• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I recently purchased some Underwood 10mm hard cast 220 grain ammo. In looking online at Underwood and Buffalo Bore, both have hard cast with similar specs In Foot pounds Energy and FPS. The Buffalo Bore is considerably more expensive. In doing a cursory look across various calibers from both brands, the price of the B.B. seems to be consistently higher. I have some Buffalo Bore for other handguns. Is there something about B.B. that I’m missing to compensate for the higher pricing? Links to both in 10mm below.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    All of my full power 10mm stuff is Underwood that I bought years ago before the current stupidity set in. Prices then seemed to be on par with others of similar specs. Not sure what could have changed other than maybe their suppliers and what their costs are.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Buffalo Bore has always been more expensive in my experience. Their claimed energy levels made them something of a niche producer.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I recently purchased some Underwood 10mm hard cast 220 grain ammo. In looking online at Underwood and Buffalo Bore, both have hard cast with similar specs In Foot pounds Energy and FPS. The Buffalo Bore is considerably more expensive. In doing a cursory look across various calibers from both brands, the price of the B.B. seems to be consistently higher. I have some Buffalo Bore for other handguns. Is there something about B.B. that I’m missing to compensate for the higher pricing? Links to both in 10mm below.

I love their ammo but they are always OoS on many calibers.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Buffalo Bore has always been more expensive in my experience. Their claimed energy levels made them something of a niche producer.
    I don't mind paying more if the quality is there or the product is better in some way. On the 10mm 220 grain, the specs are near identical. I have not shot the underwood yet. Eventually I will also buy some BB to do a comparison. Just a bit surprised at the price difference. The 10 (M&P) is a recent purchase, and I want to get a few hundred more rounds of range ammo through it before I go to the full power loads.
    I have some BB for a 357, and it seems to me to be significantly more powerful than various 357 rounds.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I don't mind paying more if the quality is there or their is better. On the 10mm 220 grain, the specs are near identical. I have not shot the underwood yet. Eventually I will also buy some BB to do a comparison. Just a bit surprised at the price difference. The 10 (M&P) is a recent purchase, and I want to get a few hundred more rounds of range ammo through it before I go to the full power loads.
    I have some BB for a 357, and it seems to me to be significantly more powerful than various 357 JHP rounds.
    Years ago I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I had some Buffalo Bore stuff for it that they claimed was only safe in Rugers and Marlin carbines. I was expecting to do some camping and hiking in bear country so I assumed the ridiculous cost was worth it because nobody else produced a round like it.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Have to check, but I think I have several boxes of BB 10mm if you're interested that I would sell. Located near Eldersburg. PM me if you want more info and I'll find it.

Great ammo.

Last edited:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Have to check, but I think I have several boxes of BB 10mm if you're interested. Located near Eldersburg. PM me if you want more info and I'll find it.

Great ammo.
    Will do.

Looking online at other 10mm. Choice Ammo has similar specs, and is also priced higher than Underwood.

Perhaps Underwood is behind the inflation curve a bit.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Haven’t used underwood but Buffalo bore exceeded their speed claims for me and were able to consistently hit an 8”plate at 100 yards with me shooting.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    BB has some nice stuff optimised for short barrels. They use low flash powder as well. I like their hard cast wadcutters as a 38 snubby carry round.

If you're real Old School, you might be interested that they carry a load for the .455 Webleys. Boer hunting, anyone?

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I've seen no difference in performance between the two, except in price. Underwood has always been cheaper than BB or Doubletap. And shoots just as well. I love Underwood's 45 Super ammo in my Ruger Blackhawk convertible. It is hot and effective. And really accurate. BB is good too, just don't see anything to justify the price difference. Plus Underwood has something like $7.99 flat rate shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom