• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Headed to shoot in a registered tourney with PJDiesel and a few other fellas today. Shot a 100 round SC course at Owens Station in DE. It was a long windy day with cold temps and some tough targets (in my opinion) but I had a great time. Learned a lot watching PJ and Chris shoot and managed a 74 myself for 3rd place in E class. Won $68 and earned my first punch towards moving to D class. Still a bit confused about how the punches and different classes etc., but I'll learn as I go.

All in all for my second registered shoot I couldn't be happier. Between what I've learned from PJ and his crew and the fitting/couple lessons with Jack Bart I can honestly say I'm hooked in a big way. Learning to shoot two eyes open and with an occluder is challenging but I'm starting to see the results and what is possible with practice.

Good times today Phil, now take your time filling this thread with smack talking and personal jabs. I enjoy that crap more than the shooting

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Still a bit confused about how the punches and different classes etc., but I'll learn as I go.

Let me take a crack at explaining... punches and the classification system....ever heard of the Peter Principle?.......shoot to the level of your incompetence.

Today you did exceptionally well for an "E-class" shooter...I'll bet if you looked, a 74 would have placed well into C Class.
    Eventually you will punch into the higher classes and eventually will rise to where your score doesn't compete, that is unless you have the time, resources, and desire to be a Master Class shooter.

When I started, you were placed in C-class. Over 15 years of shooting sporting I've proven I'm a C class shooter 75 -80 range. In those 15 years I've earned one punch and I was about 30th in the tournament, multiple people tied for 3rd.

To put it simply, NSCA classification has nothing to do with grouping and competing with shooters of equal ability.
    Again, congrats on your 74, a fine score for just starting out.

PS - don't take this rant personally...the NSCA class system is a pet peeve of mine. I love clays, but I can't justify the entry fees knowing I don't stand a chance winning my class and if I do get lucky my level of incompetence will rise!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mdsec

Sep 28, 2014
    Congrats... I aspire to consistently breaking 25 at wobble trap so I really respect a 74 in sporting.

Getting paid $68 to break clays doesn't sound too bad either.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Congrats... I aspire to consistently breaking 25 at wobble trap so I really respect a 74 in sporting.

Getting paid $68 to break clays doesn't sound too bad either.

Thanks man. I wouldn't say getting paid tho, more like I got $68 of my $130 back (I threw in $30 in other bets).

Let me take a crack at explaining... punches and the classification system....ever heard of the Peter Principle?.......shoot to the level of your incompetence.

Today you did exceptionally well for an "E-class" shooter...I'll bet if you looked, a 74 would have placed well into C Class.
    Eventually you will punch into the higher classes and eventually will rise to where your score doesn't compete, that is unless you have the time, resources, and desire to be a Master Class shooter.

When I started, you were placed in C-class. Over 15 years of shooting sporting I've proven I'm a C class shooter 75 -80 range. In those 15 years I've earned one punch and I was about 30th in the tournament, multiple people tied for 3rd.

To put it simply, NSCA classification has nothing to do with grouping and competing with shooters of equal ability.
    Again, congrats on your 74, a fine score for just starting out.

PS - don't take this rant personally...the NSCA class system is a pet peeve of mine. I love clays, but I can't justify the entry fees knowing I don't stand a chance winning my class and if I do get lucky my level of incompetence will rise!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I get what you're saying completely. I reached for a golf analogy to essentially understand classes and punches like keeping a golf handicap. Essentially it's the same sort of principle. I also can see how paying $100+ for entry fees could get old quickly. I don't "plan"on shooting a ton of registered events I mostly shoot "fun" rounds. I really just want to shoot as often as I can and enjoy it. The thrill of competing, getting better, and just watching them break are all addictive however, and I'm certain it will draw me to more tourneys than I "plan" to attend.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I think I heard this right but if I'm off PJ can correct me. I think one of the 2 fellas that shot 97 today was the setter for Pintail.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    A little forum trivia:

Shotgun Joe......can't hit a clay worth a damn. Tossing them with my hand, I can hit every one. Having a mechanical thrower......shooting in a proper setting- can't get out of single digits.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Playing around with a hand thrower and seeing NSCA tournament set presentations is two different worlds.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    A little forum trivia:

Shotgun Joe......can't hit a clay worth a damn. Tossing them with my hand, I can hit every one. Having a mechanical thrower......shooting in a proper setting- can't get out of single digits.

Interesting. Different strokes for different folks.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    D Class flunky. I'm going to bleed my way into C Class where I DEFINITELY can't place.....:(

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Interesting. Different strokes for different folks.

I honestly believe it's simply a lack of doing it. There aren't any public ranges near me that offer clays and the range that I belong to....well, the trap shooters do not seem too open to welcoming newcomers, which is a shame.

I shot a few times at Loch Raven solo and with a few folks from the forum and enjoyed myself. A reactive target is much more fun than paper.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I honestly believe it's simply a lack of doing it.

I hear ya. I got lucky when PJ told me about Oxford skeet and trap. That's a 35 minute drive I don't mind making anymore. Also joined Loch raven so I have a couple options. Joining these two places was KEY for me.

PS - I couldn't agree more, A reactive target is much more fun than paper.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Congratulations. I began shooting registered targets this year, I've shot 1950 targets this year between May and November and believe I have locked up the all state title for E class.

Although the NSCA punch system is imperfect, I believe it works as well as any classification system. I've laid off the registered targets at the end of this year but look forward to picking up again in 2016. Good luck with the targets, they are fun, challenging, and expensive.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Congratulations. I began shooting registered targets this year, I've shot 1950 targets this year between May and November and believe I have locked up the all state title for E class.

Although the NSCA punch system is imperfect, I believe it works as well as any classification system. I've laid off the registered targets at the end of this year but look forward to picking up again in 2016. Good luck with the targets, they are fun, challenging, and expensive.

Damn, that's impressive! Congrats on the all state title and hope to shoot with you sometime in 2016.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I honestly believe it's simply a lack of doing it. There aren't any public ranges near me that offer clays and the range that I belong to....well, the trap shooters do not seem too open to welcoming newcomers, which is a shame.

I shot a few times at Loch Raven solo and with a few folks from the forum and enjoyed myself. A reactive target is much more fun than paper.
    Trap shooters are a different breed. I think they mean well but can be off putting to new shooters. The other clay target sports can be tough to get started in, but worth it after you are able to relax a little and have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom