• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Very cool. Any details on it?

It's a P1 with an alloy frame. I thought all P1s were alloy and all P38s were steel, but from what I've been reading, both were alloy frames post war. P1 was just the designation for the post war military version and P38 for the rest. All I know is I've wanted one since I was a little kid.

This one is in pretty good shape, it seems tight, but I don't any particulars on what to look for besides the obvious. This one is date stamped 7/81, so I'm assuming it was made in July of 81. The frame, slide and barrel numbers match. The mag is marked Walther P38.

Let me know if I'm off-base with my info or you know what I should look for on this gun. If I like shooting it, I guess I'll need a steel P38.

Jul 1, 2012
    Happy Birthday for sure, and I second the personal message to our fearless "leaders. "

I've always wanted a P.38 since I was a kid too, and since I recently got my C&R I've gone a little crazy putting together a comprehensive WWII P.38 / HP collection. Careful, it can be an addiction!

Is the P.1/P.38 now classified as C&R regardless of manufacture date (like a Colt Woodsman) ? If so which ATF update year is it listed in so I can reference to sellers ?

Or was yours imported in 1981 but manufactured in the 1950's?

Enjoy!

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Happy Birthday for sure, and I second the personal message to our fearless "leaders. "

I've always wanted a P.38 since I was a kid too, and since I recently got my C&R I've gone a little crazy putting together a comprehensive WWII P.38 / HP collection. Careful, it can be an addiction!

Is the P.1/P.38 now classified as C&R regardless of manufacture date (like a Colt Woodsman) ? If so which ATF update year is it listed in so I can reference to sellers ?

Or was yours imported in 1981 but manufactured in the 1950's?

Enjoy!

Yep, the post war P1 / P38s are on the ATF C&R list (so they don't need to be 50 years old to be C&R eligable). I think mine is dated 1977.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Congrats on the birthday and getting your C & R :party29:

Looks like you got a nice one, I received my C&R on 4/27 email out a half doz copies ordered a P-38 on 5/1 called the dealer yesterday it on it way to shipping not my birthday but l like the looks of the P-38.

It the first in a long line on my wish list !

Last edited:

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    It's a P1 with an alloy frame. I thought all P1s were alloy and all P38s were steel, but from what I've been reading, both were alloy frames post war. P1 was just the designation for the post war military version and P38 for the rest. All I know is I've wanted one since I was a little kid.

This one is in pretty good shape, it seems tight, but I don't any particulars on what to look for besides the obvious. This one is date stamped 7/81, so I'm assuming it was made in July of 81. The frame, slide and barrel numbers match. The mag is marked Walther P38.

Let me know if I'm off-base with my info or you know what I should look for on this gun. If I like shooting it, I guess I'll need a steel P38.

A WWII version of this is on my list, as are many other war era firearms. I still have much to learn though, so I couldn't direct you to any specifics on what to look for for more info.

So, if I read you correct, the P1 is post-war only? Is the P38 WWII era?

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    A WWII version of this is on my list, as are many other war era firearms. I still have much to learn though, so I couldn't direct you to any specifics on what to look for for more info.

So, if I read you correct, the P1 is post-war only? Is the P38 WWII era?

All ww2 guns were steel and were p38s. After the war there was a limited number of steel p38s (very limited...).... 99% of the post war guns were alloy frame and were under both the p38 and p1 model. The post war alloy guns whether p38 or p1 were essentially the same... only real difference has to do with if they have a reinforcing hex pin (supposed to help keep the alloy frame from cracking) and some minor differences in the length of the slide serrations (I think that might also impact slide width slightly). At least that is what I remember from my research some time back.

Jul 1, 2012
    All ww2 guns were steel and were p38s

Another war-era steel version was the commercial variant Model HP (Heeres Pistole) and is fairly uncommon. If you find one in decent shape for a decent price, snatch it up as a good investment. Marked with Walther banner where the "P.38" would be, and "MOD HP" (or MOD P38, rare) in front of the decocker/safety.

For a steel shooter a carefully selected Russian capture/dipped gun can't be beat, esp. late CYQ (Spreewerke) guns as they were captured from the factory and stored, many with little or no firing. Collectors have been shunning these for the most part and they can still be had at reasonable prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom