• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • [Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I picked up this 44 mag Ruger Bisley Hunter a while back and was looking for some pointers from the brain trust on how to shoot a scoped handgun. The weight is pretty intense. I was thinking of a shooting stick (which kinda defeats the compactness of the handgun) or would resting the barrel on the bar of a tree stand be an option?
    DA8B9880-117F-453F-AB1C-98C34E60CFF8.jpeg

The parallax can be challenging. What are your experiences when hunting scoped?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I picked up this 44 mag Ruger Bisley Hunter a while back and was looking for some pointers from the brain trust on how to shoot a scoped handgun. The weight is pretty intense. I was thinking of a shooting stick (which kinda defeats the compactness of the handgun) or would resting the barrel on the bar of a tree stand be an option? View attachment 374882

Try the Primos Trigger Stick. Your treestand rail idea works too. A branch, anything. I have a Taurus 454 Casull with a scope and the whole package is pretty heavy, not to mention front-heavy with the 8-3/8” barrel. The Trigger Stick is (in my opinion) easier to carry and use when using the handgun than with a long gun. Chest holster for the wheelgun, carry the Trigger Stick like a hiking/walking stick, with both hands free.

Now finding the crosshairs in the scope is another matter altogether.....

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Try the Primos Trigger Stick. Your treestand rail idea works too. A branch, anything. I have a Taurus 454 Casull with a scope and the whole package is pretty heavy, not to mention front-heavy with the 8-3/8” barrel. The Trigger Stick is (in my opinion) easier to carry and use when using the handgun than with a long gun. Chest holster for the wheelgun, carry the Trigger Stick like a hiking/walking stick, with both hands free.

Now finding the crosshairs in the scope is another matter altogether.....
    Do you have any suggestions for a chest rig.? I'm actively looking for one now.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Mine is a “Gun Mate” brand holster, camo. Can’t remember where I got it, most likley Bass Pro or Cabelas. Sadly I cannot find it anywhere online right now, but if I remember it was about $65-$75. It came with a big velcro strap /cover, which I took off. If I was going to get real crazy in mountainous terrain, I’d probably put it back on to keep the pistol from dropping out, as the holster itself isn’t gun-specific, it’s essentially just a big nylon scabbard without any kind of retention that hangs around my neck. I don’t recommend this as the be all and end all holster solution, but it will work for your needs under normal hunting conditions, until you need or want better.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I picked up this 44 mag Ruger Bisley Hunter a while back and was looking for some pointers from the brain trust on how to shoot a scoped handgun. The weight is pretty intense. I was thinking of a shooting stick (which kinda defeats the compactness of the handgun) or would resting the barrel on the bar of a tree stand be an option? View attachment 374882

I do not use anything other than iron sites and at 50 yards I get 4" to 6" groups. .500 S&W Mag.

Attachments

• 20220730_150110.jpg
      20220730_150110.jpg
      111.6 KB · Views: 36

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have a scoped .41mag Blackhawk , simply because it came so equipped , at a price that was fair on an unscoped .41 Blackhawk .

Accuracy is certianly good , but then , within the range of iron sighted Blackhawks .

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Scoped pistols can be challenging, the higher the power the more it looks like
    "tremors", shakes, etc. Prefer to stick in the 2X-4X range. I find a good prop
    whether it be a tree, rock, haven't used "sticks" and practice, throwing a scope
    on a pistol depending on which type changes the "feel" sighting vs. open sights,
    forget about the weight of bases, rings, and scope.
    Have several different "types" of pistols with scopes. All Leupold EER, XP-100's (4x),
    Redhawk (4x), Contender 357 Herrett 10"BBL (4x), Contender 30 Herrett 10" BBL
    (2x). Deer hunting was always with the 357 Herrett where allowed. Free Handing
    was always interesting. It's like the higher power you go on rifles, the more you
    notice movement. all the JDJ barrels have no scopes. When I went to the range
    I would place the pistol on the bag at the grip part, if there was a flat surface it
    would be the grip, other wise would rest the barrel against the tree, or on a
    pine tree limb. Could be like Elmer Keith, wear chaps and use his shooting position

-Rock

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom