• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    Shouldn't all guns work in the rain? Assuming they should, do you think gun manufactures actually test them in wet weather?

If you're wondering why I'm asking, it's because I was watching a YT video about conceal carry gun recommendations. The guy was testing a bunch of guns to see how he liked them, but it was raining out. One gun, the Canik Mete MC9 which I'm interested in, kept failing to return to battery.

BTW, it didn't even look like it was raining hard. More like a drizzle was happening.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I can't speak to Canik's test policies but would expect them to test in many rough environments.

I would also think that something else was causing that issue rather than a bit of rain.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Many new guns require several hundred rounds before they are worn in and will function correctly particularly completely returning to battery. It is completely normal.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've never seen 'just rain' affect firearms operation and we've had ARs and semi-auto shotguns out in some pretty brutal conditions. I have seen extremely cold temperatures combined with improper lubes slow things down.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Many new guns require several hundred rounds before they are worn in and will function correctly particularly completely returning to battery. It is completely normal.
    Many? Several hundred rounds? Completely normal?

Maybe because I've only ever bought reputable brands, I've NEVER experienced anything like this.

I've owned several Glocks and Sigs, some Smiths and Berettas, even a few Springfields and Rugers. At least 8 different 1911 brands. Never had a single one require any break-in. Not one. Every one functioned 100% from the box. Some had accuracy issues, but not function.

And it can't be that I'm lucky, because I'm not.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My wife's P365 had random failure to go into battery for the first 200 rounds.

Had a student bring a M&P that did the same. The M&P would go into battery if you flinched when it hung up; the Sig had to be helped.

Yes, you've just been lucky. It is NOT uncommon.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is why I keep a condom over my muzzle. Rain or shine. You can never be too careful.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I remember getting my first Lee-Enfield after moving to the US & replacing all I had to surrender.
    We went to the Allentown fairgrounds gun-show & Bought the rifle, a sling, a few boxes of 180Gr & Mil Surp ammo. a stapler, a cleaning kit, some patches & targets.
    Then we headed to the 100yd range on the State Gamelands, It was POURING down, so we stopped on the way & bought one of those "Gorton's Fisherman, rain cape trousers & Sou'Wester" & carried on.
    Everyone was huddled under the tree, we sat down unpacked & zeroed.
    If a firearm won't go where I want to go when I want to go there it gets replaced with one that will.
    Before someone speaks out, the rifle was detail stripped as I do with any new to me firearm, thoroughly dried & slicked up with waterproofing grease under the wood that same night.
    That's one reason I like MilSurps, you don't have to Baby them!

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    My wife's P365 had random failure to go into battery for the first 200 rounds.

Had a student bring a M&P that did the same. The M&P would go into battery if you flinched when it hung up; the Sig had to be helped.

Yes, you've just been lucky. It is NOT uncommon.
    I love how the industry with the help of gun mag writers have convinced many people that guns do not have to be reliable out of the box. We are responsible for break-in and tweaking. I guess that's why I don't buy many new guns.

I would also argue that 50 years ago, other than target shooters, most guns never got shot more than a couple hundred rounds, if that much.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I love how the industry with the help of gun mag writers have convinced many people that guns do not have to be reliable out of the box. We are responsible for break-in and tweaking. I guess that's why I don't buy many new guns.

I would also argue that 50 years ago, other than target shooters, most guns never got shot more than a couple hundred rounds, if that much.

Overall , semiauto pistol reliability nowadays is way way better than pre 1985 .

Now , the expectation is that everything actually works out of the box , with virtually all ammo . So much so , that any abiration is noteworthy to be shared .

Usta be , break in periods to work with fmj was automatic . If it would work with one type of jhp after break in you high five'd your self .

There was an entire segment of the gunsmithing industry that specialized in doing " reliability packages " on brand new pistols .
    .[ I won't mention what changed the consumer expectations in the 1985 to 1990 era ]

Gun enthusiasts shot at least as much in the 1970s as today .

If anything , with typically more compact herds then , each firearm probably fired more rounds .

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Never had any issues with my M16A1 functioning in the rain. Hated trying to keep it clean during the rainy season.

If rain effects the function of a firearm, it is time to get a different firearm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom