Good resource on Washington state hunting laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And yes, I've used the eRegs and I am left confused AF.

I think it is just so foreign to how MD does things.

But if anyone has a good resource, please pass it along. I am not looking for the nitty gritty, just the high-level overview. I am mostly interested in deer and elk hunting as a resident. It is years away, I know stuff is likely to change/adjust, but my wife and I are seriously looking at retiring/moving out there in likely about 10-15 years. Just trying to get some idea of what I am getting myself in to. Yes, I know no state is going to be as generous as Maryland's "kill as many as you possibly can, and then please kill some more". Especially for Central Maryland. With my kids grown up and moved out, a couple of deer sized game a year is probably plenty.

My takeaway is this, as a resident, you get a license for the appropriate big game. Does that automatically get you a tag? Or do you have to separately apply for a tag and is there a lottery? I saw the section on special tags that appear to be for a second deer in a license year, with varying degrees of average points need, how many people typically apply, and how many tags are issued a license year, with a cap of, I think it was, 4 tags you can apply for (I am fuzzy on if you can only bag one deer extra total? Or if it is one per special license you win?)

Is Elk pretty much the same way? Or are all Elk tags by lottery, even for residents?

I guess it might almost be easier to convey that as a resident of almost anywhere, it would suck BAD if I basically get told by the state "oh sorry, you didn't luck out and you can't hunt any big game this year". A guaranteed deer (well, if I connect), great. More is fantastic. It would especially suck if I was a private land owner and the state tells me "oh, too bad, you can't hunt on your property because you didn't draw a tag in a lottery this year".

I'd be less mussed if Elk was by lottery, so long as there was a reasonable chance I could hunt one every two or three years.

Basically, I wouldn't want to move west, only for my own private land not mean much for hunting, and effectively be stuck with only public land (yes, I know it is much nicer public land out there) on top of basically needing to enter a ton of state lotteries just to have a chance of drawing a tag. Somewhere. And maybe needing to enter lotteries in Oregon, Idaho, Montana, etc. and spend a LOT more money, and drive hours and hours away just to be able to keep hunting.

And staying in Maryland is about a zero chance for me (and not likely to be staying nearby either).

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    First off, be ready for the lead free ammunition that most states have been pushing for big game.

Seems straight forward for elk, buy a tag in the area you want to hunt.

You can sign up for any of the special hunts, but must stop hunting after you harvest an elk.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    First off, be ready for the lead free ammunition that most states have been pushing for big game.

Seems straight forward for elk, buy a tag in the area you want to hunt.

You can sign up for any of the special hunts, but must stop hunting after you harvest an elk.

Thanks! I did another hour of digging, and I think I got the gist of the deer hunting also. Both deer and elk for a resident seems to be you can buy a license and you get a tag for ONE season, and one deer or elk. Deer I think is statewide? Elk is either Eastern or Western when you get your license. You can apply for a season wide tag, that for Elk also makes it statewide. So you can hunt in all three weapon seasons, rather than just the one season you bought your license for with complimentary tag. Lottery system for those. Unclear what the rate of winning the lottery on those state wide tags is. It does NOT allow you an extra deer, it just "unlocks" your tag.

There is supposedly a second deer tag? I still haven't figured out what or how to get one. I assume a lottery. There are also special hunt permits, those are all by lottery for the tag, but you have to get a second deer tag to put in for them? But that seems to be by lottery? Or they mean that the special hunt permits entitle you to the second deer tag? That is part that I am super confused about.

It is somewhat less worrisome than I was originally thinking. Still no MD.

I did also investigate Vermont, so I am considering VT/NH/ME if I stay east coast. VT is simple, max 4 deer, limit 1 legal buck (legal buck in some of the state has to have at least 3 inch antler on one or more side, in some of the state two or more points on at least one antler). Gun season is bucks only I think. Archery and ML you can harvest any sex. And I think late gun is also any sex? Basically one in archery, one in ML, one in general firearms and one in late firearm seasons? And archery, ML, and late season can be any sex, and general firearms has to be a buck. And no more than one buck a season. I think that's my understanding. Oh and you can put in for moose. You'll just probably never win a lottery for a moose tag.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Thanks! I did another hour of digging, and I think I got the gist of the deer hunting also. Both deer and elk for a resident seems to be you can buy a license and you get a tag for ONE season, and one deer or elk. Deer I think is statewide? Elk is either Eastern or Western when you get your license. You can apply for a season wide tag, that for Elk also makes it statewide. So you can hunt in all three weapon seasons, rather than just the one season you bought your license for with complimentary tag. Lottery system for those. Unclear what the rate of winning the lottery on those state wide tags is. It does NOT allow you an extra deer, it just "unlocks" your tag.

There is supposedly a second deer tag? I still haven't figured out what or how to get one. I assume a lottery. There are also special hunt permits, those are all by lottery for the tag, but you have to get a second deer tag to put in for them? But that seems to be by lottery? Or they mean that the special hunt permits entitle you to the second deer tag? That is part that I am super confused about.

It is somewhat less worrisome than I was originally thinking. Still no MD.

I did also investigate Vermont, so I am considering VT/NH/ME if I stay east coast. VT is simple, max 4 deer, limit 1 legal buck (legal buck in some of the state has to have at least 3 inch antler on one or more side, in some of the state two or more points on at least one antler). Gun season is bucks only I think. Archery and ML you can harvest any sex. And I think late gun is also any sex? Basically one in archery, one in ML, one in general firearms and one in late firearm seasons? And archery, ML, and late season can be any sex, and general firearms has to be a buck. And no more than one buck a season. I think that's my understanding. Oh and you can put in for moose. You'll just probably never win a lottery for a moose tag.
    Never say never. You can't win unless you enter...

I got lucky in 2021 and drew a moose tag in Maine. I can't hunt moose until 2024 in Maine because of the 3 year hiatus after being drawn..

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Never say never. You can't win unless you enter...

I got lucky in 2021 and drew a moose tag in Maine. I can't hunt moose until 2024 in Maine because of the 3 year hiatus after being drawn..
    Well dang. I mean, if I do end up being a resident anywhere there are moose or close by, I would for sure be putting in for moose lotteries. Lotteries in general I need to look in to more soon. I haven't had the time in life to participate if I did win. But I am getting to an age, or I should say that my kids are getting to an age, where it is getting possible. Also a $$$ thing. I am not aware of any state as a non-resident where a moose lottery isn't going to involve at least $1000+, before any possible guide, travel, etc. I like to do stuff alone or with friends/acquaintances. But I also know a number of states for moose require a guide. And frankly if I am going in on something that might be a once in a lifetime thing, I am not sure spending a couple thousand (several thousand?) dollars is actually a waste of money. Elk I'd be more reluctant to spend on a guide, just because I am hoping (maybe naively) that I would have a few opportunities in my life. If I move out west, I'd hope it would be an opportunity every year or three. Granted, if I am moving out in my mid to late 50s, that might still not be all that many opportunities if it is every 3 years. Especially not while I am young enough to handle an elk hunt on my own.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you are going to start entering hunting lotteries.

Start a lottery fund to squirrel some money away to take the bite out of all of the costs for when you are drawn. Through the years, if you have a 5-10k stash built up, that should be more than enough to get you started on a hunt of a lifetime.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Check out a YouTube channel called Samong Outdoors. Kid kills a LOT of deer, turkey, bear, elk in WA on public, as well as neighboring states as a non res.

Go back 4 or 5 years, his earlier stuff is way better than last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom