• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Wow, I can't believe the responses here. Even if they are tongue in cheek. I just wish he had kept his mouth shut, and he likely wouldn't be in this mess. Either way, this case could be a VERY good case for all of us, depending how high it ends up going. I'll bet it gets dismissed, before they realize the implications and his resolve in the matter.

I'm also tired of the bastardization of the term Good Samaritan. He was just a good man.

Atomevolution

Mar 29, 2014
    This guy is a hero, without question. I'm on his side. The police should have used discretion and he probably shouldn't have volunteered that he had a gun on him. The one thing I can't get past is that he shouldn't have had that gun on him, plain and simple. Whether the law in MD is nonsensical or outdated, it is what it is. Part of being a responsible gun owner is abiding by current law. In this case, it could have saved him a huge headache. Maybe this is the a catalyst for lawmakers to rethink current law and reciprocity. It sucks that he's at the forefront of it and his freedom hinges on it. Factually though, he's wrong and I can't see how he intends to get out of it based on current law.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I hope several pro gun organizations reach out to this guy. It looks like he would be the perfect candidate for a court case to push for national reciprocity of carry permits.

Brikhaus

Jun 7, 2013
    Western Marylandistan
    law is law. Plain and simple. He broke that. There are consequences. No one is exempt.
    You don’t have to agree with laws. But you have to follow them

The law in question is an unjust law. The fact that people simply accept governmental overreach is sad!

Jury nullification is a thing. I would vote to acquit.

Yes, this should be applied much more frequently! It would help with the above!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm also tired of the bastardization of the term Good Samaritan. He was just a good man.

I don't agree. "Good Samaritan" does not equal hero. This man actually went beyond being a good Samaritan.

In the parable, the good Samaritan gave aid to a man that other people ignored. He didn't put himself in the path of a bullet, or even an angry fist.

Good Samaritan and "good man" are roughly synonymous. This man went above that by risking personal injury.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    This guy is a hero, without question. I'm on his side. The police should have used discretion and he probably shouldn't have volunteered that he had a gun on him. The one thing I can't get past is that he shouldn't have had that gun on him, plain and simple. Whether the law in MD is nonsensical or outdated, it is what it is. Part of being a responsible gun owner is abiding by current law. In this case, it could have saved him a huge headache. Maybe this is the a catalyst for lawmakers to rethink current law and reciprocity. It sucks that he's at the forefront of it and his freedom hinges on it. Factually though, he's wrong and I can't see how he intends to get out of it based on current law.
    Not a choice they could make. Certain crimes don't allow for discretion, this is one of them.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I don't agree. "Good Samaritan" does not equal hero. This man actually went beyond being a good Samaritan.

In the parable, the good Samaritan gave aid to a man that other people ignored. He didn't put himself in the path of a bullet, or even an angry fist.

Good Samaritan and "good man" are roughly synonymous. This man went above that by risking personal injury.
    No they are not. The whole point of the Samaritan is that he was considered other. The injured man was a Jew, and a Jewish priest and another Levite passed him by. The Samaritan was hated by the jews. The parable was used to show that even those you hate are still your neighbor, worthy of Love. Defending those you love does not make a good samaritan, defending those for whom you have contempt does. If you think helping the enemy of your own tribe, in those times especially, does not put one at risk, well...

law is law. Plain and simple. He broke that. There are consequences. No one is exempt.

As for the law, I thought Bruen established that we have a right to carry for protection outside the home?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    As for the law, I thought Bruen established that we have a right to carry for protection outside the home?
    It did, but they specifically made allowances for various aspects of the permit process.

They only shot down a requirement for a 'good and substantial' reason. This man wasn't denied a MD permit, he apparently just didn't have one and was therefore in violation of the law... one that has not (yet) been ruled unconstitutional.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Maybe Im wrong,but do you thing he took the perp's gun and now is calling it his?
    I read the story on another thread,and the cops said they couldn't find it

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Yeah YEAH!!!! The law is the law. Be a good little boy and don't send your colored children to white schools. Don't protest in the streets. It was OK to disarm and gas a couple of million people nearly a century ago. It was the law. Imprison a few hundred thousand Japanese Americans because it was the law. Imprison hundreds of Americans for trespassing on the capitol, because it was the law. Be a good citizen and follow it. Report and serialize your home made firearms. Let a criminal murder you in your own house if you can't run out the back door. Follow the law. Annapolis craps all over our civil rights, follow the rules so you don't look bad.

JFC I get tired of that trope. In case you haven't heard we're Americans and we don't follow un-just laws. I'm finding this guy and donating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom