• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I was talking with a buddy of mine and he claims they closed the door on Jne 28, 2014 for THE last time.

Nicholas

May 18, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I posted earlier that the note on the Gun Rack door said that they could not make a profit in Maryland because of the restrictive gun laws however I think they may have said Montgomery County Maryland. That makes perfect sense to me. I once had to have some ammo sent to a friend in another County because the supplier would not ship to Montgomery County Md.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    There were a number of reasons, I have no doubt SB281 had a small effect but not significant.

1- employee attitude towards new customers sucked.
    2- fat boy was a slob and a snob (insert typical sniff here).
    3- very limited inventory beyond handguns.
    4- as mentioned gross store.
    5- prices pretty much sucked, if your prices are high you better have good customer service.
    6- location sucked, especially at rush hour.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    There were a number of reasons, I have no doubt SB281 had a small effect but not significant.

1- employee attitude towards new customers sucked.
    2- fat boy was a slob and a snob (insert typical sniff here).
    3- very limited inventory beyond handguns.
    4- as mentioned gross store.
    5- prices pretty much sucked, if your prices are high you better have good customer service.
    6- location sucked, especially at rush hour.

With all that going for them what could have possibly gone wrong?

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    With all that going for them what could have possibly gone wrong?

Ditto...been there and my experience was the same. Bought there out of necessity and never went back.

Heard at the range there is a new gunshop in Rockville by the pike somewhere. I'll go thre if I can find it as I forgot the name of the place.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Ditto...been there and my experience was the same. Bought there out of necessity and never went back.

Heard at the range there is a new gunshop in Rockville by the pike somewhere. I'll go thre if I can find it as I forgot the name of the place.
    Ditto on your ditto Brother. Their customer service sucked. I vowed 10 years ago never to set foot in their store again and didn't.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    United gun shop is on Randolph, just north of 355. I stopped by not long after they opens and really liked the folks there. I need to go back. Not sure if this is the one to which you refer, but it is the nest that I'm aware of

---
    Shamr0ck

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I went in once with about $600 to spend, maybe a little more. After ignoring me for quite a while, the conversation went like this.

Do you have any Glock 34 or 35? "No. Not much call for them."

Do you have a Ruger SR-1911? "No. That gun is garbage. Way too many problems."

Do you have any CZ-75's? "Nope "

Ok, thanks for your time...

Walked out, never returned.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I went in once with about $600 to spend, maybe a little more. After ignoring me for quite a while, the conversation went like this.

Do you have any Glock 34 or 35? "No. Not much call for them."

Do you have a Ruger SR-1911? "No. That gun is garbage. Way too many problems."

Do you have any CZ-75's? "Nope "

Ok, thanks for your time...

Walked out, never returned.

There's nothing like trying to make a customer feel like a fool to boost sales!

Jeproks

Jan 8, 2013
    Bought my first handgun from them but CS always sucked. Prices were too high when I was looking for a Tavor and a HK MR556A1. They wanted $800 over retail for the Tavor and $1k over retail for the HK. I wanted to support LGS as much as I can but $800 is just too much.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    I do believe SB281 did do them in. But not for the reasons one might think. The markup on banned assault weapons they had prior to the 10/13 deadline probably turned some people off. Now I don't know if they overpaid to have them in stock as a favor to us poor MD residents, but I doubt it helped their business in the long run. Add in their other issues like location, parking, etc. and the hand writing was on the wall.

The Internet is going to hurt lots of businesses and gun shops are probably going to feel it the worst as they are one of the few if only remaining mom and pop businesses left that haven't fallen to the franchise boom. Throw SB281 on top of that and it only gets worse. In ten years our only choices may be the Internet or a big chain like Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, or Cabelas.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Never really went in there but I am friends with Al. He simply no longer wanted to deal with the hassle of MD laws. He made a lot of money last year and with the money he put away over the years he was able to retire. Simply did not make sense for him to stay open not making money AND have to deal with SB281.

Last edited:

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I didn't think the prices were that bad. In like 2009 I bought an Obama-AR for like $1050 (Bushmaster). Lots of panic buying going on then...

My main beef with that shop was you would go in there on a Saturday and there would be like 5 customers milling around waiting for someone to help them and they have this ONE guy tasked with helping them all. That guy certainly wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed either and took his sweet damn time with everything.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Only occasion went by in past 20 years since didn't regularly be in that part of the world.

Some prices high , some average , but my impression was seeing thinks in stock , that I wasn't seeing elsewhere.

What some here saw as dusty clutter , I saw as a treasure trove of cool N.O.S. Stuff .

Sometimes had to work at getting attention , but I like to look over things at my leisure w/o having a salesman up my butt , so a wash for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom