• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Upperbay

Oct 20, 2019
    Looking for feed back on second handgun purchase. Start with guns under 500.oo or very close. 9 mm or 45 are preferred. Like some input based on reliability and sights and safety access.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Taurus G3c--about $300--has a manual and trigger safety-mine has been dead reliable with a variety pack of ammo 10+1 --came with 3 mags--shoots where I point it--great carry gun

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Looking for feed back on second handgun purchase. Start with guns under 500.oo or very close. 9 mm or 45 are preferred. Like some input based on reliability and sights and safety access.
    What was the first handgun purchase?

One of the things I try not to do when I'm looking at buying a firearms these days is put a price limit on it. This isn't to say that I go crazy - I don't - but if one limits themselves to just $500, it narrows the selection considerably. For example, I won't go crazy and spend $4k on a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or Ed Brown 1911, but I'll spend $1500 on a Dan Wesson 1911, or $850 for a used H&K USP 45, or $800 for a lightly used Sig Mk25.

For $500 and less, you're going to be looking at some barebones polymer framed options:

Glock
    Springfield XD
    Ruger M&P
    Canik
    Etc.

You'll have to decide if you want something nicer from a brand with a reputation for quality, or if you'd want something else maybe a bit rougher around the edges.

Maybe a better option would be to find something you really want at a reasonable price, and then patiently wait until you have the money for it. You'll never regret it that way.

Last edited:

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Taurus G3c--about $300--has a manual and trigger safety-mine has been dead reliable with a variety pack of ammo 10+1 --came with 3 mags--shoots where I point it--great carry gun
    For self defense it is adequate. My Security-9c was not a lot more.

How much one spends is up to them.

I want reasonable quality and absolute reliability.

Just like any hobby, it can get as expensive as you let it.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What was First purchase ?

What potential purposes to be filled by second proposed purchase ?

And in the real world , $ sometimes matters , and sometimes a price range is relavent ,so up to $500- ish is a valid initial discussion point . ( If you'd said not over $300 , we'd be trying to talk you into $500 .)

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Here's everything you can new buy under $500. Mostly off brands and carry guns(g48 mos is a good choice though). Try changing parameters to $700 and the world is your oyster. Limit it to $450-700 and you will be very happy with what you buy.

Also the used market is a great place to look but you need to find the one you want. United Gun shop is a great place to look.
    Under $500
    $450-700

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thanks for all replys. Home defense, reliable is what I'm looking for.

Ok , that's An Answer to one question .

For the other Important Question , what was your First ( and presumably only ?) Handgun ?

[ Why we keep asking , is to get a feeling of where you're already at . Maybe we'd suggest something very similar . Maybe something complementary to has different/ additional strong points beyond the rather basic ones of go bang reliably , and chambered in vaguely plausible defensive caliber .]

Upperbay

Oct 20, 2019
    Ok , that's An Answer to one question .

For the other Important Question , what was your First ( and presumably only ?) Handgun ?

[ Why we keep asking , is to get a feeling of where you're already at . Maybe we'd suggest something very similar . Maybe something complementary to has different/ additional strong points beyond the rather basic ones of go bang reliably , and chambered in vaguely plausible defensive caliber .]
    I've owned or own 2 hand guns. Years ago and now gone .22 revolver. Current single action revolver in 44 mag. Looking to move towards a semi auto.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Gotcha ! You have Large & Powerful fully covered then .

Attempting to read your mind . and in line with current trends . you would likely be looking for a " compact- ish " 9mm . i.e. large enough for you to shoot well , compact enough to be plausible to eventually carry in a good holster .

In generic outline , a grip just long enough to fit all * your * fingers , bbl length in 3.5 to 4 inch ball park , polymer or alloy frame . with a trigger system that * you * can shoot reasonably well .

I could tell you what that is for me , but if nothing else it's discontinued and above your price range . Meanwhile , standby for a dozen recommendations within those parameters .

Now you need to fondle , dry fire , hopefully shoot several .

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    If that were my budget and I could only have one, I'd get a Glock that was optic ready. With aging eyes, I'm sold on Red Dot sights.
    If you go for high capacity, you have to have them pull any high capacity mags and go buy them in V, WV or PA.

GLOCK G43X MOS 9mm 3.4" 10rd Optic Ready Pistol

$485.00

SMITH & WESSON MP9 Shield Plus 9mm 3.1" 10/13/15rd COMBO No Thumb Safety

$399.00

SMITH & WESSON MP9 Shield Plus 9mm 3.1" 10/13/15rd Pistol w/ Thumb Safety …

$399.00

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    And there's this
    1675730151551.png

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Most of my experience is with Glocks. They are very reliable and, for the most part, budget friendly and because of their popularity you can guarantee that you‘ll be able to find parts for them if you ever need to. The magazines are also interchangeable if you want to start a collection in the future. On the subject of magazines, they are also about 1/3rd the cost of a magazine for a Sig.
    Somebody mentioned United Guns in Rockville. They tend to offer a $50 discount for ordering guns through their website instead of picking them up in the shop. It adds a week to the delivery, but mostly worth it in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom