• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I know that many of you, like me, work on guns - especially the AR platform, but also pistols. For those who do and have had the opportunity to try one or more, is the one you might like more than others?

I ordered a Wheeler Universal Bench Block today - there were some other less expensive options that looked like the same thing, but I bought the Wheeler because I have other Wheeler tools such as the Fat Wrench, trigger pull gauge and a set of roll pin starter punches. Those all seem to be ok, so I figured, why not?

I ordered this block right on the heels of ordering a Stan Chen SI magwell for a 1911 - the installation video showed the use of a bench block, and I figured that picking one up couldn't hurt.

Anyway, I'm curious what everyone else is using - I'm not opposed to picking up other tools that I think would be worth it over the long haul.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I haven’t splurged for one yet a piece of wood with a hole usually does the trick.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I haven’t splurged for one yet a piece of wood with a hole usually does the trick.
    I suppose there is that. Now I feel like an idiot for spending money on a designer block of plastic, although I like the idea of a bench block that is specific to certain aspects of a build. For example, support for driving the pin for an AR trigger guard - I've heard horror stories of people snapping one off because it wasn't properly supported while driving the pin, and I know that some blocks have those things built in.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I suppose there is that. Now I feel like an idiot for spending money on a designer block of plastic, although I like the idea of a bench block that is specific to certain aspects of a build. For example, support for driving the pin for an AR trigger guard - I've heard horror stories of people snapping one off because it wasn't properly supported while driving the pin, and I know that some blocks have those things built in.
    It’s nice I’ve used them, they look more professional and since it’s rubber its grippy vs wood which can slip. I have plenty of specialty tools and having the right tool makes the job easier!

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    For example, support for driving the pin for an AR trigger guard - I've heard horror stories of people snapping one off because it wasn't properly supported while driving the pin, and I know that some blocks have those things built in.
    Wheeler has a tool for that. I do have the gray bench block. It’s got a lot of the various shapes to help with various tasks.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hockey puck
    I've read that. I read that guys will take a hockey puck, cut a groove down the middle, and drill various holes in other places.

That's a lot of doin' - I don't have a hockey puck, and my Wheeler block was delivered to my door after I ordered it off of Amazon using the app on my phone.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The Lyman X-block is pretty useful. I also scored a couple hockey pucks off eBay 'cause for longer stuff you might need two.

You also need a good variety of punches (brass and steel) and a set of roll pin holders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom