretty good accuracy.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I was open carrying my P228 in a shoulder rig in AZ a few years ago and got a compliment on it. Does that count?

-Rob

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Wife won’t let me leave the house with her if I’m printing enough to be spotted easily, so she calls me out all the time lol. She can spot someone who is carrying with pretty good accuracy.
    Well, she was polite enough not to call me out then. Haha

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I confess! I'm a newb at the whole W&C thing. But I've been trying to make it a regular part of my routine so that it eventually becomes second nature.

I'm curious if anyone has ever been called out for carrying? I discovered the hard way this weekend that one of my shirts is not as well suited to carrying as I thought. Apparently it gets hung up on the grip texture of the gun I carry, so it does not slide down over the weapon as easily as it should. That resulted in someone seeing what they shouldn't have while I was visiting my dad at his assisted living facility. Thankfully, it was handled in a very reasonable fashion, but someone did ask me to put my gun in my car while I was there. *sigh* I guess I've got some more work to do.
    I have a Pachmayr for my BullDog and my CZs all came with rubber grips, and many/most of my lighter weight shirts would hang up on them. I gave up on rubber for carrying concealed. I prefer rubber for shooting and gaming, but wood or polymer for carry.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Try carrying a bigger caliber next time we are carving up Bambi, maybe then she will notice lol!
    What does she have against 357 magnums? Pretty sure I had the 640 pro on me.

Maybe it's the fact that the first time she met me, I had a bloody knife in my hand. Distracted her from the normal waistline inspection?

Next time I will carry my custom colt pin gun or something equally flashy, just so she notices.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have a Pachmayr for my BullDog and my CZs all came with rubber grips, and many/most of my lighter weight shirts would hang up on them. I gave up on rubber for carrying concealed. I prefer rubber for shooting and gaming, but wood or polymer for carry.

*****That's a good tip. I teach the W&C class and we discuss this for folks that have concerns about printing, etc.. It is easy for a shirt or cover garment to hang up on the pistol if it is rubber, but also for some that have grip enhancers as some of us use in competition, etc... (sandpaper grips, etc..).

There are some carry configurations that lend themselves to having a cover garment get hung up and it is a good idea to experiment a bit to see what works best for your body type as well as what type of firearm/grip configuration you may be carrying and make adjustments as needed, especially if you have to stand/sit a bit, or get in and out of a vehicle, etc..

We have a great thread here on MDS regarding carry configurations, and it has a lot of pics of what has worked for folks that carry daily or have lots of experience with CCW even though our Maryland W&C permit does NOT restrict open carry.

I live in MoCo amongst folks that are still not used to seeing armed citizens, so someone spotting a "concealed" gun on a "citizen" might have them calling the police for a man with a gun, etc.. No biggie if you have a permit of course, but concealed means concealed so if that is what you are going for, there are plenty of options that can work really well for folks of all sizes, and at all times of the year.

Warmer weather I usually pocket carry, but in colder months a cover garment opens up a lot more options and it is easier for a CrossFitting, kinda anorexical looking guy like me to carry a larger framed pistol either IWB or OWB.

Pic below is not me, as I would be using (slightly) bigger weights than that dweeb and I don't 6 o'clock carry like he is...

Concealed means concealed! :thumbsup:

skiny.jpg

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I’ve never been “discovered.” I had planned on open carrying occasionally but haven’t gotten to it yet. It’s easier for me to just drop it IWB and head out. My wife has even told me a couple of times she had no idea when I had it and when I didn’t.

The majority of times I’ve carried have been cooler months and I can conceal a P365 easily IWB or OWB, but the few times I’ve used either holster just a T shirt have been mostly sufficient, provided I am not reaching or something. For the most part, since it’s wear and carry, I am not overly concerned.

If I were to be “discovered” and I was asked to put it in my vehicle, I would leave that establishment rather than have it announced that I’m going to put a firearm in a glove box. That’s of course easier said than done if you’re visiting someone in an assisted living facility.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Three times that I can think of over the years.

Two were very positive, along the lines of "how did you get a permit?".

The other was when we were doing some work at a California Pizza Kitchen in Arlington after hours. Round bar, square equipment so I was tacking in some pie shaped filler pieces. The manager was sitting there BSing with us and unbeknownst to me my shirt had ridden up and this douchebag snapped a photo but didn't say a word.

Next afternoon the client calls (from Massachusetts) and asks how it went, I started talking about the job and he went straight to the chase - "Were you carrying a gun last night?" Yep. "In a holster?" Yes, that's how guns are carried. "Is that legal?" and on and on. Quite entertaining schooling this guy on the law.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I carry IWB at 12 o’clock and have been asked many times if “that’s a magnum”..

“Why yes, yes it is.......”

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    A couple of weeks ago I was in a store with a customer. I was up on a ladder raising my arms (so shirt was up), and customer was on the ground by the ladder. I was sure he was going to bust me. But he never said a word, or indicated that he saw a thing. I figure if I can pass that test, then I'm pretty good for concealment

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    .... The manager was sitting there BSing with us and unbeknownst to me my shirt had ridden up and this douchebag snapped a photo but didn't say a word.

Next afternoon the client calls (from Massachusetts) and asks how it went, I started talking about the job and he went straight to the chase - "Were you carrying a gun last night?" Yep. "In a holster?" Yes, that's how guns are carried. "Is that legal?" and on and on. Quite entertaining schooling this guy on the law.

The manager was probably skeered you might choot him. He was casually BSing with you to gauge your mood and temperament.

Did that client give you more work, or did he drop you?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The manager was probably skeered you might choot him. He was casually BSing with you to gauge your mood and temperament.

Did that client give you more work, or did he drop you?
    It was a one off. Client was a GC from Massachusetts who had the install of the equipment put in their scope for the renovation. I don't usually work for GCs, most of the time it's for an equipment dealer or directly with the restaurant owner.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A couple of weeks ago I was in a store with a customer. I was up on a ladder raising my arms (so shirt was up), and customer was on the ground by the ladder. I was sure he was going to bust me. But he never said a word, or indicated that he saw a thing. I figure if I can pass that test, then I'm pretty good for concealment

*****Oh man, one of my favorite movies are the Naked Gun series of movies and it would have been *hilarious* if the customer had been looking up at you and said "Nice Beaver!" and you had said "Thanks! I just had it stuffed!" :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom