• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello all,

I have found quite a few "levels" of handguards and wanted to see if anyone here has had experiences with any of them or suggestions:

1) Matric Arms Free Float 15" M-Lok $54
    2) NBS Free Float M-Lok 15" $60
    3) PSA Partial Pitcanny M-Lok 15" $110
    4) Aero Precision Atlas One M-Lok 15" $135
    5) BCM MCMR M-Lok 15" $160

There are handguards well beyond the $160 price point, but IMO they suffer from diminishing returns. The #2 level has hundreds and hundreds of great feedback so it is hard to ignore. I am finding it difficult to justify going to 3, 4 or 5.

Are there other handguards I should consider or thoughts on the ones listed above?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have the Matrix Arms 15" on a 9mm PCC. Shockingly well built for the price. Very thin and light. IIRC Matrix is OEM for something else

Edit: per @JTH20 Matrix is an OEM for some FN parts

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My absolute favorite in terms of look and feel is the Diamondhead V-RS T. They're not particularly light though if you care about weight above all else.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have seen and experienced a lot of spec issues with the low-end, usually the mounting hardware. Aero's ATLAS are good, nice and slim, good mounting setup, but does need the barrel nut to be clocked. Midwest and Aero are my go-to for building decent stuff on a budget.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I was surprised about the Matrix Arms handguard. I really had low expectations when I installed my 1st one. I have used Matrix, Midwest, Diamondhead, Aero, Spikes and a few others I cant remember. I would use them all again. I would pick Aero because if want FDE or OD besides black is the only reason.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Personally I would go with either the Aero or the BCM rails from the ones you mentioned. The barrel nut and barrel nut lockup is vastly superior to the others.

That said, if all you are after is an ultra basic rail, then any of these will likely be ok.

One more to consider is Stag Arms rails. They are made by Aero and have the exact same barrel nut lockup design, but they often sell a few bucks cheaper and also sell blems for even more of a discount. The one blem my friend got, we couldn't find the blem.

You can easily google 10% off coupons for both Aero and Stag.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air

Thanks folks. I ended up going with the NBS handguard based on the 485 reviews (99% were 4 or 5 stars). I also got the BCM barrel and Larue trigger so wanted to save some money on other pieces. I ended up deciding to try the NBS upper to go with the Aero lower. I will report back when I get everything and see how it all goes together.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've used the 12.5" version of the PSA on two builds. I kinda like it - seems to do ok. I didn't buy it in FDE - I colored it that way with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II.

03E9A290-4392-4A1F-A140-E45BFD61AE1D.jpeg

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am working on 1 stamp PHoney Badger with a Spikes Receiver Set, 11.5" Ballistic Advantage Barrel, Aero BCG, bought a Shockwave Blade Brace so I can do the mock-up and stay legal before the Suppressor that will be pin and welded. Will probably throw 1x8 LPVO on it. Depending on the mock-up the configuration may change slightly.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I am working on 1 stamp PHoney Badger with a Spikes Receiver Set, 11.5" Ballistic Advantage Barrel, Aero BCG, bought a Shockwave Blade Brace so I can do the mock-up and stay legal before the Suppressor that will be pin and welded. Will probably throw 1x8 LPVO on it. Depending on the mock-up the configuration may change slightly.

Sounds like a great build.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Sounds like a great build.
    Depending on the mock up I may change out the non-firing folding adapter for a Strike Industries PDW Stock once the stamp and the suppressor gets pinned and welded.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Depending on the mock up I may change out the non-firing folding adapter for a Strike Industries PDW Stock once the stamp and the suppressor gets pinned and welded.

Pinning stamp and suppressor is the next topic I want to read up on.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    The NBS just arrived and I am very pleasantly surprised. I will report back when I build it all.

IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    OK - installed the NBS handguard. Pretty satisfied with the end result. The fit is quite good. The only issue I have is that barrel nut seemed to be a non-standard connection. I ended up using a crescent wrench to tighten it. I don't have a torque wrench for a crescent so I wasn't able to tighten it to the correct tension. Is that an issue?
    IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1701.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK - installed the NBS handguard. Pretty satisfied with the end result. The fit is quite good. The only issue I have is that barrel nut seemed to be a non-standard connection. I ended up using a crescent wrench to tighten it. I don't have a torque wrench for a crescent so I wasn't able to tighten it to the correct tension. Is that an issue? View attachment 389502 View attachment 389503 View attachment 389504 View attachment 389505
    Only if it comes loose. The rail didn't come with the necessary crow's foot wrench head?

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Only if it comes loose. The rail didn't come with the necessary crow's foot wrench head?

Don't think so. It came in a larger box as part of a larger order so it is possible I missed it. I make a habit of completely emptying boxes and breaking them down so it's unlikely I missed it, but possible.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I am in MoCo and have a torque wrench and a set of crow feet; PM me if you want to tighten to spec.

Thanks a lot. Already have a torque wrench but didn't know the crows feet existed. Just picked up a set to do myself. Thanks for the suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom