• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I did some research a while back and found that OC was not allowed in National Forrests only CC, and therefore you needed a permit. This is what I've always went with....

http://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf

• It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.

• Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general firearms deer season.

The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.

• People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as they possess a concealed weapon permit.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    I did some research a while back and found that OC was not allowed in National Forrests only CC, and therefore you needed a permit. This is what I've always went with....

http://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf

while that provision makes a specific allowance for CCW, i dont think OC is disallowed.

the page on your link specifically states that the laws that apply in national forests are state laws.

it then simply goes on to mention "cased gun laws" as an eexample of the laws governing carry of firearms in a national forest.

however, in a state that does not have cased gun laws, like for example VA, i would not think it applies.

obviously im no lawyer i could be wrong but that what that link seems to say to me.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I had to research jurisdiction once for a murder that happened in the river. Maryland owns all the way to the "low water mark" on the Virginia/ West Virginia side of the Potomac river. Dates all the way back to the land grant of King Charles I and The Charter of Maryland in 1632 and the Compact of 1785 between VA and MD.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I had to research jurisdiction once for a murder that happened in the river. Maryland owns all the way to the "low water mark" on the Virginia/ West Virginia side of the Potomac river. Dates all the way back to the land grant of King Charles I and The Charter of Maryland in 1632 and the Compact of 1785 between VA and MD.

Sure does I always liked rubbing that in people faces in WV when i went to college at Shepherd. Yeah I can be an A-hole :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom