• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Just an FYI . . .
    I use Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber spray when doing odd firearm related cleaning, especially action and trigger parts. I bought a 2-pack (2 x 10oz. each) from Amazon Prime last May for $11.99 + MD tax. Price for the SAME product on Amazon is now $23.60 + MD tax!

Good news: Walmart.com sells the same product for $5.45 per can. I ordered 7 cans to get free shipping, which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (next day). This totals up to $5.78 per can with MD tax.

(Maybe this post should go in another forum, but this product is related to gun cleaning which all shooters must do(?), and I think is widely used.)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Just an FYI . . .
    I use Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber spray when doing odd firearm related cleaning, especially action and trigger parts. I bought a 2-pack (2 x 10oz. each) from Amazon Prime last May for $11.99 + MD tax. Price for the SAME product on Amazon is now $23.60 + MD tax!

Good news: Walmart.com sells the same product for $5.45 per can. I ordered 7 cans to get free shipping, which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (next day). This totals up to $5.78 per can with MD tax.

(Maybe this post should go in another forum, but this product is related to gun cleaning which all shooters must do(?), and I think is widely used.)

Pay close attention, and you'll find this sort of thing across the board with Amazon. I had 40 dollar Chex Mix pop up yesterday.

Another favorite trick is to default your shipping options to charging for shipping, when your order dollar volume is sufficient that the order can ship for free. If you're not paying attention, and are too quick to place the order, you probably won't even notice it. They're banking on it no doubt.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    With things like that also need to make sure it is the same size can and the same ingredients. Over the years Gunscrubber has changed its recipe.

Now, it could be the exact same thing in this case and just odd pricing policies between the 2 or maybe the carrier one uses charges more to ship an aerosol can. Don't know..........

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They use algorithms for pricing. My kid wanted a certain pair of shoes, $90 in stores, $150 on amazon, $75 from the manufacturer's website + 10 in shipping, $75 and free shipping from the website for the store selling for $90.

Works the other way too, have gotten some screaming deals by just checking different options on a product I wanted, like a certain size or color being way less expensive. C-more railway sights(polymer, click switch) are normally $299 for all dot sizes most places, but on Amazon have gotten them for $200. Recently got the dot module I wanted separately for $30 while the sight with that size included was $300, saved $70 and got 2 LED modules. Sometimes works awesome for things with MAP pricing(can't advertise under a price set from the manufacturer) like pocket knives or scopes, can buy from the manufacturer on Amazon, and the algorithm prices it under MAP.

They use algorithms for pricing. My kid wanted a certain pair of shoes, $90 in stores, $150 on amazon, $75 from the manufacturer's website + 10 in shipping, $75 and free shipping from the website for the store selling for $90.

Works the other way too, have gotten some screaming deals by just checking different options on a product I wanted, like a certain size or color being way less expensive. C-more railway sights(polymer, click switch) are normally $299 for all dot sizes most places, but on Amazon have gotten them for $200. Recently got the dot module I wanted separately for $30 while the sight with that size included was $300, saved $70 and got 2 LED modules. Sometimes works awesome for things with MAP pricing(can't advertise under a price set from the manufacturer) like pocket knives or scopes, can buy from the manufacturer on Amazon, and the algorithm prices it under MAP.
    Their algorithms can really work in your favor if you dig around. I recently found Columbia insulated raincoats in 2 specific size/ color combinations for $29 each. The others were going for $100+.
    The best ever was a specific $700 Ab Biller speargun I watched drop to sub $100 before someone bought it. The next day it was back up to the $700 range.

ETA- To get an idea of how their algorithms work, click on the link below and start clicking on the different colors. The prices vary wildly, with the big sellers having the higher prices. Every once in a while you can click on a color that hasn't sold in a long time and get a killer deal.
    Amazon product ASIN B01AAH8CMA

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Their algorithms can really work in your favor if you dig around. I recently found Columbia insulated raincoats in 2 specific size/ color combinations for $29 each. The others were going for $100+.
    The best ever was a specific $700 Ab Biller speargun I watched drop to sub $100 before someone bought it. The next day it was back up to the $700 range.
    I got a $1200 optic for $450 once. Real-deal, new in box, wasn't Warehouse. Just the algorithm at work on a very niche piece of gear without a lot of demand.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air

This is why I have a pink phone case!

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    I've also noticed the price of Gun Scrubber varying widely on multiple sites online. I've essentially done what the OP has done... stock up when the price is right... watch prices and buy when the price is right again to stay ahead of the game.

J

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I'm aware that Amazon employs algorithms, it's what they are based on that irks me. Inflationinflationinflation. Cost of goods going up. Yeah, right. Energy (oil) companies posting record profits, car companies (Stellartis/Dodge) posting record profits, etc. etc., while us shmucks pay $4+ for gas, and "marketplace adjustments" (prices over MSRP) for cars. Primers??? And the list goes on . . .
    Sorry, a rant belongs elsewhere.
    But check out the cheap Gun Scrubber at Walmart.com.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I've also noticed the price of Gun Scrubber varying widely on multiple sites online. I've essentially done what the OP has done... stock up when the price is right... watch prices and buy when the price is right again to stay ahead of the game.

J
    Really, that's all one needs to do. Price check around, make sure sizes are equivalent, then buy. No one is forced to buy from any particular place

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom