• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I'm still hoping to hook up with some fellow MDS'ers at Loch raven sometime soon. I would have never thought I'd be talking about 65 degree days this close to Christmas, but at least it makes shooting a bit more comfortable so maybe in the next few weeks!?

MamaTried

Only me to blame 'cause..
    Dec 10, 2015
    Bmore City
    I'm still hoping to hook up with some fellow MDS'ers at Loch raven sometime soon. I would have never thought I'd be talking about 65 degree days this close to Christmas, but at least it makes shooting a bit more comfortable so maybe in the next few weeks!?

I'm thinking about trying to get there on Wednesday lunch, or early Thursday ( with them opening at 10 ). I joined this week.

Oh and nice write up. SC seems like a fun thing to do....when its warm out!

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I'm thinking about trying to get there on Wednesday lunch, or early Thursday ( with them opening at 10 ). I joined this week.

Oh and nice write up. SC seems like a fun thing to do....when its warm out!

Let me know when you decide on the day/time and I'll try to stop over. I think they're doing the 100 round SC course at Oxford this Sunday as well if you're wanting to give that a shot.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Trap shooters are a different breed. I think they mean well but can be off putting to new shooters. The other clay target sports can be tough to get started in, but worth it after you are able to relax a little and have fun.

I started trap shooting back in the early 80's as a snot nosed 20 year old. My future father in law took me to Loch Raven. I picked up on the sport easily and was breaking 23 & 24s a round.

But I can remember this one round, where I couldn't have hit a bird if it was placed on the ground 10 yards in front of me. Well, after the 3rd or 4th straight miss, I showed a little too much emotion. My father in law looked at me and I could see I crossed THAT line. After the round, a guy from the club came to me and told me that my actions were unacceptable. My father in law got into a little trouble and I was told to take the shot, and don't make much more than a sour face if I miss. All this for stomping my foot to the ground.

I learned a lesson that day. We continued shooting until his health declined and he died of cancer. But that was one of the most unwelcoming events in my life.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Personally, Loch Raven excursions have always been pleasant for me. They eyed my 21" Mossy with side saddle but let me play on. I've gotten a more appropriate field barrel since then.

Golfers are even worse. Not all, but many are jerks from the get go. If shooters were the same way as a whole, our shooting sports would have been dead decades ago.

Starting out in pistol competition, I shot several events at a well know Baltimore county club. There was a group in that Baltimore county club range that were arrogant as hell. The ONE major reason I never joined their club.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    No one starts any sport/hobby as an instant pro, everyone has to pay their dues and put the time in to improve (or not if they chose and that's fine too). I have no time, or patience, for arrogance or the d-bags that typically throw it around.

I'm happy to meet up at LR whenever I'm available, and if anyone wants to come check out Oxford Gun Club for some sporting clays sometime just let me know here or thru pm :thumbsup:

MamaTried

Only me to blame 'cause..
    Dec 10, 2015
    Bmore City
    Let me know when you decide on the day/time and I'll try to stop over. I think they're doing the 100 round SC course at Oxford this Sunday as well if you're wanting to give that a shot.

I'll send you a PM when I get a better idea of the weather. I'm staunchly fairweather for shotgun sports :-D Lots to do on this particular Sunday, and I'm nowhere near ready for 100 rounds of SC, but come springtime...

I started trap shooting back in the early 80's as a snot nosed 20 year old. My future father in law took me to Loch Raven. I picked up on the sport easily and was breaking 23 & 24s a round.

But I can remember this one round, where I couldn't have hit a bird if it was placed on the ground 10 yards in front of me. Well, after the 3rd or 4th straight miss, I showed a little too much emotion. My father in law looked at me and I could see I crossed THAT line. After the round, a guy from the club came to me and told me that my actions were unacceptable. My father in law got into a little trouble and I was told to take the shot, and don't make much more than a sour face if I miss. All this for stomping my foot to the ground.

I learned a lesson that day. We continued shooting until his health declined and he died of cancer. But that was one of the most unwelcoming events in my life.

Yikes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom