• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeinHtown

Jan 23, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I don't post often, and this is a bit delayed, but I'll throw in my $.02, but offer no returns on your investment. In the interest of full disclosure, I live in Hagerstown and love baseball, so you can probably expect my answer. I'll stay out of the discussion on the use of public funds or Meritus, though I have some opinions, they're pretty immaterial I think here, just my opinion.

The stadium is actually very nice-- obviously no comparison to old municipal, which I actually quite liked for its nostalgia and history, until the place totally fell apart. Obviously, it's brand spanking new, great seats all around, and quite affordable (I think some tickets are maybe $12-$14, which for 2024, not bad). They have a cool little bar, with decent selections if you like a beer or two with your dog (you do, don't you?!), but make sure you get the drinks there as the concessions stands seem to only carry limited options.

The concessions are what I'd say are acceptable, and again, I am a beer and hotdog man at a ballgame, but in speaking with my family/friends, the crab fries are great, the pizza is, well, pizza, pretzels are pretzels... you understand. You won't be walking away thinking, "that was the epitome of a culinary experience" but I've had much worse at MLB stadiums.

I've never had an issue with parking, maybe it's the luck of the Swedish, I don't know. YMMV.

Sorry, this rambled, but heck, it's baseball, dogs, beer, in the sun, how can you ever go wrong with that combination?! :)

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I don't post often, and this is a bit delayed, but I'll throw in my $.02, but offer no returns on your investment. In the interest of full disclosure, I live in Hagerstown and love baseball, so you can probably expect my answer. I'll stay out of the discussion on the use of public funds or Meritus, though I have some opinions, they're pretty immaterial I think here, just my opinion.

The stadium is actually very nice-- obviously no comparison to old municipal, which I actually quite liked for its nostalgia and history, until the place totally fell apart. Obviously, it's brand spanking new, great seats all around, and quite affordable (I think some tickets are maybe $12-$14, which for 2024, not bad). They have a cool little bar, with decent selections if you like a beer or two with your dog (you do, don't you?!), but make sure you get the drinks there as the concessions stands seem to only carry limited options.

The concessions are what I'd say are acceptable, and again, I am a beer and hotdog man at a ballgame, but in speaking with my family/friends, the crab fries are great, the pizza is, well, pizza, pretzels are pretzels... you understand. You won't be walking away thinking, "that was the epitome of a culinary experience" but I've had much worse at MLB stadiums.

I've never had an issue with parking, maybe it's the luck of the Swedish, I don't know. YMMV.

Sorry, this rambled, but heck, it's baseball, dogs, beer, in the sun, how can you ever go wrong with that combination?! :)
    Thanks for the trip report!

When we went to Potomac Cannons games while dating they had a remarkably good Italian sausage.

I’m always interested in little gems like that. :thumbsup:

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    AA baseball is way underrated and some of the best fun and value a fan can get. Last year my 18 year old daughter and I took a week long motorcycle ride to visit a number of minor league ball parks. We caught games at the Bowie Baysocks, Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, Harrisonburg Senators, and Altoona Curve. The Hagerstown team I guess was on hiatus last spring or we would have put them on the tour. We saw some great ball games and rated all the hotdogs we got at each stadium and she wrote up her high school senior project paper on minor league baseball and gave her hotdog ratings for each park. Fun dad/daughter times.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    AA baseball is way underrated and some of the best fun and value a fan can get. Last year my 18 year old daughter and I took a week long motorcycle ride to visit a number of minor league ball parks. We caught games at the Bowie Baysocks, Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, Harrisonburg Senators, and Altoona Curve. The Hagerstown team I guess was on hiatus last spring or we would have put them on the tour. We saw some great ball games and rated all the hotdogs we got at each stadium and she wrote up her high school senior project paper on minor league baseball and gave her hotdog ratings for each park. Fun dad/daughter times.
    You don’t have a pdf of that paper you can share with us do you? :yummy:

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    You don’t have a pdf of that paper you can share with us do you? :yummy:
    I'll see if she can dig it up. Her rating system for the hotdogs was pretty interesting using baseball as an analogy. An average hotdog on just an OK bun might be a single. If the condiments were good it might be a run scoring single. A great grilled all beef hot dog on a fresh bun with the best condiments might be a home run. Less than average dogs could be a walk, a strike-out, or even a reached on hit-by-pitch. Any hotdog that left us feeling ill was an "ejected in the first inning."

IMG_2078-XL.jpg

Yeah, she puts ketchup on a hotdog so I'm not sure she's my daughter.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I still don’t understand the level of baseball played there. They way oversell their importance on their website, they don’t specifically say they equate to Low A, High A, AA, or AAA. I work a couple miles from the York Revolution stadium and my company has season tickets, which is an independent league team as well. The head guy at the stadium told me they were about equal to AAA, BTW this isn’t even remotely accurate, which is how I’m reading the Boxcar’s site as well. Just curious. I love minor league baseball, but have no desire to pay to see advanced semi-pro ball. I played highly competitive semi-pro ball into my mid 30’s and would rather watch guys that are a touch above that or better. The stadium looks beautiful on TV BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    shatter

Latest threads

Top Bottom